The Labyrinth RP

Ephesos

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this session, I not only rolled just short of half of all criticals; I also doubled my crit record so far.

And all but one of them failed laughably.

Quote:

(2009-11-16 02:13:32) Arancaytar: I attempt to scry the water.

(2009-11-16 02:13:33) Arancaytar: RealArancaytar rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

(2009-11-16 02:14:57) Arancaytar: Because I scried it, and I'm Temmyn, the master scrier.

Result: I saw through the illusion so well that I failed to actually see it. And then the illusion proceeded to do damage to people.

Quote:

(2009-11-16 02:23:04) Ephesos: It's not long before you come to another dead end. The junk here looks particularly dangerous, coming in shades of broken, rusty, and pointy.

(2009-11-16 02:23:39) Arancaytar: Artifice

(2009-11-16 02:23:45) Arancaytar: RealArancaytar rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

This one actually rocked.

Quote:

(2009-11-16 02:43:43) Arancaytar: "Beware, for I wield mighty magic! Flee or be destroyed!"

(2009-11-16 02:43:53) Arancaytar: (intimidate)

(2009-11-16 02:43:56) Arancaytar: RealArancaytar rolled 1 20-sided die: 16

(2009-11-16 02:44:12) Arancaytar: (I'll fire lightning into the air if that helps)

(2009-11-16 02:44:13) Arancaytar: RealArancaytar rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

Result: I wasted my best attack spell ever on killing the air. The intimidation failed, and I spent several rounds unconscious.

Quote:

(2009-11-16 04:27:46) Arancaytar: I join Nioca in examining the wall.

(2009-11-16 04:27:48) Arancaytar: RealArancaytar rolled 1 20-sided die: 20

(2009-11-16 04:27:57) Ephesos: The wall has no discernible weak points.

(2009-11-16 04:28:17) Arancaytar: okay, but at least now we're really, really sure it doesn't.

... ;_;

I'm sorry... but I can explain the last two. With the third crit, you did actually help drive off the attackers faster. It's just unfortunate that the lead enemy also rolled a crit on you.

And with the last one... yeah. They are giant spiky walls of doom. I thought I got that point across.

Going through the log, you had some pretty good attacks anyway:

Quote:
Temmyn

I try for another lightning bolt, spending two stamina points this time.

DICE

Temmyn rolled 1 20-sided die: 19

DM (Ephesos)

There's another clap of thunder, and a sound like breaking glass.

Also, this was pure win:

Quote:
Temmyn

"Well, we're out of the frying pan now."

Lindy

"And into the fire..."

Temmyn

"That remains to be seen."

Conall

"Time to crack a few eggs."

So I'm double-posting a fair amount in this thread. I don't much care, since I'm the one organizing it all. :p

Anyway, log #9 has been posted! This one comes out at 68 pages... very nearly topping the first session. Also, the campaign's page has been updated with current character sheets.

Now, the quotes:

• John: "Or we could beat the snot out of him. After forcing him to buy a hat."
  • Kaval: "If our plan is to talk to him, we should talk about leaving John behind."
  • Hoggle: "Most of the portals that open here lead to the Plane of Dreams. Strange things come through, strange things and strange ideas. Generally, it's best not to think about it."
  • Lord Frod: "Enough! You may not pass! Trespass on our land and you will suffer!"
  • Etris: "I'm just hoping someone spiked my drink with something, frankly. But the odds of it dwindle by the day."
  • DM: Thuja smells like the finest soaps available.
  • Lindy: "It's not real... It's not real. No matter how nice it is it's not real and it's not worth getting killed over."
  • Conall: "My happy place, no!"
  • Thuja: "We control a giant friggin' machine and we're dawdling. What's wrong with us? Let's keep going."
  • Temmyn: Man, Mechanic-Wizard-Healer-Tank-driver. Am I bad or am I BAD.
    And once again, the calendar for the final session is up! If you haven't already replied to it, do so soon!

In context: tongue

Quote:

(2009-11-16 03:48:21) Rowen: How does Thuja smell?

(2009-11-16 03:48:36) Ephesos: Thuja smells like the finest soaps available.

(2009-11-16 03:48:44) Arancaytar: (Dream.)

(2009-11-16 03:48:51) Rowen: "Now this is a great place."

(2009-11-16 03:48:54) Dikiyoba: (Nightmare!)

Also, this was pretty funny:

Quote:
Temmyn

print "I AM TEMMYN THE TINKER!";

Temmyn

(Err, sorry. I'm wrapped in Python code right now.)

Programming and RPing at the same time does weird stuff to your head.

On the map, there's an island named Tanan. I only bring it up because:

Quote:
From Session 3

Etris: "Oh thank Tanann."

Spooky.

Anyway, looking forward to the session. Got it figured out what my character's going to do after the campaign (assuming, of course, he survives), and I look forward to the new campaign.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
*prods topic*

Remember, Sunday!

Also, to those interested in the next campaign, here's the rough map of the setting. It's an old map.

Ooh, I love maps! I'm not yet sure about my character's fate, but I'll know soon.

Also, do you already have a glimpse into the new universe's classes, races, etc.?

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Also, do you already have a glimpse into the new universe's classes, races, etc.?

Remember how I said I'd be soliciting input in the future? Well, yeah. I have no idea what the races/classes are in this universe, because I haven't really heard from anyone about it. I'd like to avoid mirroring standard D&D or Tolkien, but borrowing is always good. tongue

Suffice it to say, there will be druids, and Nioca probably did just name a god.

Would it be possible to make a gunslinger type of character? What kind of technology would be found in this world? Is magic a common place thing or rare, or is magic nothing more then a trick of light and quick hands at cards?

