Who still plays this game?

chaosinwriting

Just a quick question about how many people still play this game. I don't want to get into this only to have my work tested by a few. I know that some of you are die hard fans of this game and your work is definitely of a higher caliber than I could produce on my first attempt. I'd just like to put my chips in with the rest of you if there is still a sizable pot.

There are a few of us who still make things, albeit slowly. I like to imagine that there is a large and secret fanbase who sit at their keyboards, f5ing on the hour, waiting for the next release. In this fantasy, I am a celebrity and Kill Them Dead is the very air they breathe.

I would be lying if I said there was a thriving community, but the few of us around are always looking for new designers and are very helpful in that regard. Unfortunately, at this point in time, at least half of wanting to make a scenario is going to have to come from a personal desire to make something, rather than a desire to have a lot of people play it. People will play anything you make, it's just not going to be on the scale of, say, the number of people who play DoTA for Warcraft III.

First of all, count me as a player.

If you're worried about a lack of people, I wouldn't be. I mean, it's not like the number of pokemon fans on the gamefaqs forum, but there is enough. And if you're worried about spending your money on a game with no fan-base, then try Blades of Exile. It's free, and it definitely has a bigger fan-base than this. There must be hundreds of scenarios already.

I play BoA, beta-test, and judge and review scenarios. I've been making a scenario on and off for two years (even though it's very small, I never seem satisfied with what I'm doing so I end up coming back to it several months later), though I doubt it will ever reach the light of day because I simply don't put forth enough effort.

Originally Posted By: human of the year
I didn't spot a review, Smoo. wink

You didn't spot one because I hate that place (Shadow Vale) so much.

Or.

I like to post my reviews in chunks, so you're going to have to wait until I finish all the other new stuff that's come out since (and including) Triple Valley.

Believe whichever explanation you prefer.

A Blades of Geneforge or Blades of Nethergate might revive interest in the BoA game itself. But these won't happen any time in the foreseeable future.

I could easily whip up a template based upon the Nethergate towns and outdoor zones, there is currently an Avernum 2 Template. The interesting Druid spell game mechanics would be very tough indeed.

A Blades of Geneforge template would be like trying to have a BoE template based upon Avernum or Nethergate, tough going again.

• 4 weeks later...