Complete Exile 2 outdoor map (massive spoilers)

Duskwolf

35klfft.gif

You may have to magnify this to see it properly. White is cave floor, black is cave wall, blue is water, cyan is waterfalls, deep green is swamp, dark gray is pits, orange is lava. Medium gray lines are roads; lighter gray shades and pink are used for various cave features. Bright green is for towns and dungeons. (And gray-green is secret cave passages. Shh.)

Upper left corner is Garzahd's fortress. I'm not sure what the other two disconnected bits along the left edge are - I probably haven't gotten there yet. Right and bottom edges are the Dark Waters chapter and Vahnatai lands.

Note that there is nothing shown past the front, and behind a number of checkpoints you can't pass. That's because there is, quite literally, nothing there.

Quote:
Originally written by Duskwolf:
Oh yeah - and, if you're wondering, I generated this from the "outdoor data" file. I didn't make it by hand! I don't have that much time on my hands :p
And with what did you use to generate this? If I had known about that, I wouldn't had wasted months of drawing my maps out by hand!

<---- Hey Look at that...I finally made 250 posts. laugh That's an average of a wimpy 50 posts a year. frowncool

Code:
import sysoutdoors_f = file("outdoors data", 'r')def write_chunk(f, d):  f.write("P3\n48 48\n255\n")  for i in range(48):    for j in range(48):      x = ord(d[48 * j + i])      f.write("255 0 %d " % x)    f.write("\n")i = 0while True:  i += 1  d = outdoors_f.read(3088)  if len(d) < 3088: break  write_chunk(file("chunk%03d.ppm" % i, "w"), d)  i += 1
Given the "outdoors data" file, this generates a bunch of 48x48 chunks with weird (red->pink) colors. I used the Gimp to reassemble the chunks, colorize the joined image, fill in some unreachable areas, and hide the easter-egg area. :p

Python is wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

By a user's request, I've created a "full version" of the outdoor map. It's obviously too large to include the whole thing here, but here's an appetizer:

4t6as61

A 12 MB ZIP archive containing images of all 56 outdoor regions (including the empty ones) is available here: http://files.filefront.com//;8291303;;/

Note that there are a few glitches. In particular, certain border "frills" may be a little off, roads aren't displayed quite correctly, and a few terrain types I haven't decoded yet are displayed as black blocks with characters in them.

I'll be releasing a corrected version, along with town images and the tools I used to create these images, as soon as I've got all the bugs (chitraches?) ironed out.

• 9 months later...

Certainly, decrypting towns takes a lot of time and I'm sure that you're busy everyday, but what about the town maps? If you cannot post them, could you just give a hint, how to write a script decrypting towns from file town.dat? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

From hex address 438,784 in the file "exile.exe":

Ground~Pit~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall~Wall w. secret door~Door~Door~Door~Door~Open door~Closed portcullis~Open portcullis~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. painting~Wall w. painting~Wall w. painting~Wall w. painting~Wall w. window~Wall~Wall~Wall w. secret door~Door~Door~Door~Door~Open door~Closed portcullis~Open portcullis~Wall w. runes~Wall w. runes~Wall w. runes~Wall w. runes~Wall w. window~Wall~Wall~Wall w. secret door~Door~Door~Door~Door~Open door~Closed portcullis~Open portcullis~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. sign~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. trophies~Wall w. window~Floor~Floor~Floor~Floor w. rune~Pedestal~Desk~Counter~Counter~Counter~Book w. pedestal~Pillar~Potted plant~Statue~Statue~Bookshelf~Brazier~Good altar~Chest~Chair~Chair~Chair~Chair~Bed~Ground~Throne~Dresser~Table w. food~Table w. food~Table~Table~Counter~Counter~Counter~Cauldron~Evil altar~Floor~Floor~Floor~Pillar~Good altar~Evil altar~Brazier~Seat~ (there may be three blank entries here) Floor~Floor~Statue~Futon~Glow crystals~Rug~Box~Pedestal w. crystal~Case~Floor w. runes~Pentagram~Pentagram~Pentagram~Pentagram~Seat~Table~Table~Table~Table~Table~Fire pit~Box~Body~Filth~Bonfire~Bedding~Rubble~Rubble~Rubble~Rubble~Mushrooms~Mushrooms~Mushrooms~Stalagmites~Stalagmites~Tree~Tree~Rock~Moldy rock~Swamp~Castle tower~Castle tower~Sign~Totems~Obelisk~Fence~Fence~Statue~Statue~Castle entry~Town~Fort~Dungeon~Pit~Vahnatai town~Ground~Hut~Tower~Water~Bridge~Bridge~Stone bridge~Stone bridge~Rock in water~Waterfall~Lava~Lava~Cracked wall~Crumbly wall~Moldy wall~Cracked wall~Crumbly wall~Moldy wall~Cracked wall~Crumbly wall~Moldy wall~Walkway~Walkway~Walkway~Walkway~Walkway~Ground~Road~Rock~Moldy rock~Strange barrier~Shareware barrier~Ground w. special~Floor w. special~Floor w. special~Floor w. special~Rug~Torch~Torch~Lever~Ground w. special~Floor w. special~Floor w. special~Floor w. special~Portal~Portal~Barrier~Ground~Floor~Lever~Large Crystal~Shareware Chasm~Anvil~Bloody Ground~Ground~

Paste this into Word and change all the tildes into paragraph marks. I can't find any indication as to the properties of each terrain type.

