Pet Peeves

Callie

That's right, practically everyone has them. It might be something relatively minor such as knuckle cracking, or it could be a constant annoyance from something like a dog.

For me, I usually hate it when people use the phrase "same difference," since more often then not, they just said something unintelligent, like saying Iraq and Afghanistan or Japanese and Chinese are the "same difference" (Yes, I've actually had people tell me that before).

I also hate it when I see people buy water from a vending machine when there's a perfectly good drinking fountain just inches away from it. Then they tell me they're going to reuse the bottle by refilling it at the fountain, but then I see them at the vending machine the next day. Way to make use of our local landfill...

Oh, and ending a sentence with three exclamation marks and four question marks is pretty annoying.

What about you?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next door neighbors have three small dogs. Two of them are fairly quiet, but I'd like to attach a silencer to the third. He will literally (and shrilly) bark at anything. I walk out my side door, and he's standing right at the fence, barking at me. Someone's walking a dog on the opposite side of the street, and he barks at them until they've been gone for up to five minutes. A leaf falls to the ground, and he comes charging up, barking like mad. I've even caught this dumb animal barking at his own shadow.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I also hate it when I see people buy water from a vending machine when there's a perfectly good drinking fountain just inches away from it. Then they tell me they're going to reuse the bottle by refilling it at the fountain, but then I see them at the vending machine the next day. Way to make use of our local landfill...
Buying bottled water for emergencies is okay, but every day as a convenience? I don't think so. I'll admit I've bought bottled water before, but I never do so unless I have no other options, and always make sure it's the cheapest I can find. I generally reuse the bottle for up to a week, and then recycle the bottle.

Bottled water bothers me, but on an intellectual level, not a visceral one. For true reaction from the guts, nails on a chalkboard will do perfectly.

—Alorael, who also has a strong, irrational need to have the dishes done in a timely fashion. He can't leave them in the sink to sleep. This can become a problem if he is cohabiting with numerous others who share no such compulsion.

I'm greatly annoyed when people insist on putting the integration measure right after the integral sign, rather than after the rest of the integrand. I can see that this method has merits, but it is less pleasing to my eye, and when the people who use it then follow it up with poor use of parentheses it can be impossible to tell how much of the rest of the expression is the integrand and what belongs to other terms outside the integral.

I am also (rather more pointlessly pedantically) annoyed when people say 'parenthese' when they mean 'parenthesis'.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
My next door neighbors have three small dogs. Two of them are fairly quiet, but I'd like to attach a silencer to the third.

Typically it makes less noise if you attach the silencer to the gun, but I suppose it might work...

Now. Where would you be putting the cartridge? <_<

My housemate's cats are in the habit of occasionally puking on my bedspread. Needless to say, I kick them out of my room at night now. Unfortunately, one of them has figured how how to scratch my bedroom door in such a way that it rattles. He does it all night long unless I let him in and I can't block it out. Which means that now I can't sleep. Whee!

Dikiyoba also hates it when Dikiyoba is cycling on a narrow, bumpy road without bike lanes and a large vehicle decides to pass Dikiyoba without pulling over much. That's just not safe.

Originally Posted By: Wundercraft
—Alorael, who also has a strong, irrational need to have the dishes done in a timely fashion. He can't leave them in the sink to sleep. This can become a problem if he is cohabiting with numerous others who share no such compulsion.
My roommate knows how you feel. I'm a messy person, but I always wake up the next morning to a clean kitchen, which is really nice. It's not that I don't offer to do them, it's just I can wait until the sink is a little more full, while she can't. tongue

My biggest pet peeve is talking to people in the bathroom. I don't know if other people have this problem, but people always seem to be trying to talk to me while either they or I are in the bathroom. I don't like talking through a door. I just don't.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
My housemate's cats are in the habit of occasionally puking on my bedspread. Needless to say, I kick them out of my room at night now. Unfortunately, one of them has figured how how to scratch my bedroom door in such a way that it rattles. He does it all night long unless I let him in and I can't block it out. Which means that now I can't sleep. Whee!

My sister's cat decided it didn't like the new litterbox we got it. When I went to go take a shower the next morning I was greeted by a moist pile of...stuff I didn't like to clean up. (This happened at least five times, because someone kept leaving the door open)

Yeah, it also doesn't let me pet it, even though it always wants to cuddle up with me when I'm trying to eat.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
I'm greatly annoyed when people insist on putting the integration measure right after the integral sign, rather than after the rest of the integrand. I can see that this method has merits, but it is less pleasing to my eye, and when the people who use it then follow it up with poor use of parentheses it can be impossible to tell how much of the rest of the expression is the integrand and what belongs to other terms outside the integral.

But until you see the measure, you don't have any idea what the integral actually is, because you don't know the integration variable! With a long and complicated integrand, it can be a noticeable effort to figure out what is going on when your eye has to skip back and forth to piece everything together — limits, measure, numerator, denominator, exponents ...

