The more esoteric stats in Geneforge 5[G5]

Dantius

I have virtually no idea what all these bonuses do. Thy're common on quite a few items and weapons, and an explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Vampiric touch:

Does the +8 Vampiric touch mean that, on every successful hit mean that I recover 8 HP regardless? Or does it mean that I regain 8% of my damage as health? And do a +10 and +5 item give me +15 (if added) , or +14(if multiplied)?

Energy preservation:

I'm really befuddled on this one. Does this mean that, if I cast Purifying Rain (200 Energy, 20 Essence) with +20 EP, that it only costs me 160 Energy and 16 Essence? The bonus given are so tiny, it would seem that this would have a dramatic effect at higher levels.

Melee Damage Protection:

This only appears on th Tek's Spectral Dirk and Ornkskin Gloves. This is really the reason why I'm posting this:

Does this stat mean that, if an enemy attacks me in melee, he has 10 damage dies removed, or 10% of his damage negated, or 10 points of damage subtracted? If it is the first option, then this is far and away the best weapon for a nonmelee build, so it would come in handy to find out.

Vampiric touch is a chance to regain some health for any attack, even non-damaging spells like wrack can drain health and transfer it to you.

Energy preservation is a chance to use less spell energy, but it doesn't always happen and you need the normal amount available to cast a spell.

1] I'm not sure how Vampiric Touch works exactly, but it's very weak, so it's not worth worrying about anyway. It doesn't seem to be related to the amount of damage you do, since it can take effect even on non-damaging attacks like Essence Shackles. I suspect +8 Vampiric Touch is something like a 33% chance of 1-8 healing every time you attack.

2] It seems to be a percentage effect, yes, and it's also partially random. [so if you cast a spell that costs 15 energy, it might only cost you 11, or 12, or 13.]

3] I'm almost certain it's not the first one. It might be the second.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Vampiric touch is a chance to regain some health for any attack, even non-damaging spells like wrack can drain health and transfer it to you.

Energy preservation is a chance to use less spell energy, but it doesn't always happen and you need the normal amount available to cast a spell.

I know what they generally do, I want exact specifics.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
1] I'm not sure how Vampiric Touch works exactly, but it's very weak, so it's not worth worrying about anyway. It doesn't seem to be related to the amount of damage you do, since it can take effect even on non-damaging attacks like Essence Shackles. I suspect +8 Vampiric Touch is something like a 33% chance of 1-8 healing every time you attack.

2] It seems to be a percentage effect, yes, and it's also partially random. [so if you cast a spell that costs 15 energy, it might only cost you 11, or 12, or 13.]

3] I'm almost certain it's not the first one. It might be the second.

I don't deliberately use Vampiric touch, but some of the best items (Talisman of Might) have it as well, so I might as well know what it does.

It's pretty much useless. I only keep 1 item with it til the endgame, the Ring of Eye's Purity, so I don't really care.

Hmm. I don't have a save file anywhere where I actually have TSD. I've either sold it, or have not yet reached it. I better start playing again so I can grab it and do some tests.

Melee Damage Protection appears with a percentage attached in at least one Geneforge engine game (maybe A4 or A5?) so I think it's safe to assume it does something with 10% and not -10. Given the track record of other rarely occuring abilities in Geneforge (see: Regeneration in G3, Strikes Swiftly in G3, Vampiric Touch, Radiance) it's entirely possible it actually does nothing or almost nothing.