Ganduv's G5 script editor[G5]

Originally Posted By: Geneforge34
im on windows

Okay, here's a step-by-step guide. I'm fairly sure I've done one of these before, but still.

1. Move the Geneforge 5 icon to the desktop [not strictly necessary, but it's easier]
2. Right-click the icon. I'm redirected to HP (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Spiderweb Software\Geneforge 5\, you might be sent somewhere different if you installed it somewhere else
3. Select "Open File Location"
4. Open "Geneforge 5 Files"
5. Open "Scripts"
6. Move "g5itemschars" to somewhere safe. It doesn't really matter, I just a "Backup Scripts" folder in My Documents".
7. Get Ganduv's modified file from the Internet.
8. Copy the file to the "Scripts" folder in the Geneforge 5 file. You may need Administrator permission on your computer to do this, since it's in a protected location.
9. Close out, and boot up Geneforge 5.
10. Go to Minallah and run the editor through the sign (I think that's how you activate it, if not, my bad)

I think that's all, if you need anything else, just ask!

thanks, dantius. Im now on geneforge 5 scripts folder. now how do i transfer the script from the editor?

Either right-click and select "Copy", and paste, and et cetera, or you can just click on the file, hold it down, and drag it to the desired location and release.

Again, if it give you a permission error, I can't really help you, you'll just need an Administrator password on that machine.

Is ganduv's modified file posted here on the forums?
Yes, it's linked in Strategy Central. The download link is here.

also how do you run the editor
and where's the minallah sign?
There's a sign in Minallah right as you enter the zone from the Testing Hall. Just click it and and a dialog box will pop up showing the options for character editing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oooh necromancy! Yeah, I'm revisiting this game after a long time.

Links to Ganduv's original seem OK at Rapidshare. Megaupload has been taken down for alleged piracy, so Halt's tweak is no longer available.

It's not entirely clear in the thread what these are supposed to do, but it looks like you get mega-stats and fabulous equipment from the first one in your start locaiton, and a super magic/shaping teacher in Minallah from the "Minah" script.

It's not quite what I was looking for - a small tweak to stats would be nice but I don't want to godmode my way around. Maybe I'll have to learn myself smile (EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong here. There is a small increment option. Option 4 - memory(skills) modifier. These little tweaks do work.)

The equipment "shaper gear" etc don't work, and give errors - as was noted in the OP. Was there ever a fix?

A slight oddity that happened when I loaded in these scripts is that I had some tools in the inventory and the amount went to "X". They don't stack; I'd really like to change that aspect. Inventory management without a junk bag is not so much fun.

Originally Posted By: Hecate
It's not entirely clear in the thread what these are supposed to do, but it looks like you get mega-stats and fabulous equipment from the first one in your start locaiton, and a super magic/shaping teacher in Minallah from the "Minah" script.

It's not quite what I was looking for - a small tweak to stats would be nice but I don't want to godmode my way around. Maybe I'll have to learn myself (EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong here. There is a small increment option. Option 4 - memory(skills) modifier. These little tweaks do work.)

Very much the same opinion. But I could control the how many skill points I can give thing...

Originally Posted By: Hecate
The equipment "shaper gear" etc don't work, and give errors - as was noted in the OP. Was there ever a fix?

He says he's gonna fix it. But he hasn't logged in for a little while a long time

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Rehctawthgin's Spectre
Pffttt... I'm not a program expert, but GF5 has limits. Ya really know somethin? Script modifying 101% won't crash your game, guaranteed. Unless, you changed a few variables that will prevent the game for progressing...
-----------
-Nightwatcher

I'm not so sure about this. It was definitely possible to crash Blades of Avernum by including malformed or invalid arguments in functions.

Originally Posted By: Rehctawthgin's Hoovy
Oh yeah, I was wondering why was Blades of Avernum scripts are very too much sensitive. Can anyone tell?

Inadequate sanity checking of inputs, basically. For example, if you tell BoA to place an object on a location that doesn't exist, it'll try to do so, and crash in the attempt.

• 3 months later...

I've been modding this quite a bit, I managed to fix the editor and sort out my own items and stuff. But I think a major oversight is that the editor cannot be used as an anvil. Is there any way to make the editor usable as such? I've been looking over the places that do have anvils and I cant find a common code to use.