Plus with a multidimensional integral it can be quite tricky to show which limits go with which integration variable, unless you can write each integral sign with its limits right next to its measure.

The problem of knowing where the integral stops is easily solved with parentheses, or simply with spaces.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

My sister's cat decided it didn't like the new litterbox we got it. When I went to go take a shower the next morning I was greeted by a moist pile of...stuff I didn't like to clean up. (This happened at least five times, because someone kept leaving the door open)

Yeah, it also doesn't let me pet it, even though it always wants to cuddle up with me when I'm trying to eat.

Oh cats! I love cats and there are four in our household. They are nice but each has its own quirk. One of them loves stealing shoes and biting and chewing them until they are a mess. Another one likes to comunicate to birds via a strange adapted meow. Another will sit perfectly in front of a T.V., book, or whatever it is you are trying to look at. The final cat loves to sleep on faces while the said person is asleep, which causes problems.

Naturally I love cats but wonder why they can't be simpler.

I also hate the "Same difference" comment. For some reason it bothers me more when is shortened to "Same diff".

Worst Peeve is when people have a habbit of putting "Ums" and "Ahhs" in their conversations.

I take public transport to and from work every day, so as you can imagine, some of my pet peeves are in regards to stupid people that I run into on a daily basis....

There's the people who get on the bus and then just stand there at the very front and block other people from getting on or off. Or conversely, there's the people who stand right at the back doors and block people from getting off. Or there are the people who take over two seats with bags/purses, etc., even though they can see the bus is packed. And then there is the people who have an older person get on the bus and stand right there in front of them but don't offer them the seat.

Anyways, excuse the minor rant. I can't think of any more pet peeves I have, though I'm sure I have some that are non-public transport related.

Self righteous Mormons who think that they are better then everyone else because they are Mormon. That is in conflict with our believes and being Mormon myself I can say that we are not in anyway better. Most people I look up to as role models are not Mormon because they know that everyone is equal and treat others as such. Elitism plagues everything, even religion. I guess that is was bugs me; elitism.

I have two big pet peeves. First, I hate to yell so when I want to talk to somebody, I walk around the house till I find them sometimes calling their name in a normal voice. So when someone wants me and they start hollering my name at the top of their lungs, I can't stand it. Especially when they expect me to come to them or when they try to have the conversation across the distance. For crying out loud(npi), you wanna talk to me, get off your butt and come here. Most times I just keep repeating an answer in a normal voice until they are within hearing distance, which I think is one of my husband's pet peeves... ("Didn't you hear me calling for you?" nod "Why didn't you answer me?" "I did, you just couldn't hear me.")

Second, which is probably no surprise, I hate it when people make a mess with no intention of cleaning it up and fully expecting that I will and should do it for them. Don't get me wrong, Hubby is a wonderful cook and I fully enjoy having supper made for me every night, but when it's my job to clean up he has not a care in the world how far the spaghetti sauce splatters. ("You couldn't use a lid?" "Couldn't reach it." ...)

Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
I have two big pet peeves. First, I hate to yell so when I want to talk to somebody, I walk around the house till I find them sometimes calling their name in a normal voice. So when someone wants me and they start hollering my name at the top of their lungs, I can't stand it. Especially when they expect me to come to them or when they try to have the conversation across the distance. For crying out loud(npi), you wanna talk to me, get off your butt and come here. Most times I just keep repeating an answer in a normal voice until they are within hearing distance, which I think is one of my husband's pet peeves... ("Didn't you hear me calling for you?" nod "Why didn't you answer me?" "I did, you just couldn't hear me.")

Second, which is probably no surprise, I hate it when people make a mess with no intention of cleaning it up and fully expecting that I will and should do it for them. Don't get me wrong, Hubby is a wonderful cook and I fully enjoy having supper made for me every night, but when it's my job to clean up he has not a care in the world how far the spaghetti sauce splatters. ("You couldn't use a lid?" "Couldn't reach it." ...)

Ha, this sounds like my parents. Your kids will lose the habit if you keep teaching them, but I don't think your husband will ever learn.

Originally Posted By: Naughty Salmon
Originally Posted By: The Ghost of Jewels
"Couldn't reach it."

Valid. Why weren't you there to assist him in his kitchen scavenger hunt?

Well, I would have drug a chair from the dining room to reach it for him if he had asked me to, but more often than not he doesn't say anything. But your question reminds me of another pet peeve. ("Honey, where's the [random household item]?" "It's in the [wherever I always put it away at]." Less than a minute later in a whiny voice. "It's not there." Also less than a minute later while handing it to him. "... Yes it was.") Either actually try to find it, or ASK me to find it for you, but don't pretend you put in any effort when you didn't.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith

EDIT: The fact that nearly everyone on the internet is a cat person.