Another approach would be to make a Blades of Exile scenario with sections pasted in from the Exile 2 file Outdoor.dat. This would possibly require hex editing of the picture numbers in the first 91 scenario terrain slots. You could have much more interesting and varied maps.

Edit: the way to decrypt the terrain types is to alter a section of outdoor.dat so that it becomes a display of the various terrain types. I chose the section around Formello and put all 255 types in nice neat lines. First I changed the default to type 77, a floor type. (I actually did the number-crunching in Excel then imported the data into a hex editor.)

Forgot that you can change the graphics, but I will probably enter everything via a spreadsheet anyway.

Edit: I have started an Exile 2 template scenario for Blades of Exile. I am not totally sure what every type of terrain actually does but playing the game will enable me to see that sooner or later.

Edit: I have the scenario up and running, all I need do is paste the sections in. I copy a section from outdoor.dat, paste it into a spreadsheet to convert it and then paste it into the scenario via a hex editor.

First I need to decrypt the file outdoor.dat, I have made some progress there.

Length~Start~Data Type~Name

2,304~0~ unsigned char~terrain[48][48];

36~2,304~ location~special_locs[18];

18~2,340~ unsigned char~special_id[18];

16~2,358~ location~exit_locs[8];

8~2,374~ char~exit_dests[8];

16~2,382~ location~sign_locs[8];

68~2,398~?~(Unknown)

64~2,466~RECT~info_rect[8];

270~2,530~char~(Area names)

288~2,800~?~(Unknown)

~~~

All sections seem to have a fixed length:~3,088 bytes.

(Tildes represent tab stops.)

Edit: I have now pasted in nine of the fifty six outdoor zones. Using a spreadsheet it only takes a few minutes per zone.

Now I have the outdoors sections all sorted out. I can use Exile 3 graphics because they have cave sections sharing a color scheme with the Exile 2 counterparts.

There is a problem with the automap using mixed.bmp, which varies a bit from Exile 3 to Blades of Exile.

Finally I have compiled maps for the Exile 2 outdoors:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/Exile2Outdoormaps.zip

(Above address may need to be copied and pasted in manually.)

I chose to create a Blades of Exile scenario, then I opened it in the BoE editor. The zoom view enabled me to get a picture of each outdoor zone. Exile 2, Exile 3 and Blades of Exile all have automaps that show most of an outdoor zone but not all of it, which is not convenient here.

• 5 years later...

Since someone asked me recently, I dug up the mostly-final outdoor and town maps I'd generated, as well as the scripts I used to generate them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cea5hn5ihd1trmj/59vL0ILFco

There's a few incomplete bits: monsters aren't included on the town maps (as I didn't finish figuring out the monster ID to graphics ID conversion), and a few uncommon tiles don't show up properly on either map. If it really bothers you, fix it yourself; if there's interest, I can throw the scripts up on Github or whatnot. :)

• 4 years later...
On 11/08/2007 at 11:50 PM, Duskwolf said:

By a user's request, I've created a "full version" of the outdoor map. It's obviously too large to include the whole thing here, but here's an appetizer:

4t6as61

A 12 MB ZIP archive containing images of all 56 outdoor regions (including the empty ones) is available here: http://files.filefront.com//;8291303;;/

Note that there are a few glitches. In particular, certain border "frills" may be a little off, roads aren't displayed quite correctly, and a few terrain types I haven't decoded yet are displayed as black blocks with characters in them.

I'll be releasing a corrected version, along with town images and the tools I used to create these images, as soon as I've got all the bugs (chitraches?) ironed out.

Duskwolf, is this still available? I'd love to have the complete outdoor map! Unfortunately the filefront link is dead...

Last I checked, which was admittedly some time ago, MediaFire was a pretty good place to upload files. There are quite a few other options as well. DropBox and Google Drive (and Microsoft's equivalent, OneDrive or something) seem to be popular these days, though those are a little different from straight file hosting. You could also try seeing if one of the other members here wants to host it on their own websites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Huh, I thought I was set to be notified for replies on this thread but I guess that setting got lost in the forum conversion.

Anyways, here's the files. There's a few unfinished bits, but most of it works. If someone else wants to pick this up, I can probably try to answer any questions you've got. It's been literally 10+ years since I last worked on this, though, so I can't promise I'll remember...

http://www.mediafire.com/?dye8ubbcu8536

Duskwolf, that's great, thank you! I have stitched it all together as a seamless map and uploaded it here. Watch out, it is over 5 megabytes... 28k modems beware!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y27vcjyvi3lrxjx/exilemap.png?dl=0

I do have one question... the Abyss seems to be missing from the artwork... how can I get those images? I'd love to finish this map once and for all!