Are you prepared?

Spddin Ignis

Of course they do. That was brain failure. But do bacteria have an equivalent to phagocytosis/pinocytosis or does everything have to be small enough for pumps?

—Alorael, whose immediate reaction is no, but who can't find anything conclusive on the subject. By this he means Google and Wikipedia have let him down. If you can Google it for him better, go ahead!

Oops, I believe I posted that on the wrong page.

To get into the discussion on this page, I have to agree the Thing was great. I never have understood, was it a remake of the older black&white version, or not? (Having not seen the older one)

Did you know Burt (The Grin) Lancaster's son did the screenplay?

Originally Posted By: ΛΞΨ
That was an awesome movie.

Speaking of awesome: District 9.

That wasn't that awesome. Rarely have I seen characters of such little intelligence, I felt like yelling at Vikus.

Though I liked the concept, I think it could have been better made. The alien costumes (ahem, humanoids à la Star Trek), though were nice.

Minor prosthetics to make aliens is a sci-fi staple. It helps keep effects and costume budgets reasonable, it keeps the actors from screaming in frustration (or pain), and it helps humanize the aliens.

—Alorael, who just doesn't think Lovecraft-style aliens will catch on with the mass market.

Not very well, actually, but Lovecraftian horror probably has enough purchase in the sci-fi fan demographic that it would work. No, the larger problem is that squid-starfish-fungus aliens just lack some lovableness.

—Alorael, who just doesn't think that Rule 34 and niches can make up for the fact that forehead wrinkles are a lot easier to empathize around than trilateral symmetry.

Whoa. Looks like my teddy. (I 'modified' him when I was 7)

Maybe this is why your link didn't work, Nikki. (Just the title)

It's a pity really alien aliens are so rare. If aliens aren't people with donkey ears and flaky skin, they're really based on insects. Except for The Blob, of course.

(and a few others, like the forementioned two Thing films)

Though some aliens tend towards the absurd - giant fly swatters, anyone?

Originally Posted By: JadeWolf
Except for The Blob, of course.
The Blob was a great movie, especially the original from the 1950's. I remember seeing a documentary on sci-fi aliens, and one person said the Blob was the best sci-fi alien ever because you never truly know what it is.
Originally Posted By: JadeWolf
Though some aliens tend towards the absurd
If you want absurd aliens, watch Plan 9 from Outer Space. sick

Then you could at least put forth the effort to say that you're ignoring the preceding discussion before stating something that has already proven to be fodder for unprovable but vigorous assertions.

—Alorael, whose favorite aliens appear in non-sci-fi films. By accident. Nobody realizes that they're there.

Spiderweb has members from all over the world, many of whom don't understand sane sleeping schedules. Plus, there are all those secret lurkers. It's difficult for Spiderweb to be truly abandoned. (Well, except when it goes down, and it's hard to post during those times.) Alorael does something far more sinister and keeps all his double-posting and deleting in the Mod Board.

And he's not the only moderator to engage in such nefarious posting schemes. Dikiyoba shall not mention any names, only that you should ask yourself why Student of Trinity was trying to draw your attention towards Alorael just now.

Quote:
Then you could at least put forth the effort to say that you're ignoring the preceding discussion before stating something that has already proven to be fodder for unprovable but vigorous assertions.

What? I'm starting to think that you concocted this thread to pick on me. Just because the matter was resolved 10 posts ago doesnt mean that I cant voice my opinion. It can't possibly offend you to the point of dedicating a whole post to chatise my late statement. It's not that bad. Honestly.

Lets all take a big breath. No one is trying to offend anyone here, and there is no reason to get upset.

That said, the only alien movies I can remember seeing are ET and My favorite martian. I haven't watched them in ages, and the later one always scared me (when I was like, 6). That's about my alien movie experience.

The Ender's Game series, anyone?

I did, however, double post. I got one of those "Spiderweb is dysfunctional" errors and reposted, figuring the original had been lost. It hadn't been. I buried the evidence. I don't do it much! Check the logs. I'll check them too, and then we'll see who is a skullduggerous rascal!

—Alorael, who didn't concoct this thread. He also didn't mean to pick. He was mostly amused by the claim of disease, unaccompanied by any commentary on the long preceding discussion. It seems like a very good way to put the thread into a permanent disease discussion loops. Actually, a loop thread with literally copied posts would be a great way to boost post counts...

Quote:
Alorael, who didn't concoct this thread. He also didn't mean to pick. He was mostly amused by the claim of disease, unaccompanied by any commentary on the long preceding discussion. It seems like a very good way to put the thread into a permanent disease discussion loops. Actually, a loop thread with literally copied posts would be a great way to boost post counts...

If you really MUST know, my computer auto-scrolled down to the bottom of the page before i finished reading [automatically assuming that i wanted to quick-reply]. So I posted what I thought. Beleive me, I'm no trouble maker looking to make a loop thread to draw attention to myself.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Except for The Blob, of course.
The Blob the Blob was the best sci-fi alien ever because you never truly know what it is.

It's the Blob!

Originally Posted By: Master1
The Ender's Game series, anyone?

Me. When's the next one coming out? Though I had to read most in french, which made them not so good.

EDIT: Don't worry, Rekhyt. As I have just demonstated, I too have a knack for replying to posts pages old. -.-

It is really two series. Serieses?

One follows Ender, some thousand years in the future as he travels to a planet that is home to a new alien species. Really interesting things, and a bit of philosophy. The books that follow Bean are more exciting, I would say, and don't have as much philosophy, although there definitely is a good bit. I recommend them to all.

I read Ender's Game, and liked the story, but felt a vague sense of unease about the philosophical subtext. He didn't really push his views in the tale, but I got the feeling that the Card and I wouldn't find a lot of common ground.

So I looked him up and it turned out that was pretty spot on, so yeah.

Nalyd read about halfway through Ender's Game. Got really boring. Reread the part where they're [censored] him over with the battles like three times, trying to finish, and reading how he's being tested over and over while the more interesting characters sat on Earth and diddled themselves on the interwebs got too annoying.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
I read Ender's Game, and liked the story, but felt a vague sense of unease about the philosophical subtext. He didn't really push his views in the tale, but I got the feeling that the Card and I wouldn't find a lot of common ground.

So I looked him up and it turned out that was pretty spot on, so yeah.

this is a good article about that

this is a better one