Idiots

keira

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Almost all McDonalds breakfast items have meat or something that started out as meat (pork). That's why I stopped trying to get breakfast there.

Are you vegetarian, or do you just dislike pork and/or McDonald's meat?

I eat meat (and love it), but the crap they put in some of their breakfast things is enough to make me swear off meat if I couldn't get decent stuff.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
McDonalds this morning. Apparently, Egg McMuffins come equipped with ham.

Almost all McDonalds breakfast items have meat or something that started out as meat (pork). That's why I stopped trying to get breakfast there.

Can you think of a mainstream restaurant that doesn't serve meat in every menu item? Even salads generally contain loads of fried chicken.

What's "mainstream" in restaurants? Plenty of pastas can be meat-free. Just about any Asian cuisine, from the Middle East to Japan, has its vegetarian options. Only Europe has exceptional meat fixation.

—Alorael, who isn't a vegetarian. He just says he is because he doesn't like the taste or texture of of meat and explaining that takes too much effort.

Originally Posted By: Instant Nostalgia
What's "mainstream" in restaurants? Plenty of pastas can be meat-free. Just about any Asian cuisine, from the Middle East to Japan, has its vegetarian options. Only Europe has exceptional meat fixation.

—Alorael, who isn't a vegetarian. He just says he is because he doesn't like the taste or texture of of meat and explaining that takes too much effort.

By mainstream, I am refering to your typical large chains like Applebees. Suburban areas don't tend to have the wide variety of cuisine choices that urban dwellers enjoy. It's all just as well, since I don't like eating out anyway.

Originally Posted By: Reality is not a toy.

I love me my meats, but there are a number of things I would change if I were in charge. A lot of meat is too fat. I can't stand the taste and texture of fat. Stringy beef is the worst. Also, dry meat is nasty, as it dries out my mouth.

Most meats seem to be lacking in flavor (at least in my mouth). Bacon, of course, is delicious, but chicken, turkey, and beef all seem pretty bland. I only taste the seasonings in all but the best beef.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
In other words, I much prefer spinach over lettuce in a salad. To me, the latter is just a surface for dressing to adhere to.

Purslane FTW!

If only Dikiyoba didn't have anti-green thumbs and could actually grow it. You know your gardening skills are a failure when you can't get weeds to grow.

Everywhere has Chinese. Everywhere that isn't immensely rural will have at least one non-chain offering, and even rural areas are likely to boast a lone Thai place in driving distance or the Indian hole in the wall that you can't actually find.

—Alorael, who prefers spinach as well. Romaine is good, but spinach is just better. Also, it sautées better.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I find that barbecued, seasoned meat manages to hold flavor quite well.

Mmm...lamb with mint sauce and garlic is where it's at...or plain deer meat.

Deer meet is amazing. Salt, pepper, and a teeny bit of garlic makes it even better. And for beef, if its grounded, just adding salt will make it good.

English has this squeamish need to name different kinds of meat completely differently from the animals from which it comes. Pig meat is pork, cow meat is beef, sheep meat is mutton (though meat from younger sheep is lamb), deer meat is venison.

Anyway, venison is indeed great, but if it comes from hunted wild deer, it has to have been treated properly. Certain glands have to be cut out of the carcass promptly, or the meat will all taste kind of sour and musty. Some people have only ever eaten venison obtained by inexpert hunters, and so they think that's how venison tastes. It doesn't have to.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
English has this squeamish need to name different kinds of meat completely differently from the animals from which it comes. Pig meat is pork, cow meat is beef, sheep meat is mutton (though meat from younger sheep is lamb), deer meat is venison.

It just comes from the Norman invasion of 1066 (which dumped a ton of Norman French into English) and the fact that food words are borrowed more quickly and more easily than anything else.

It was hardly the case, though, that the Saxons weren't eating pigs, cows, sheep, or deer before those Normans showed up and taught them the joy of grill. So it can't have been borrowing like 'curry' and 'chow-mein' (if those are even borrowed and not just made up).

I've always heard it suggested that it had something to do with prestige: the Saxon words got associated with peasants digging muck in the pen, and the Norman words with lords reclining at table.

Merriam-Webster bears out that the animal words come from Old English (except pig, which only has an etymology back to Middle English) and that the food words come from Latin by way of Anglo-French.

—Alorael, who imagines that the Normans brought a fair amount of new Norman cuisine with them. The animals were the same, but the food products (at least when highly prepared, as the aristocracy would eat them) were new and kept the Norman terms. So it might be the case that food adopts fast because generally it's convenient to keep the foreign word for a new dish, and the nobility is more likely to get those new dishes, so they're more likely to be the word-adopters.

