A4 on windows, unplayable

tehpineapple

Hi there, I decided to try out the demo of A4 on windows, and was sadly disappointed at how laggy it is. inventory management is just impossibly slow, and not only that, as the game progressed the game just got slower and slower until it eventually crashed my computer, and now the game will not run anymore. (some sort of error handling exception and CTD whenever i try to load a game).

I'm not looking for a solution to this problem, since there probably isn't one. However, I would like to know 2 things:

1) Does the mac version have these problems?

2) Will my windows savegames work with the mac version?

Thank you for your time.

Thanks, and by the way, I don't blame Jeff for these problems, I blame Bill Gates; I assume the mac version won't have lag issues, but I'll post again if it does. (It might be illuminating since its the same game on the same machine AKA dualboot intel macbook pro)

I attempted to answer the second question myself, and simply replacing the mac save folders with the windows ones does nothing, so unless there's a 3rd party porting program, I'm out of luck with the saves. Arg! Oh well.

Originally Posted By: tehpineapple
^ thanks for confirming. And Wow! What a difference in performance between mac and pc. Even small details are better in mac (i.e. leather pants actually look different than regular pants.)

Mac FTW

Leather pants not looking different from regular pants isn't a Mac/PC difference; it's a consequence of using the Fast Graphics options in the preferences. The Mac version is better optimised, though.

Interesting, I think I've encountered similar lag before, on Avernum 4, Of course, that was just before my older system seemed to DIE..., RIP old Computer.... In any case, I think I'll be checking Avernum 4 again soon. Good luck to all..

P.S. I don't recall my computer crashing on Avernum 4 though. It was sometimes lagged though. Hopefully, my newest computer is immune to any lagged effects. I will check soon.

Seems, okay for now, I just ran through some of the first goblin dungeon without any performance issues, it might be slightly slow during an autosave, but I currently have Antivirus software active and I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU at 3Ghz per core.. and 2Gbytes of RAM, and a GeForce 8500 GT by XFX, and Running Windows XP 32-bit. Oops, guess I overdid my explanation a bit... I wish everyone good luck. Bye for now.