Was Melee beefed in G5?[G5]

Acky

I've been having a hard time putting my finger on this. In G3-4, my Guardian/Warrior managed to get his melee skill up to around 12, and that let me get about an 80-100 or so per attack. Now in G5, I can clear at least 100 with only 10. Was this ever looked into? I didn't notice any other offensive attack empowered.

No. Melee skill is only one of several factors in play. My guess is you were using different weapons, or had different Strength stats, or faced enemies with different armor values. Do a test with two PCs with identical Str and Melee stats and the same weapon, and fight enemies with no (or identical) armor. Damage should be the same.

I disagree with all of these statements. Vlish were HEAVILY nerfed in G4, but Wingbolts are a little overpowered in that game. In the Mac version though, Drayks were nearly as good a value. Wingbolts were not as overpowered as Vlish were in G3, but in neither game are Magic Creations as a whole overpowered or nerfed. Magic Creations were probably the best option in G2, but they only beat Fire Creations by a little bit. In G1 the Artila and Vlish were superb values, but Drayks and Cryodrayks had advantages as well and there was no comparable Magic Creation.

Overall, Magic Shaping was strongest in G3, followed by G4, G2, G1, and G5, in that order. However, in NO game have they been the least advantageous of the three shaping trees -- that honor has belonged to Battle Shaping in the first four games and to Fire Shaping in the last.

I have to echo Slarty in that Magic Creations are great in G5. Matching them up on their tiers, Artila's are much more powerful then Fyora's, even if they cost more essence. Vlish have always been better then Roamers due to their cursing power, and Charged Vlish, even if they are overpriced, are completely superior to Pyroroamers. Drayks and Cryodrayks elemental blast are way better then Ur/Glaahks stunning attack, true, but Gazers (who resist everything except Physical) wipe the floor with Drakons (who have mediocre resistance to everything except fire). Wingbolts are still more powerful then Kyshakks, even taking into account the essence cost (which in the long run won't mean much at all). The only other creation that gets a leg to stand on aside from Drayks are Cryoa's, but, imo, its definitely a better investment to trade it in for a Vlish. Fire Shaping just doesn't seem to have any big edge going for them. They're not necessarily bad; just a worse investment.

Look, it is quite simple to classify these things.

G1- Fire by a long shot, as the only tier 3 creations with range were Drayks. Magic comes seconds, and battle pretty much sucked.

G2- Magic. Eyebeasts stun, do massive damage, and attack everthing is sight. This is by far the nastiest creation ever invented.

G3- See above, but vlish of epicness, as well.

G4- Wingbolts. We're done here. (eyebeast nerfin, not so much...)

G5- Battle by a medium-small margin, with magic still packing some endgame punches with the Gazer and Eyebeast.

Battle creations were on par with Magic/Fire creations in G1-2. Its only in G3 that they began falling behind.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Why would you trade a cryoa in? Dikiyoba has found that vlish get too fragile to keep before cryoas do.

- More powerful attack (even taking into account the fact that nothing resists cold damage well)

- Cursing effect

- Higher starting level

- More hitpoints

^ In a nutshell

The problem is that non-battle creations can fight in melee almost as well as most battle creations can. A drayk and an alpha are pretty closely matched in melee, and the drayk has an obvious advantage at range (although the alpha is cheaper, of course). Some creations, including Gazers and Eyebeasts, can also cause powerful status effects with their melee attacks.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Battle creations were on par with Magic/Fire creations in G1-2. Its only in G3 that they began falling behind.

It's true that Battle creations lost most of their zing after G2, when melee damage as a whole was scaled back from d8 to d4. However, they weren't actually on par with the other creations even in G1 and G2. For one thing, magic and fire attacks did more damage in G1 and G2 as well. IIRC, ice breath did 1-8 in G1 just like melee -- but while G1 had creation armor it didn't have much in the way of creation resistances. Plus, ranged attacks were even more advantageous under the old AP system. Oh, and ice breath had a 70% chance (IIRC) to stun! Cryoas and cryodrayks truly put battle creations to shame. Artila did as well, and Vlish even then made incredible support minions. (All damage was scaled back after G1 and again after G2 -- practically the only attack that didn't have its die shrunk was the Vlish's, which is the main reason they were so overpowered in G3.)

Originally Posted By: If You Seek Amygdalae
Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan

It's true that Battle creations lost most of their zing after G2, when melee damage as a whole was scaled back from d8 to d4. However, they weren't actually on par with the other creations even in G1 and G2. For one thing, magic and fire attacks did more damage in G1 and G2 as well. IIRC, ice breath did 1-8 in G1 just like melee -- but while G1 had creation armor it didn't have much in the way of creation resistances. Plus, ranged attacks were even more advantageous under the old AP system. Oh, and ice breath had a 70% chance (IIRC) to stun! Cryoas and cryodrayks truly put battle creations to shame. Artila did as well, and Vlish even then made incredible support minions. (All damage was scaled back after G1 and again after G2 -- practically the only attack that didn't have its die shrunk was the Vlish's, which is the main reason they were so overpowered in G3.)

I conceed. I have to admit that I'm to corrupted by nostalgia too argue this much further.

Well, in G5 the main point of having battle creations is that War Tralls are arguably the best creations in the game, thanks to high resistances and a ranged attack that doesn't suck. Battle creations also tend to have higher health than other creations of their tier, although that doesn't make so much difference in the long run.