I'm a fish person. There's no training and not much to clean up, and they're pretty and don't cost a lot to feed (It's just that it costs quite a bit of money to buy a decent sized tank).

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Self righteous Mormons who think that they are better then everyone else because they are Mormon. That is in conflict with our believes and being Mormon myself I can say that we are not in anyway better. Most people I look up to as role models are not Mormon because they know that everyone is equal and treat others as such. Elitism plagues everything, even religion. I guess that is was bugs me; elitism.

I don't notice this as much as Mormons calling other Mormons "cultist Mormons." Is that supposed to be an insult or something?

Originally Posted By: w of the dueck clan
People using Internet Explorer. Better yet, the people who moan and whine because 'this site is broken'.

Also on the list are people who refer to someone's portable music player as 'yer mp3', as well as the people who can't distinguish between 'your' and "you're".

I don't like it when people with Windows computers don't bother to check for spyware (and they seem to almost always use Internet Explorer). So one day, they decide that it's broken, throw it away, and buy another one...*shudders*

It's surprising how many people in our modern world are technologically challenged.

Whenever a kid says he prefers "flavored" water over regular water, and if something is too cute, I feel the intense urge to inflict harm upon it, especially if a darling baby or kid. No idea why, but this always happens in movies. (See the recent The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Lucy opening the wardrobe, the expression makes me want to murder her.)

Dikiyoba also hates it when Dikiyoba is cycling on a narrow, bumpy road without bike lanes and a large vehicle decides to pass Dikiyoba without pulling over much. That's just not safe.

Likewise. On one-way roads too narrow for cars to pass each other, I sometimes have to actually block them off from doing that by not leaving space. I feel that when the risks of their maneuver are a scratched bumper for them and a lengthy hospital stay for me, I get to veto.

Originally Posted By: Naughty Salmon
Originally Posted By: will dueck
Originally Posted By: Master1
People who, especially when criticizing someone else's grammar, fails to employ proper grammar.

Edited by w of the dueck clan (Oct 6, 2009 4:31 PM)
Edit Reason: tongue

Please don't make fun of other members of this forum.

Argh, don't I look stupid!

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Aggressive drivers (it's not a race you idiots)
I could go for hours on this.

Around where I live, most of the traffic lights are timed so that if you obey the speed limit, you almost never have to stop. Despite this, people insist that they'll get to wherever they're going a lot faster by speeding; however, they normally end up having to stop at red lights about ten seconds before I do. I was tailgated once for about seven or eight miles on a two-lane road because the person behind me considered the speed limit to be beneath him. As he (unsuccessfully) tried to get me to speed up, he added several colorful words and phrases to the English language, and used a few hand signals you won't find in a driver's manual; and all the while he was blissfully unaware that he didn't have to apply his brakes once as we went through nearly a dozen green lights--or rather, he wouldn't have applied his brakes had he not been riding the back bumper of my car as though he were on a trailer hitch.

Quote:
EDIT: The fact that nearly everyone on the internet is a cat person.
I don't consider myself to be a cat person, nor do I really associate myself with any kind of animal. I'm actually allergic to cats, which I find a bit odd because I prefer them to dogs.

People who Interview sports players. I find it annoying that sports interveiws say things like "You played very well in the second half, don't you think?" and than they expect that person to give a full recount on all the things that went good or bad. Its not an open ended question so stop getting made when they answer "Yes" or "No".

Not all of them are that bad but It irks be at the stupidity of those "Journelests"

. . . .

On the same note, I really don't understand why a rugby player would answer the question "How could you improve on the current match?" with the answer "We need to increase our Physacality by getting more Physical". Why is a proper question with a proper answer so hard to find in the sports world? Not all of them are bad but the vast majority are it would seem.

My dad is a bit of an aggressive driver when he gets irate, and it's quite scary. I just got my learners permit a few weeks ago and can't go out on open roads, but I to am peeved by aggressive drivers.

Also, I love cats. Half of my family (both parents at least) are somewhat allergic to cats, but we still have 3. That's not to say I don't like dogs; I love them. But I love cats more.

[EDIT] The reason all us internet peoples are cat peoples is simple. Since the dawn of time all the crazies and anti-social people have been cat people. The internet just gives us a home smile

Originally Posted By: Lord Grey
"We need to get more physical" makes sense.

It does yes. In a sport were you need to tackle people and wrestle for the ball and run across a feild while doing alot of other things along the way, saying getting more Physical is odd.

1) You should already be doing Physical work to actually play the sport.

2) How can you get more Physical without styarting fights?

And I don't really have a problem when they say that, Its when they say "We need to get more Physical by Increasing our Physicality" is when it bothers me. Yes I have heard people saying that.

Here's another one for you drivers out there: why am I the only one who slows down when the speed limit drops in work zones? Is there some sort of unwritten rule about only obeying traffic laws when they're convenient? I can't be the only one seeing those signs unless I'm completely crazy.