GeneCraft?

Dantius

For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of creating a Geneforge scenario with the Starcraft Campaign Editor. I was thinking something like creating a map of Sucia Island, then put beacons all over it, then programming the locations in such a manner that stepping onto a beacon would take you to a specific level, where you could then play the level, and, upon completion, it would take you back to the World Map. I could probably drastically trim the amount of levels needed to about 25 or so (delete the "filler levels," like the Mines), and then program in some simple dialog and plot. I was wondering, though, whether anyone else would show any interest in this, or am I just doing this to entertain myself (which is fine too). Feedback would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Starcraft II isn't out, but it's in development and the first part should be out in less than a year. Diablo III is also being made. Not every dime goes into WoW at all, and in fact I'd take a wild guess that the amount brought in by monthly fees pays for servers, maintenance, expansions, and more. Subscriptions bring in over $10 million per month.

—Alorael, who has no idea how one would even go about spending $120 million annually on an existing game. There's only so much you can tweak and upgrade, really. And the major upgrades are sold as expansions and bring in yet more money anyway!

Which of their series have been going downhill rapidly? The only game that that even remotely seems to make sense for is World of Warcraft, and trying to argue that it's terrible just doesn't seem like a winning proposition. Those millions of customers apparently beg to differ.

—Alorael, who happens to think Blizzard is one of the few companies that can be relied upon to produce good games. And to produce them months later than expected, but that's par for the course in game development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Reality is not a toy.
Which of their series have been going downhill rapidly? The only game that that even remotely seems to make sense for is World of Warcraft, and trying to argue that it's terrible just doesn't seem like a winning proposition. Those millions of customers apparently beg to differ.

—Alorael, who happens to think Blizzard is one of the few companies that can be relied upon to produce good games. And to produce them months later than expected, but that's par for the course in game development.

Well Warcraft is essentially done for. I could not see Blizzard to even begin thinking of making Warcraft 4, considering they already have World of Warcraft. And I am very suspicious of StarCraft 2. I have a feeling that its gonna pull a Nova or be primarily multiplayer based, while singleplayer is underdeveloped or undersized.

Blizzard does have another MMO project, but they're tight-lipped about it. WoW2? Anyway, I imagine they'll move on with the series when WoW shows its age enough that it starts losing market share, and that's nowhere close to happening.

Diablo III almost certainly is a year or two away from release. It doesn't even have a rough release date yet. Starcraft II will almost certainly bump up its multiplayer focus and quality, since that's where the original made it big, but given that they divided the game into three games, each the size of the original in single-player missions, I don't think lack of single player is a reasonable fear.

—Alorael, who also doubts that the game will become vaporware with a release date set for the next eight months. That will probably get pushed back, as is Blizzard's wont, but turning into vapor would be rather awkward, especially given that there are apparently quite playable prototypes already.

Originally Posted By: Xelgion
Well Warcraft is essentially done for. I could not see Blizzard to even begin thinking of making Warcraft 4, considering they already have World of Warcraft. And I am very suspicious of StarCraft 2. I have a feeling that its gonna pull a Nova or be primarily multiplayer based, while singleplayer is underdeveloped or undersized.

who the hell plays RTSes for singleplayer mode

People who like playing against an AI?lol jk

Good singleplayer is important for a game to thrive in the long run. Just look at all the COD clones that have come out recently for consoles. Few of them have actually done well because they only focused on multiplayer/online and didn't care about giving us crappy 6 hour singleplayer modes.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

Call me crazy, but I like single-player campaigns. They usually have nifty gimmicks that just can't be put into any kind of sane or balanced multiplayer. And plots can be nice. And I like to have some way to learn the ropes before throwing myself into the ravening hordes online.

—Alorael, who wants to know who the hell plays RPGs for single player mode anymore. Seriously, it seems like not making them multiplayer has become a capital crime for everyone but Bioware and indies.

For a while, back when I had time for gaming, I played D2 offline. I was tired of the repetitive motions of making characters, doing runs, and trying to get rich. I wanted a closer experience with the game. That kind of died when I started doing academics again, which was so long ago I can't even remember when it happened.

That's not to say I preferred single player. I just wanted a little change of pace.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

People who like Story, the ability to mess around and test out different things, and to not go against an insane person who memorized the best tactics and combo's in the first week of release. (And Alorael does, apparently.)

I would also like to vouch for single player because I enjoy learning the story, and occasionally I like being able to win. Also when playing I like to hoard technology, waiting until I have every tech before making an army that steamrolls everything. This is generally not a good strategy for online play.

RTSs actually have some of the best stories around. Starcraft and Warcraft had amazing stories. Much better than Diablo at least, which was an RPG (and RPGs are supposed to have the good stories). Age of Empires 2 and 3 had really neat campaigns as well (especially if you're a history dork like me). Also, I actually despise multiplayer RTSs. Probably because everyone is better than me at those, so I always lose. tongue

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
That makes sense. People aren't going to like playing a game that they can't win. Winning is the American (and human) way!

Its not necessarily winning. I do just fine on maps like Lord of the Rings custom maps (The ones with tactics, not just rpging) and Kerrigan's Demise (same concept), its just that singleplayer and campaigns add more than one objective (kill) which multiplayer does not provide when not using custom maps. It also provides a chance for people to screw around and see plausible tactics, good builds, and to just see how the game functions. Online has a competitiveness for obvious reasons that prevent that.

Maybe you missed out on all the background story and such that could be found in the manuals, upon mars, because Starcraft actually had one of the best video game plots out there. It was so good they used the exact same story for Warcraft: Kerrigan = Arthas. It's even better than many role playing games, and you wouldn't think a strategy game would have a particularly good plot in the first place.

Is a making Geneforge in Starcraft even possible?

making geneforge in War3 is quite possible and I have even considered making one myself. Just haven't touched the editor in a while so I'll need to relearn a bunch of stuff. The orc RPG campaign for TFT shows that we could make a Geneforge campaign including a world map that would transfer the character from one area(or map) to another. the hard part would be character item holding, roster and the character statistics/skill point, though I'm sure some good old multiboards could take care of that. I might try this sometime soon.

Blizzard's RTS games do have good plot and gameplay however I believe that half the reason that they are successful is that they have very good map editors so there are lots of good custom maps. Some people buy war3 mostly to play DotA shocked.

Starcraft 2 is not out out and it might just be good that way. First blizzard shows us some pretty sweet gameplay and powerful editor and then they start showing things like the menu, premium maps, needing a battle.net 2 account to play, getting rid LAN, etc. I've kind of given up on blizzard making any more good games.

• 1 month later...

When I read this topic, I absolutely had to say that I had made geneforge-themed maps with both SC and WC3. I then went on to talk about those maps, and fifteen to twenty minutes and a trip down memory lane later I hit the submit button only to realize my connection cut out. There's twenty more minutes of my life down the drain.

I just got a vision of myself on my deathbed, my life flashing before my eyes and getting to this part, and my older self is specifically regretting THOSE twenty minutes.

Perhaps my ghost has come from the future to make me feel bad about myself.