Eclectic stuff.

Ur_Vile_Wedge

Hi guys. It's been a while, and then a while. It's a testament to Vogel that I find myself here once again, badgering people for information.

I've recently been finding myself replaying the old exiles, (Because A5 is coming out reasonably soon, so I replayed A4, which had all the references to the past games, and I wanted to just kind of browse through them.........)

Anyway, Since I've already beaten the games, I felt little problem with using the editor to make super characters, with an eye towards creating bizarre situations unlikely to come up through normal play.

example. I gave Frrrr at the start, a 20 dex and nephil. (then used Editor to fill in the gaps) He now has a dex of 21, higher than the normal maximum. He also has nimble fingers and the nimble gloves (or whatever they're called.) However, he seems to fail his disarm checks quite often........ Is there some overflow applied?

Also, I remember how to do it with the first Exile Editor, but is it possible to directly manipulate experience points with the later ones? I've had to settle for (I'm on 2) modifying the characters traits when they were roughly level thirty (give them all bad traits, kill one monster, jump to level 78 for most of them, switch back to normal traits) but that's a pain in the ass. Is there an easier way to do this?

Oh, lastly (unless I think of some more stuff.) I just noticed how Camp Samuels seemed to move. In A4, it's northeast of Almaria, and that's critical, as it helps you get past the locked gates. In Exile 2, it's northwest of Almaria, almost due north of the Castle. Hmmm. I used to do a thing with the ultimas , I was a member of this nitpicking site. Maybe I should do the same for the Vogel games? :p

Oh, actually, that thing up there wasn't last. This is. I was toying with the idea of (I say toying because even if I say, get the rights from vogel to make such a game, which I probably won't, I would never actually put the time and energy and thought into this to really make this work), but anyway, I was toying with the idea of making a sort of turn based strategy game based on the Empire/Exile war of E2. You would get armies,(Exiles train them in the cities/forts, Empire has to teleport them from above.) important mages with special rules (not the ones attached to an ordinary force, the superpeople, Erika, Garzhad, etc.) adventurers of course (They wouldn't fight the armies directly, but do certain types of missions, like intelligence gathering, sabotage, assassination of leaders, vahnatai related stuff.) and probably both random and scripted events. (things like the barriers going up, or the Empire making a deal with the eyebeasts and Gazers to attack Cotra. Things like that.)

Does it at least sound interesting? Or am I an idiot? (yes, I realize they aren't mutually exclusive)

Blosk moves in all three games where it's depicted too. Come to think of it, while the Tower of Magi doesn't move, the stalagmite fild in front of it changes. (I always did think it a bit odd that in the first game you needed to find a secret door to get in. Do they not want visitors? I guess) Hmm, you're right about the northwest northeast thing. I'll edit.

Camp Samuels moving is one of the more egregious differences. Most other movements can be explained by the different ways the map is represented in the games. It's unlikely that the cave walls are moving around, however slightly, either, so when Blosk moves a little west, it's not hugely noticeable. Given that the stalagmite field by the ToM in E/A 1 was supposedly built to keep the tower hidden, this seems an intentional change.

However, Camp Samuels moving a long distance across a river is a bit of a stretch.

In a way, the discontinuities are as much fun for the fans as the continuities. As for example when Rone gets resurrected in Avernum 4 and there is a little reference to his gravestone in Avernum 3 being based on a rumor.

Personally I was quite amused picturing the hard work when Camp Samuels was dismantled, transported wholesale across the river and reassembled; not to mention the family arguments when Sulfras the dragon decided to have that operation.