Anyone know how to alter the A1 char portraits?

I'm in windows, to note wink I can see all the other pieces of art just fine- but I cant see the actual portraits at all. And given that, its awfully hard to change 'em, and annoying to be able to modify the in game graphics, as well as the 'selection portrait' (for lack of a better term) picture.

If any one could tell me how to do this, I'd be much obliged! smile

I just modded some images for A3, and A2. I imagine doing it for A1 would follow the same steps unless the filenaming convention changed drastically between A1 and A2.

-

By portraits, you mean those small facial images? They're all stuffed into one multi-row 5-column wide image. In A2 it was "G904.BMP", in A3 it's "904.BMP". Humans take up the first 16 cells, followed by the 4 neph faces then the 4 sliths.

The last row simply has a blank cell, followed by the generic human face, another blank cell, then the generic neph and slith faces. These are used in the racial indicator image.

-

The full-body inventory images are 1:1 for each character, i.e. 16 humans, 4 nephs, 4 sliths = 24 images.

There are the same number of sprite tileset images, each of them being a 9-row by 8-column array of sprites. The reason for 8 columns is that the first four columns are for no armor worn, while the last four are for sprites with armor on. As you can guess, there are four simply because the character may be oriented in four directions.

The nine rows correspond to:

1- peaced

2- 1h sword raised

3- 1h sword hit

4- 2h sword raised

5- 2h sword hit

6- sword + shield raised

7- sword + shield hit

8- sitting

9- dying

There's a tiny row after the 9th, explained below.

-

Naturally, it's easiest to just replace the portrait and the fullbody inventory images. Mucking with the sprites is just tedious pixelwork. It's not hard to put in your own images, simply replace the ones Jeff used. You only need to know what files the images are in.

Using A3 as the example,

[1] Portraits : (composite) 904.BMP

[2] Inventory art: 1800.BMP - 1823.BMP

[3] Sprite art : 1650.BMP - 1673.BMP

[4] Horseback : (composite) 1680.BMP

[5] Horseback : (composite)(world map ver) 1681.BMP

You may have noticed there's no composite for world map party image. Actually, those are likely built up from the tiny sprites at the bottom of each character sprite file, open "1650.BMP" and look at the last, tiny row. I guess when it came to the horseback composite he decided it was a pain to put them into each sprite file so he just tossed everything into a composite image.

Its the full body image- I've modded the other games graphics for years (and have uploaded some of those custom chars before)but have never been actually able to FIND the 'full body" inventory pictures- all the others, be they the small face portraits, or sprites is well known to me. But in A1, unlike the others, its those inventory pictures that I cant seem to find/access.

So its that I need help with- everything else is well within my capabilities, but thank you for trying to help smile

• 2 weeks later...