Originally Posted By: Reality is not a toy.
—Alorael, who sees nothing wrong with a more ecologically-friendly 11th trimester abortion. Okay, actually he sees several things wrong with it, but reducing carbon footprint comes with sacrifices. Like humanity.
the cost of raising a child till 18 can pay for 299 orphins in africa to eat till they are 18.

Two words: Head cheese. To the squeamish: I know it sounds gross and looks a bit weird, but doesn't taste all that bad.

I stopped eating breakfast at McDonalds because 1) by my tenth birthday, I was a better cook than any given McDonalds' entire staff combined, and 2) the last time I had breakfast at McDonalds, I had a sausage mcmuffin that was 3 parts "muffin," 2 parts "meat," one part gristle & spices, and 5 parts grease of unknown origin. If I eat out for breakfast, I go to a regular restaurant and order an omelette.

Quote:
Excalibur: "It's The Mystic's birthday. Happy Birthday Mystic!"

Anyone Else with Them: "Happy birthday!"

A belated thanks.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I stopped eating breakfast at McDonalds because 1) by my tenth birthday, I was a better cook than any given McDonalds' entire staff combined,

Well, you don't know that. You're better at cooking when comparing to the food McDonald's workers "cook" (and by cook I mean reheat from frozen), but criticising the workers, who don't actually make the food, for the content of said food is unfair. Also, I know a great cook who worked at McDonald's for a while. tongue

Also:

http://media.cpoy.org/62/images/C62-13-NahrD-02.jpg (Warning: not for the faint of heart (or stomach)).

Again, I'm glad I ate. While that image doesn't really bother me, it's definitely not something I would frame on my wall.

My brother worked at Pizza Hut for a while. He's not the greatest cook, but he's better than what you get from Pizza Hut. Comparing home made foods to fast food is like comparing apples to dust bunnies.

Morally reprehensible? This happens on a semiregular basis at factory farms and other such mass production centers for cows and pigs. This will, one day, become your steak or sausage. Either you deny it and become a vegetarian(enjoy your pesticides), eat fish (mmmmm, heavy metals), be tormented by a guilt conscience, or accept it, like me. I find that viewing the process through the lens of the result, in this case a delicious steak, does a wonderful job of eliminating life's moral quandaries.

Yes, this is my thought process in real life grin

It's a cold view, but I've adopted it too. I want to be rich, but I know that for me to become above average, other people have to go down. It's not fair, and communism works great on paper, but life is life. Kill or be killed. I'm going to go rest my brain before I say something I regret.

Yeah, no kidding. "As long as I don't have to think about it, it's not wrong."

Nalyd has no problem killing living, sentient things. He watches those "horrifically revealing" anti-meat farm videos for fun. Looking at your picture, Nikki, he's wondering if they can't find something to use all that wasted blood for.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Morally reprehensible? This happens on a semiregular basis at factory farms and other such mass production centers for cows and pigs. This will, one day, become your steak or sausage. Either you deny it and become a vegetarian(enjoy your pesticides), eat fish (mmmmm, heavy metals), be tormented by a guilt conscience, or accept it, like me. I find that viewing the process through the lens of the result, in this case a delicious steak, does a wonderful job of eliminating life's moral quandaries.

Yes, this is my thought process in real life grin

It doesn't bother you that there are legitimate alternatives to factory farmed pig, cow, chicken or sheep, and you discard those options out of hand?

Also, nice pic Nikki. It's a good example of why I don't buy any form of factory farmed animal for consumption.

I grew up with a hunter/fisher as a dad. I almost always stayed up to watch him gut the fish and helped him skin the deer or defeather the goose. Can't say the sight of a bloody corpse bothers me much. They were food when the McDonalds ran out.

Can't say I feel at all guilty either. That's the way nature works, and I don't see any other carnivore/omnivore batting an eyelash of guilt for feeding their bodies with the protein of another's. Not that I do anything other than respect a person's choice to be a vegetarian, but the concept that eating meat is morally wrong just seems silly to me. It's the natural cycle of life which has been in place since before man existed.

"I couldn't kill an animal, so I shouldn't eat meat," is a bad argument. I can't perform, say, thoracic surgery. I lack the skills, but I also lack the desire to acquire the skills because I don't handle that much gore very well. Does that mean I shouldn't be able to have thoracic surgery if I need it? Not being willing to kill animals is a different matter.

If you are eating what is dead, you are, in a small way, responsible for things continuing to die. Depending on what kind of meat, you could be responsible for things living and dying horribly.

The solution? Free-range, organic everything! I hope you're really okay with everyone else going down for your wealth to increase to that point.

—Alorael, who actually doesn't think living on organic, free-range, and so on food is that unreasonable. It is more expensive, though. Pick that luxury and you're giving up something else.