general questions

To answer your questions in the order you asked them..

1. I don't really know exactly where the name Avernum came from. I assume Jeff decided in his rewrites of the Exile series, to give it a different name.

2. I don't think you can get into Sulfra's back room. This is one of the places that's impossible to enter. Even if you could enter it by cheating, there's nothing there anyway.

3. Same as above for Khoth's secret library.

4. I think you get an item called the Naturewalker's Torc. I don't know what it does, but that's what you get. As soon as you get the last cache you get this item.

Hope this answers your question.

3. I'm not so sure about Khoth's library. I know you can get access to more of it, at least, by getting farther into the game. If there's a completely inaccessible part I don't remember it.

4. The Naturewalker's Torc gives you +1 to Find Herbs, +4 to Nature Lore (which you obviously don't need!), +4 to Pathfinder, and 20% hostile effect resistance. Oh, and I believe it also gives a point or two of armor. It's nice, but not amazing.

—Alorael, who doesn't believe he has ever actually acquired the Torc. There's always a cache or two he misses.

never played in Avernum series, so tried to start from A1....

after playing some hours I have to ask anyone who can help me:

how can I see remaining enemy health in the battle? as I remember in Geneforge series it looked like a health bar below the hostile character.....

thanks in advance for any help.....

Uncheck "Conceal grid during combat" in the Settings menu. Took me a while to figure this same thing out myself.

Every time I'd get into combat I'd think, "Aren't there supposed to be little health bars under everyone's feet? Nah, I must be thinking of Avernum 4/5!"

Of course, then I changed that option one day and lo! there they were =p

That's entirely possible. I seem to recall spending a lot of time in the A1 Demo trying to get those oh-so-handy Health Bars to appear, with no success. This was doubly irritating because I'd grown to rely heavily on them during A2/A3.

Yes, I started playing A2 first, and never looked back. Can't remember why anymore. Oh well =p

Originally Posted By: Marak
I seem to recall spending a lot of time in the A1 Demo trying to get those oh-so-handy Health Bars to appear, with no success. This was doubly irritating because I'd grown to rely heavily on them during A2/A3.
There is no combat grid in A1. I totally agree that it's useful, though; I find it really helps when you're fighting a monster that just doesn't seem to want to die.