Weird spells in Exile 3

Ironweed

My fav, speel was evenom, where when it comes down to the nitty gritty you can share power between party members, plus mindduel, and magic map all of them are good spells have not really played exile 1 all the way through i was reading the post about recharge i guss that can mean recharging wands or perhaps spell points itself, i'll have to take a look at that,

Clint

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to consider potions, scrolls, wands and such as loot to be cashed in to support my insatiable appetite for knowledge potions. The only ones I keep a few of are the energy elixirs, because I travel with six magic users (three fighter/priests, three mage/priests). With this sort of party you have enough spell points to replace any sort of potion, with the obvious exception of energy potions.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I tend to consider potions, scrolls, wands and such as loot to be cashed in to support my insatiable appetite for knowledge potions
You could always learn how to make knowledge brews, or buy enough alchemy to use the Lorelei money cheat to get the cash you need (the latter is very effective, albeit rather tedious).

Or you can do the unicorn horn cheat.

Click to reveal..
Killing a unicorn horn selling it to the one guy who has the orb of thralni for 2 coins a piece and buy it back and sell it to the guy in the most right room of the importent peoples (mage, mayor, jobgiver) in krizan for ten coins a piece because the orb of thralni owner can sell stuff unlimeted times.

sorry for not knowing names >.<

I was thinking of Exile I, where the knowledge brew recipe is not available. But even in Exile III, getting the recipe is a difficult quest to accomplish, and ember flowers & mandrake root are rare. Not to mention that you have to have spent a great deal of skill points into your alchemist in order to be able to concoct the stuff. Don't get me wrong, I do go out of my way to do this, but I develop an addiction to it early on.

BTW, I am also fond of the tactic of six Divine Thuds concentrated on the target that needs clearing out the most. It comes from my demolitions training in the army.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
No, that would unbalance things to beyond game-breaking.
I don't really think it'd be game-breaking if it's a straight transfer of spell points between two casters. If it's actual regeneration of spell points, then maybe. It would affect balance though.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
Or you can do the unicorn horn cheat.
Click to reveal..
Killing a unicorn horn selling it to the one guy who has the orb of thralni for 2 coins a piece and buy it back and sell it to the guy in the most right room of the importent peoples (mage, mayor, jobgiver) in krizan for ten coins a piece because the orb of thralni owner can sell stuff unlimeted times.
...what.

Pestilence seems to be overlooked here. I find Pestilence to be an excellent spell for thinning crowds before they see me, as it can pass through walls. A single casting of Pestilence can wipe out champions, mages, and priests. Multiple castings will take down wizards and high priests. That's much better than shockwave.

Pestilence is useless in open combat, for the reasons you stated. But it is invaluable in towns, where you can wipe out hordes of enemies before they have even noticed you. Given that it only costs 6 spell points, I think that is a bargain.

Shockwave is useless, given that it injures your own party members, and is superceded by level 5 damage spells (firestorm).

What does Pestilence do? i cant check because i deleted all my Spiderweb games to make Avadon run faster.

It diseases everyone in the target range, causing them to take damage over a number of rounds.

Sweet. I think that the level 6 or 7 spell that puts ever wall (Ice wall,wall of blades, force wall,ETC) around you sucks. It has an anti magic cloud in it too. So if your priests casts that and tries to leave it he will either be hurt by all the walls, or in one spot not be able to cast spells.

No, its a spell that...*sigh* am i goint to have to go back to exile 3's demo, Finish the first two plagues, fight in the tower of magi and go through all the magic people to get it again and tell you what spell it is? no its a spell that surounds you in a circle kind of, All the walls in a protective circle around your priest.

Right. You can't buff without damaging yourself. The only time it's useful is when you're facing someone who's throwing lots of spells at you and you want to force your enemies to take damage in reaching you. How often is that? Basically never.

—Alorael, who is sure Ash Lael could manage to use that spell effectively for something. He can't.

Originally Posted By: Five aces in the hole
Right. You can't buff without damaging yourself. The only time it's useful is when you're facing someone who's throwing lots of spells at you and you want to force your enemies to take damage in reaching you. How often is that? Basically never.

Huh? Almost every outdoor encounter in Exile 2 is like that (Bladesmen/Dervishes + Empire Archers + Wizards/Mages). Protective Circle could prove invaluable with careful party placement and stacks of razordisks or arrows. Position your PC's around the caster, then fire off a protective circle to protect them against magic. Then pick off all the troops at your leisure. Judicious use of poisoned arrows might also help.

If your priest is in the thick of it, it could be handy to shoot off a protective circle as well.

This is all theoretical, of course.

I still think its pretty useless in exile three. Hasnt any one notised that theres like more mages trying to kill you then fighters?
You realize that actually makes it more useful? By casting Protective Circle, you make it impossible for those mages to attack you!

Antimagic field works just as well for that and doesn't spam the other walls.

—Alorael, who supposes combinations of dervishes and wizards, or vahnatai blademasters and shapers, do make convincing arguments for Protective Circle. He still found it more useful to put specific walls where he wanted them and not force his party to bunch up.

One question. I know where you find major blessing,But how much rune reading do you need to get it?
I don't remember anymore, but I think your party's total rune reading needs to be somewhere in the high teens, maybe twenty at most. If memory serves, you only need a total of about 24-25 rune reading skill for the entire game.
Originally Posted By: Venom
Protective Circle(PC) really didn't have much point. Except for that it looked cool. smile
Yeah, Protective Circle is basically useless except as a novelty.

Slarty's point is that Jeff probably knew how much work it would be and so didn't even attempt it in the first place. There are (probably, Slarty has looked more at the BoE code than I have, I'm guessing) no sections of code anything like what would be required, and Jeff has a tendency to leave that sort of thing lying around. (For an example of a feature that Jeff probably was planning to include but abandoned, see the 'location' datatype in the BoA implementation of Avernumscript. The game interpreter recognizes it and there are a couple of valid operations with it, but nothing more.)

It's just out of character to do something like that, both for Jeff in general and for the Exile series in particular.

I don't actually think the coding would be that prohibitive: just slap a "protective circle" status on the caster and check for that whenever the PC moves.

The issue is that there is pretty much zero dynamic movement of anything in any SW game. It's just not SW style, so I see no reason to suspect, let alone assume, that Jeff originally aimed for it.