Pet Peeves

Callie

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Annoying people who keep asking me for gum. That was my last piece of Double Trident. Here's the box goddamnit. Stop asking.

There are a lot of creative ways you could handle this, but a simple "no" works too.

As a tack on to my earlier statement, I also hate talented people in a competitive environment who either purposefully stack teams in their favor or will switch to the winning side mid-game. If it's not a challenge, you might as well just play by yourself. What's the point?

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Another pet peeve: People who actually believe end-of-the-world predictions, and use various forms of "evidence" (read "bad guesswork") to try and convince everyone else that they're right.

Show them this.
Intriguing, but I usually try to convince the "end of the world" people that the world already ended; it actually worked a few times, too.

Normally when I'm confronted with someone trying to convince me that the world is about to end, their "proof" (read "circular logic") is that it's written in the so-called "Bible code." However, if there were an actual Bible code, the correct method for cracking is long since lost. Sure, you could try, but you're more likely to come up with absolute nonsense than anything useful.

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
There is no Bible code.

That's just what the Illuminati want you to think!

—Alorael, who thinks the most marvelous thing about conspiracies is their plasticity. You can't argue against them. If you succeed, you've only deepened them.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Playing sports with non-competitive people. It's fine to lose or play bad if you're trying, but if you're just standing around it's no fun for everyone else.

playing games with OVER competitive people

but i do have a friend who actually changes sides when he's in the WINNING team just to make the game more fun and challenging

Originally Posted By: child of the moon
My hypothesis: Any date man picks is automatically wrong and any time spent trying to figure it out is a waste.

Lets pick EVERYDAY. That way we're safe for all eternity.

this is like that riddle about the prisoner who's told on Saturday night that he'll be executed at noon on some day within a week but he won't know the day of his execution until the morning of the day it happens, so that it will be a surprise to him

and then he reasons that if it happens next Saturday, he'll know by Friday afternoon that it has to be Saturday, because that's the last day they can do it

but that means they can't do it on Saturday, because that would mean he knew the date of his execution in advance

but if they can't do it on Saturday, the last possible day they can do it is Friday, and then the same logic applies to Friday: they can't do it, because he'd know by Thursday that they had to do it on Friday, since they couldn't do it on Saturday

and if you continue with that line of reasoning, then actually they can't execute him on any day of the week at all

he tells his captors all of this and they nod and smile and praise his logic

and then on Tuesday they execute him, which comes as quite a surprise

Good one, Thuryl, though the version I heard is that he's told on Sunday he'll be executed, reasons that he'll be executed on Saturday, and (also to his surprise) gets executed on Monday.

There is no Bible code.
Which is why any argument using the "Bible code" as a source of information is inherently flawed. You're far more likely to find, "A man named William Shakespeare will write a play entitled 'King Lear'" or, "Eating oatmeal for breakfast on Thursdays is unlucky" than accurate end-of-the-world predictions.

So I noticed recently that cereals such as Lucky Charms and Honey Nut Cheerios are marked as healthy. Okay, so maybe it lowers cholesterol, but it's also going to give you diabetes. In one 36 gram serving of Honey Nut Cheerios there are nine grams of sugar. What the heck is wrong with people?

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
So I noticed recently that cereals such as Lucky Charms and Honey Nut Cheerios are marked as healthy. Okay, so maybe it lowers cholesterol, but it's also going to give you diabetes. In one 36 gram serving of Honey Nut Cheerios there are nine grams of sugar. What the heck is wrong with people?

behold the wonders of the free market

"Although no country has ever had within its border an economy in which all markets were absolutely free, the term typically is not used in an absolute sense. Many states which are said to have a market economy have a high level of market freedom, even if it is less than some parts of the population would prefer. Thus, almost all economies in the world today are mixed economies with varying degrees of free market and planned economy traits. For example, in the United States there are more market economy traits than in the Western European countries (an exception being the UK, which is considered, even by Greenspan, to be a freer market than the US)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_economy#Systems_based_on_a_market_economy

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

Honey Nut Cheerios rule. What the heck is wrong with you?

Three judges vote on three questions: Did the accused commit the act? Was the act illegal? Is the accused guilty?

Judge 1 votes Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Judge 2 votes Yes, No, and No.

Judge 4 votes No, Yes, and No.

All three answers are logical. But the majority vote of the tribunal is, by a clear 2:1 majority in each case, Yes, Yes, and No: the accused committed an illegal act but is not guilty. The individuals are all rational, but the majority is not. It's easy to see why — 'the majority' is not the same set of individuals for each question.

It's worth noting that this voting paradox, known as the Discursive Dilemma, is not just the same as the observation that the majority vote need not represent the will of any actual voter. That's just the nature of compromise. This is worse: the majority vote does not represent the will of any possible (sane) voter, because it is logically absurd.

This is a pet peeve because it is a serious basic problem with democracy, since directly analogous problems can occur in any legislative body, with different coalitions supporting collective policies that are dumber than any individual party could be, even to the point of blatant inconsistency. And if you buy even a bit of the psychological theory that consciousness is a sort of democracy of divergent instincts, then it explains how people can be stuck in absurd dilemmas in their personal lives.

The 'dilemma' aspect of the Discursive Dilemma is, Should the accused be considered guilty, or not? The judges have collectively determined that he committed an illegal act, so by logic he ought to be guilty; but the same judges have voted him innocent, without any of them being irrational. Even once you understand how this is, it remains unclear what the right verdict should really be.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
are you seriously blaming government intervention for the fact that cereal companies engage in false advertising

No

< did not realize "free market" could mean that there is some level of government regulation. Darn political terms and their alternate meanings.

The term teabagger is now in the New Oxford American Dictionary, referring to those that take part in the so-called tea parties.

Of course, that is just a small example of what is wrong with American news media.

Who invented the insane need to catch phrase every single last event no matter the importance? If I was in charge I would change the laws so that that person would be executed. Immediately, so that there was no surprise at all.

You know, there is something you can do with zucchini: Slice 'em, salt'em, let 'em sit for a while (gets a lot of mostly tasteless water out); marinade the dehydrated bunch in olive oil, sliced small chili pepper, crushed garlic (plenty), lime juice, a hint of both vinegar (white balsamico or malt) and brown sugar, salt and pepper. Barbecue them on aluminium/tin-foil or fry them in a pan (you will have to let them dry on kitchen towel or sth. like that afterwards. The result is so unlike what you all described - it's delicious.

Vlish always reminds me somewhat of squid, to forestall your ranting responses, I know it doesn't taste exactly like it, but it reminds me of it none the less. Maybe because of the texture.

Any way, to get back on the the thread topic. One of my Pet Peeves, likely my biggest, is the way that most everyone now days(at least Americans) seem ready to jump to the conclusion that anyone who in some way impedes them in any way is a jerk or other epithet. Whether or not it may be justified. Did that make sense? I'll give an example. You're at a grocery, doing your weakly shopping, you come up ta a crossing of aisles when another person happens to come out right in front of you, forcing you to stop so that you don't run into them. Now this a small incident, but I've heard people mutter curses at others for small things like this, out of earshot of the other person or no. Never mind who's fault, if anyone's, it is. It seems to me that people are to quick to direct blame nowadays(another symptom, lawsuits).

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Xelgion
Buttered Vlish would make a nice meal.
I suggest you try the vlish and chips. tongue

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, so bad.
Don't tell me you thought of it too? I'd actually been holding that one in reserve since Delicious Vlish was a mod.