Teleportation research

Ya know, I never really understood the obsession with teleportation in the series. I mean, fine, you can use it to go places... big whoop, walk long enough in the appropriate direction and you'll get there too. It's just a shortcut, even if a mightily convenient one.

On the other hand, it's strange nobody seems to be interested in taking Soul Capture and Simulacrum apart. Together with Return Life, we're looking at possible immortality right there. Hell, even being stuck inside a crystal is better than nothing, and the vahnatai have that already.

Sure there's the undead, but I'd rather not lose my humanity kthx, plus all of the more intelligent undead I've seen appear to be universally unredeemable asshats. What is it about being dead and evil?

Of the more powerful mages we have, X wastes his life researching a spell to drop anvils on people. Linda keeps mucking around with demonology despite a 100% screwup rate. Brilliant. They make a great case for joining the Anama.

Play the BoE scenario Quintessence. It makes it clear that life in a soul crystal is not all you might hope for.

—Alorael, who also supposes it's not all bad. But it's no walk in the park, and it has the same problem as several kinds of back-up: there's something very uncomfortable about knowing you can guarantee the survival of a copy of yourself without having the currently conscious "you" survive.

Originally Posted By: Orifushi Mafuyu
Of the more powerful mages we have, X wastes his life researching a spell to drop anvils on people. Linda keeps mucking around with demonology despite a 100% screwup rate. Brilliant. They make a great case for joining the Anama.

Play Avernum 6 and you will find someone that agrees with you in part at the Tower Colony. I think this is more how Jeff manifests obssessive compulsive disorder with great power.

Well in a way magic DEFINES the Avernum series, maybe more so than it defines Geneforge. Magic is to Avernum as Science is to our World, it makes everything in it work and it makes everything in it make sense, if you are an Avernum NPC. And as far as teleportation goes, Avernum wouldn't be without it. How would you get to Avernum without teleporters, a shovel? And in Avernum 4/5 it is like a car, it revolutionizes the way you travel, and in A5 it makes a good part of the plot possible. It's perfect: pop into the throne room zap, boom done. Your party does the same in Avernum 1.

-Ni

That's another gripe I had with the engine change after the original trilogy. Removal of the outdoor areas meant that keeping everything in scale would result in epic treks through the wilderness. But instead of that, we got the mass abuse of teleportation - suddenly every Mycroft, Hrmrr, and Sskath had access to it. Meh.

[geezer]

Ach, I remember those treks to tha' goblin fort. We did it through miles of snow, fighting off jackals ev'ry step o' the way, we did. *shakes cane*

[/geezer]

Originally Posted By: Orifushi Mafuyu
That's another gripe I had with the engine change after the original trilogy. Removal of the outdoor areas meant that keeping everything in scale would result in epic treks through the wilderness. But instead of that, we got the mass abuse of teleportation - suddenly every Mycroft, Hrmrr, and Sskath had access to it. Meh.

are you ivan illich