If the world is one were the Labyrinth players reside then magic is found but is not common. There will be hat sales men and axes that work backwards. Healers and as Eph has said, druids. Altho I am not sure what I druid would be able to do, talk with squirrels and find where they hid the nuts for the winter?

I imagine horses can be found here and are used for work more then war. Steam power might possible but with magic perhaps other more efficient means are available.

Looking at the map agriculture might be the largest form of work for people. As to if they own the land they farm or if they are serfs I have no way of telling. By the clusters of towns or villages I would guess bronze and iron are workable mettles and that maybe steel but rarely. People would build towns around blacksmiths, tanners, and other tradesmen. Blacksmiths are a little more permanent because anvils and smithing tools weigh more then one can carry on his back.

Just some of my thought after looking at the map and some questions as to what what the state of this world might be that cannot be guessed at from the map.

EDIT: After looking at the map again I am starting to think that the land masses are a bunch of small islands. That would change game play a lot. I need to go play Zelda: Wind-waker some more if they are all island. But having a talking boat would be the coolest thing.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Would it be possible to make a gunslinger type of character? What kind of technology would be found in this world? Is magic a common place thing or rare, or is magic nothing more then a trick of light and quick hands at cards?

I had a talk with Eph about technology levels earlier. The basic assumption is mediaeval-fantasy-level technology, but players who want characters with higher technology will be handled on a case-by-case basis; I was able to get him to tentatively okay a mad-inventor character whose weapon of choice was essentially a crude grenade launcher. Since you're not going to get a mechanical benefit from it anyway, it's a matter of whether the flavour can be made to fit the world.

hmm i wonder if a lycanthrope would fit at all...

the idea of a person who is baiscally feral and goes phycotic on the full moon could be fun

or on the flipside some major socialite who is actually able to get on with people

that would stand out among all the misfits sure to go adventuring

also i noticed several dots that had bold names would they be citys etc

if so what would the social economic situation eg kingdoms contained within each island

and the interactions could make an interesting situation

Whoah whoah whoah... like I said, it's all in flux. Very little aside from the map exists. This is in part why I'm not starting this campaign immediately after Labyrinth ends.

Let's just let the next campaign sit until then, okay? Feel free to keep coming up with character concepts, just remember that it's going to be a little while before anything new gets rolling.

(One of the great things about Labyrinth has been that there's a bit of pre-existing structure for me to fall back on if my well of ideas runs dry. I still need to dig the well for this new setting.)

No idea, no idea. I have opening hooks for two potential campaigns, as well as a general intro to the world itself. None of these will be posted until Labyrinth is completed. I've heard word that someone else wants to run a campaign after I'm done with this one, so I'll probably end up using that time to plot things out in greater detail.

(Speaking specifically, it'll go something like this. Labyrinth wraps up on Sunday. When I finish the log, this thread will be locked, and we'll have a thread for the wrap-up. Then, we'll see. But my next campaign certainly won't be starting any time soon, I've realized.)

Okay, heads-up. Barring an act of the computer gods, I will not be able to attend. My computer just went down completely, making it impossible for me to get on AIM. I'm posting from a different computer that I can't AIM from, so... yeah.

If you don't want to reschedule, I can sit this one out and have someone sub for me.

I am really, really sorry for the sudden inconvenience.

Update: I'm now coming to you live from some antiquated piece of [crap] some idiot has the audacity to call a computer. With any luck, I should be able to make it to the session. It won't be pretty, but no total computer failures will keep me from seeing how this will play out. But don't be surprised if I'm moving slow.

Dear god does this thing suck... Where's the submit button?

Halp!

Oh there it is.

Update: I'm now coming to you live from some antiquated piece of [crap] some idiot has the audacity to call a computer. With any luck, I should be able to make it to the session. It won't be pretty, but no total computer failures will keep me from seeing how this will play out. But don't be surprised if I'm moving slow.

Halp!

Oh there it is.

Now you know how I feel. :p

Halp!

Oh there it is.

Now you know how I feel. :p

Bah. Your Wii has nothing on this. It started out as a glitchy, virus-laden Windows ME-possessed unstable P3 that could barely run the browser.

Thankfully, I've been able to whip it somewhat into shape with a reformat, a quick exorcism, and an installation of XP.

Sorry for the scare, Eph. I genuinely thought I wouldn't be able to make it.

Session #10, and the campaign as a whole, have been completed. I'll have a log posted soon, and then the wrap-up thread will materialize.

If you have an epilogue prepared for your character, send it along, and we'll talk. Most likely, I'll let it slide unless it's stupid or directly contradicts some world aspect I'd already imagined.

Sure enough, here I am and it's only 1:30 am here.

Log #10 is complete, and is available HERE. And those who wish to see the misadventures of Etris and Lindy can click HERE. As always, all of the logs are available at my website.

And now, the final batch of quotes:

• Hoggle: "I swear I'm going to bury him."
  • John: "Bow down and buy my hats!"
  • Kaval: "I'd like to establish that when one of us gets lost the rest have to go looking. You know, just in case."
  • Etris: "Wait a minute... Lindy's gone!"
  • Lindy: "Jareth, I'm sorry! For all of us... and I'm sorry that Sarah broke your heart."
  • Thuja: "You know what? I'm really more comfortable with turning around and not trying to do anything that involves taking massive falls."
  • Temmyn: "Trap, or secret door. One way to find out. Two ways actually, but one of them would be tedious and boring and the other is dangerous."
  • Conall: "Eugh. Tentacles. Balls. When are we going to fight something nice. Like a bunny or a baby seal?"
  • Jareth: "You are in my citadel. This is unacceptable, so I must kill you. She would've wanted it so."

Well, that's all, so this thread's time is through. Check out the wrap-up thread for more details. Thanks for playing, everyone!

4126817503_901db51ff2.jpg