A3: Giant Caverns - temple quickfire trap question

I remember back in Exile 3 quickfire persisted in dungeons. However, when I triggered the quickfire trap in the temple here (by swiping that dagger from the altar), when I exited then reentered the dungeon it looked like it had been reset.

As to how I got past the temple portculi (that was a nasty surprise >_> ), I simply went into combat mode, sent one hasted character to grab the dagger, then ran back to the temple entrance where I cancelled combat - which put my party together back outside the portculi. (I remember the Exile series had similar exploits, like when special encounters had to have a shiny white circle to trigger, and you could examine them from a neighbouring tile instead of actually stepping on them, etc).

I went back in to retrieve my horse from the entrance, as I'd fled the quickfire via the one-way southeast exit. Was quite surprised to see no quickfire. Even went back to the temple. The portculi were open, and the altar didn't trigger anything else.

So quickfire's been defanged?

The way you're intended to do it is by grabbing the dagger and leaving the temple through a secret passage. If you do that you get a message telling you the quickfire is dying down, and when you come back to the entrance the quickfire has gone, and the portculli are open again. Presumably the game assumes that that's what you've done.

-E-