levels damage[G5]

Basically, it means four more dice of damage. Your weapon says it does X to Y damage. Divide Y by X and you get the size of the weapon's dice. For example, a sword that does 4-32 damage has 8-sided dice.

Each level rolls one more die to determine damage. +4 levels rolls 4 more dice. With the hypothetical sword you'd do an average of 18 more damage.

—Alorael, who shall add that points in strength and melee weapons or pole weapons (or bows, or throwing, or whatever else is applicable) are also levels of damage.

Quote:
—Alorael, who shall add that points in strength and melee weapons or pole weapons (or bows, or throwing, or whatever else is applicable) are also levels of damage.

Er, wrong series, but the general idea is true.

At least, Dikiyoba is pretty sure that the bonus to combat level means it applies to your melee attack, missile attack, and offensive spells.

Does it apply to magic? My assumption has been that it applies to physical combat only, and I'm not even sure it applies to non-melee. I suppose it might say "melee levels" then, though.

—Alorael, who will cede the field to someone who has paid more attention to these engine details. Also someone who doesn't suddenly think he is discussing Avernum.

ok i finished testing it, with 5 battle magic and 1 spellcraft my attack searer does on average 33 damage(not counting acid), with the +4 levels damage in combat my searer does on average 47 damage(also discounting acid),

so the +4 levels damage does indeed work with battle magic spells as well as pysical meelee.