Continuing characters from game to game

Do you use the same characters with the same names for each game you play?

I find myself sticking to the same character names, graphics, abilities and order for each game I play.

I don't know why, but I think I've grown attached to my Wii, Ssscheth and the like.

This might sound stupid, but I sort of like to think my heroes are the same ones in each game (I kno they're not), or the children of the previous heroes, with their parents identities hidden in order to protect them. Sort of like a legacy of heores.

What do you think? Do you become attached and use the same characters all the time, or do you not care and continually switch between games?

I used to use the same names and graphics. But changes in the game engine make it necessary to change some abilities. There are certain graphics that I always like to use for characters since I will spend hours having to look at them.

In only Avernum 4, mage spell unlock improves with tool use so that ability has to be with a mage. This is the only game in the series where it happens.

Avernum 1 allows you to start with higher level spells for custom characters than the other games. Also you have to have all humans.

I forget which games allow hardiness or defense to lower encumberance when wearing heavy armor. Avernum 3 is hardiness.

Otherwise it's the same basic party/

I never use the same characters, because I always make up a story behind my parties, and they have to actually make sense regarding the other games.

For example, when the slithzerikai became playable PCs, I started giving them names like "Hossass-Thss" or something else with the same ending, figuring that the outcast grandson of Hss-Thss would want to join my adventurers.

(Just waiting for the possibility of having a Banter-Ihrno.)

Originally Posted By: Rent-an-Ihrno
I never use the same characters, because I always make up a story behind my parties, and they have to actually make sense regarding the other games.

For example, when the slithzerikai became playable PCs, I started giving them names like "Hossass-Thss" or something else with the same ending, figuring that the outcast grandson of Hss-Thss would want to join my adventurers.

(Just waiting for the possibility of having a Banter-Ihrno.)

Maybe better a Barter-Ihrno...
Anyway, from A1 to A2 to the other games, there are years or decades of storyline, so it makes no sense to have the same characters with name and abilities, for role purpose...imho

Sometimes I have the same names, for example in A3 and BoA my party is named Jack, Teal'C, Samantha and Daniel (from Stargate SG-1) but for A1 I had an all girl party named Buffy, Faith, Willow and Cordelia (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

But my parties names can totally change depending on what I'm reading or watching at the moment.

For example, I'm reading David Edding's Belgariad and Mallorean series now, so my next party could totally be named after characters in those books. Actually, that's a great idea! laugh

Darn, I totally want to go play A2 right now instead of being at work. frown

The names and races change between games. I started with A2 and had two sliths and two nephilim, so the party obviously had to change for A1. The abilities usually stay about the same, though. A fighter, two mage/priests, and a rogue.

Dikiyoba's BoA parties are all over the place because scenarios tend to be set up so different.

I do re-use character names, but unlike the OP don't consider them to be the same characters transplanted from one game to the next. Nor am I consistent about allocating names to the same character class e.g. Borodin might be a priest in one game but an archer in the next one. It's just quicker to not have to come up with a new name at a point when I'd rather get straight into the action...