Dead NPCs (townsfolk)

Couldn't find any mention of this.

Playing A3 currently; I'm in a town where hostiles may randomly spawn. If they slay an NPC, am I totally screwed? After all you can't resurrect non-party members.

I was far on one side of town when I noticed all those combat messages. Then after a while the messages stopped. Oops. When I arrived to clean up I took a quick headcount and noticed one guy missing. Exited town, reentered, still can't find him.

I really hope he wasn't important, but if he was, am I boned? The character editor has an option to peace a hostile town but not raise dead NPCs. Now my memory might be going, but I thought one of the earlier games, maybe the Exile incarnations, had something about restoring NPCs or something.

There's no way to revive 'em? Sigh.

I already compulsively close every door I can, but mostly because I don't like NPCs wandering off and getting lost. It's annoying to look for mr shopkeeper when he's wandered halfway across town.

Combing through the town (Dellston) shows that the missing guy is the crazy kung fu dude (Durning). From what I can tell of my notes from previous playthroughs he isn't involved in any quest - so I suppose I lucked out.

Still. I hate people dying on my watch. Not enough to reload to revive them though, it's gonna kill what little immersion left.

R.I.P. Durning. I'll make sure to tell the mad monks down south that he said hi.

Oh, that would make sense. But no, I'd rather not mess around with such a general catch-all switch (not that I've angered any towns yet, I think). Thanks for the tip though.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Durning doesn't show up elsewhere. At least according to the notes I have when I played this game previously, his name only appears in this town. I broke my rule of not looking at a guide, and happily his name doesn't appear anywhere either - I guess he's just one of those random flavour-text NPCs.