Pet Peeves

Callie

The rule while driving tends to be that one drives as the consensus dictates. This is sometimes nightmarish, but if everyone drove at or below the speed limit in all areas many roads would become nightmarishly slow and thus, in the interest of traffic flow, drivers do as they must.

—Alorael, who has also noticed that police cars always travel in their own little bubbles of traffic law-abiding congestion. It must make going home after patrol irritating.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Let's tack on people who pretend to be law-abiding citizens only when the police are around. If you're doing something you think is wrong, what kind of person does that make you? This is the worst kind of infraction in our society.

There's a difference between doing something you know is illegal and not wanting to be punished for it, and doing something you think is wrong.

I agree with Thuryl. I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong when I drive a bit above the speed limit. In fact, if an officer were to pull me over for driving five or even ten miles per hour above the speed limit, I might even feel wronged. I never do anything while driving that I would feel uncomfortable with other people doing. It's proven to be a safe rule to follow.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I find it particularly annoying when the person tailgating me is an elderly person. Come on! I'm sixteen and I'm going the speed limit, why can't you?
Wait until you're tailgated by a fully loaded 18-wheeler on a slick road; that incident still makes me shudder.

Quote:
Naughty Salmon: Cats make great chew toys for real pets.
Alorael: Real pets make great scratching posts for cats.
I don't know about anyone else here, but I find that rocks make excellent pets.

I have a pet rock called the Byoonifoow Wock. I got it for Christmas when I was four years old. I asked for a beautiful rock, but couldn't pronounce it or spell it. My mother found a piece of red-brown granite, and wrote my name on the smooth, shiny side, and I thought it was a bag of bird seeds when I got it because of the speckled pattern.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I went into a store today and there was already Christmas music on. What the hell is wrong with people?
In three words: Consumerism run amuck.

If you think the Christmas music was bad, you should've been at one of the local stores towards the end of August a few years back. The back-to-school items were in one aisle; the next aisle had costumes and decorations for Halloween; and the aisle next to that had decorations for Thanksgiving. Next to all of that, and occupying about the same total amount of space, was one of the tackiest Christmas tree displays I've ever seen.

And what's the earliest date Dikiyoba is allowed to go postal over it?
As far as I'm concerned, November 2, which was when I first heard it this year.

Christmas music should be permissible a week before Christmas. I won't like it then, but I can accept it. Any earlier is an auditory crime.

—Alorael, who at least can rest secure knowing his favorite radio station won't be cranking out the Christmas tunes in November this year. The downside, of course, is that the station is off the air. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: Inestimable Sirs
Christmas music should be permissible a week before Christmas. I won't like it then, but I can accept it. Any earlier is an auditory crime.
It used to start up the day after Thanksgiving, which is a lot better than starting November 1st.

Quote:
—Alorael, who at least can rest secure knowing his favorite radio station won't be cranking out the Christmas tunes in November this year. The downside, of course, is that the station is off the air. Oh well.
At least it's better than the radio at the pizza place where I work; somebody fixed (or, more accurately, broke) it so that the only thing that comes in is a station that plays rap music. And judging from what they play, "music" is hardly the term for it; a better description would be a conglomerate of moaning, adult-themed lyrics, and rude sound effects.

The cat thing. My housemate's cat also used to keep me awake by scratching at my door, so I decided to respond to her the way an angry cat would. Every time she did it, I stamped towards the door and hissed as loud as I could. She'd stop, and think for a bit, then carry on. More hissing. Eventually I'd snatch open the door and hiss right at her and she'd run off. She did learn after a few days.

I also discovered that she hates being blown in the face, so that was another response to her scratching. Failing that, try a water pistol.

I went into a store today and there was already Christmas music on. What the hell is wrong with people?

I went into home depot or something back in October, over a month ago. The first few isles were already filled with Christmas things. My dad and I almost walked right out.

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
a few things that annoy me:
people who interrupt you and say, "i don't mean to interrupt you"
Or more accurately, "I don't mean to interrupt you, but," and go on for five minutes.

The conjunction "but" can be really annoying when used between sentences; basically it means, "I told you one thing, and now I want you to forget what I just said while I tell you what I'm really saying." Some examples:
  • "Great job, but..."
  • "You're a nice person, but..."
  • "Nice car (or whatever), but..."
  • "You're the most qualified candidate, but..."
  • "I'd save you from this burning building, but..."
Very little, if anything, has ever followed "but."

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
I have a friend who got tired of his neighbor always outdoing him on the Christmas lights each year. Little pet peeve of his I think. This year he spent all weekend putting up his own. I think he may have actually 'won' this time.

The one on the right.

Did you submit it to Failblog or something?

Okay, I've finally got one for this thread. I believe there is a special circle of hell reserved for people who use leaf-blowers to obsessively blow every single leaf off of their property and into the street. Not only are they lazy and wasting resources (it's called a rake, people), but they're wasting biomass.

And our county doesn't have city-organized leaf pickup, which would've made this less stupid.

When I was living in Iowa, the city would come by with dump trucks and bobcats, scooping all the leaves in the streets and recycle them. Yes, we lost biomass, and it's not the greatest thing to do, but it was very convenient. Not to mention, it was fun to have huge piles of leaves in the streets for a few days.

Here, though, I just run over them with my mulching lawn mower.

November 27th is when we'd always used to set up our fake Christmas tree. It was the last long weekend prior to Christmas, and it is close enough to Dec. 25th to feel right. Besides, the tree was huge and annoying to put together so we wanted to make sure it'd be there for a few weeks.

With that said, I already have all my presents picked out and some of them all wrapped up.

Another pet peeve: People who actually believe end-of-the-world predictions, and use various forms of "evidence" (read "bad guesswork") to try and convince everyone else that they're right.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I believe there is a special circle of hell reserved for people who use leaf-blowers to obsessively blow every single leaf off of their property and into the street. Not only are they lazy and wasting resources (it's called a rake, people), but they're wasting biomass.
I have a leafblower, but it's sitting on a shelf in the garage, collecting dust; the rake collects the leaves better, and is a lot less noisy. And since we put all the leaves on a compost pile in the back yard, and nearly all those leaves are from neighboring trees, we actually have a net gain in biomass.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Playing sports with non-competitive people. It's fine to lose or play bad if you're trying, but if you're just standing around it's no fun for everyone else.

This is why I always hated P.E. I totally suck at soccer, but at least I was attempting to defend the goal.