Royal Spire, No Hawthorne: WTF!?

So I was going to kill Hawthorne, and I saved as soon as I got close to him, and finished the battle, with the BAD ending (4 of 5 brooches), so I went into the editor and got my Party of One out of the spire and saved, so that I could steal Pyrog's brooch, then I went back to the RS to finish the job, and when I got to the throne room, there was no Hawthorne or portal out of that cursed place.

Just wondering if I (as Rose) have to ReStart entirely, or if there is a DeBug or Dialog to ReSet Hawthorne.

Also, has anyone else had this happen before?

EDIT: Does anyone understand the SDFs?

From the sound of it, I assume you've already tried all the various "make towns forgive you" and other reset-stuff options in the editor?

Originally Posted By: Dragonforce = Motrax on Drums!

EDIT: Does anyone understand the SDFs?

We understand how they work in general, but we can't do anything with them without knowing what specific SDF values Jeff used when making the game. And even Jeff doesn't know that any more. Sorry.

I'd still recommend emailing Spiderweb Software to see if Jeff has any ideas on how to fix this, but you may be out of luck here. Maybe someone on these boards has a saved game from near the end of the game that they can send you, so you can see the ending without having to start over?

Good point on the SDFs,Thur, and yes, I have used the editor, to no avail, so I might use my new savegame from school computer class to get the ending. (Damn Teachers, spying on me..)

P.S. Where is the best source for general information on SDFs?

Also, why are you up so early? (Server time, not local, i'm too lazy to set my time to AUS)

Finally, the Editor will ReSet Erika and the Dragons, Grah-Hoth etc., so maybe Hawthorne is somehow special, like... um... some of the A2 characters. (Pyrn...)

Anyways, thanks man, I didn't expect advice to come so fast.(time at home is about 7:10pm, Server is, like 3AM (Shady Fans Rejoice!))

Clearly, the game doesn't expect you to leave the Royal Spire without killing Hawthorne. I doubt there's anything you can do to fix this. Hopefully you have a backup save from beforehand. If you're already in the Spire, can you just use the editor to give yourself the fifth brooch?

Originally Posted By: Dragonforce = Motrax on Drums!

P.S. Where is the best source for general information on SDFs?

That'd be the Blades of Avernum scenario editor manual, since BoA uses the same SDF system.

Quote:
Also, why are you up so early? (Server time, not local, i'm too lazy to set my time to AUS)

You're not the only Australian in the world.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
You're not the only Australian in the world.

Yeah, I just assume all the really well known members are more likely to be from the US or the UK, because no-one I know plays Spidweb games, and none of the real nerds have ever heard of Spidweb.

EDIT: Sorry about dub-post, I clicked the wrong button.(N00B)

Not everyone in a country is likely to be known by you.

—Alorael, who has considered what the likely distribution of Spidwebbers in the U.S.A. would be if all members were Americans. The result is still no contact among members who didn't join already knowing another member.

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
i didn't even know you could get to hawthorne without all 5 brooches. you learn something new everyday, i guess.

I have read somewhere that 3 or 4 are enuf to get to Hawthorne's castle but to be sure to get there its better to have all 5.

Bit off-topic: Whatever happened to Aydin?

I don't know where the A1 SDFs are found.

I do know that the original version of Nethergate used the Blades of Exile system of special nodes. Basically it was exactly the same system apart from adjustments for Druid magic working differently. Each town and outdoor listing had its own collection of special nodes.

In A1 they may be compiled right into the program itself.

Edit:

They might be written into the towndat file in a way that I won't recognize because it is unique to A1.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
4 are enough to get there. It's getting back that's the problem.

That is why I exited using the editor.

Originally Posted By: Wundercraft
Alorael, who has considered what the likely distribution of Spidwebbers in the U.S.A. would be if all members were Americans. The result is still no contact among members who didn't join already knowing another member.
True, I once showed a friend Exile, and he still remembers, but before he met me, he couldn't name any indie game developers, and he hasn't told anyone the wondrs of Spidweb, because he thinks that compared to WoW, CoD etc., it sucks at graphics and interactivity.

EDIT: No-one cares about my favourite games because of WoW, Killzone and Starcraft.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
They might be written into the towndat file in a way that I won't recognize because it is unique to A1.

You mean you can recognize some of the SDFs in the other games?

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Bit off-topic: Whatever happened to Aydin?
Like everyone that helps in games, once he became unnecessary, he just disappeared. Also, Aydin in A1 would have been deep in Empire Lands in A2, which means either he died, or he was still alive, but due to said lack of future need, he just disappeared.(Damn RPG anomalies...)