Avernum 3 - Alien Slime has reset?

I've played up through destroying the Giant/Trogg barrier, and I realized that I had not seen the rune back in the Alien Slime cavern (I have the scales and the crystal shards, though).

I went back to go get it, and there were slimes in the lower caves, and the five little green pools were alive again (though killing only one of them instead of all five would show the dialogue that tells you you can get through to the Alien Slime). The Alien Slime was alive again! I killed it a second time, and to see what would happen I went to Anaximander, who gave me the congratulation speech over again.

I realize that it's entirely possible that I've tripped something I shouldn't have while messing around with the character editor (what can I say? I hate not having items identified). But I would like to know if anybody else has ever experienced this issue, and if anyone has any speculations as to whether my game will progress normally if I do just kill the Alien Slime over again or whether I'll hit some deeper game snarl as a result of character editor oddness. frown

Thanks, all.