need help in creating new scenario - scenario mainly about orc's, orcish plaague, ect... (lookin for any good ideas)

Necrophilius

im goin to make scenario about orcs. But I havent got too many ideas...

Anyway, im lookin for as many ideas as possible, to choose the best ones (best imo, of course) laugh

I have one main idea - orcish plague. Not made by Rentar\vahnahtai\frustrated mage\demons\ect.

Just somethin like - orcs opened portal to another world, in this case - humans world, which we know from exile trilogy. They invade, for some reason (as their world is less friendly - just a rocky wasteland, with poor flora, and mainly carniviorous animals, hard to hunt, ect...)

And they would be inteligent (or, at least, had some inteligent magi, small percent of extraordinary smart warlocks ("uber-magi"), and a majority of dumb "grunts" (warrior class, with exceptional strenght, and small brains laugh )

feel free to give your ideas, about everythin. For example:

scenario events, side missions, artifacts, special items, town names (especially for orc settlements, to sound savage)

Orc history (my idea- far ascentors of troglodytes, but stronger, with better mages, and with 3 classes (peons, warriors, and magi. Theyre similar to troglodytess, but still green, as troglos got used to humans world, which changed some of it features, like skin colour, ect - just like with niggers in africa - theyre black because they live in specific area, where sun makes their skin tanned, and change their dna to be black...)

Units - my ideas: meele warriors,

spearman (weaker meele than warrior, but good dist), berserkers (good speed, strong hits, but lack of def), shamans/druids (various priests or magipriest),

were-wolfes, shapeshifters (medium mage-priests, fighting in form of animal)

necromancers (1 or 2 lev mage/priest with high chance of summoning undead),

warlocks (lev7 mage spell),

elementalists (fire/ice, and summoning elementals),

blockers (strong attack, fully armored, but very slow)

wolf/bear riders - (fastest ones, medium att/arm, just first charge, irritating and dangerous for mage characters)

riddles/logic - labirynths, tricky dungeons, "enforcing" to use brain instead of blade, ect)

orcs and other races - their possibile allies, enemies, ect.

Are they makin friends and creating a hideous "horde" ?

or are they enslaving weaker races, wiping them out, and fightin everythin on their way?

or maybe worshipping some insane gods, and fulfiling their insane orders?

or maybe theyre a demon-worshipping race? (yawn? demons again? it may sux...)

theres no bad ideas, so dont hesitate to give your own tongue

moreover, im lookin for someone who could help me a bit (mainly, with my questions "howto", when I meet trouble with doing some part of work, like more complicated events, riddles, ect.)

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
It almost sounds like you're asking us to create your scenario for you. tongue

Anyway, at least use a spell-checker?

what spell-checker?

yhm, maybe it sounds so. But im rather asking you for:-opinions about idea of scenario like that (with orcs...)
-your ideas, better or worse, but surely different that I could have (and, thus, maybe some which I'd love to use? who knows?)
-opinions about graphics i've made, or suggestions which graphics could i use, and what site i would get em.
-ideas for plot, sub-plot, ect
(example: I dont think "another Rentar plague on valorim" would be interesting, but... someone may think different.
-opinions of possibile locations where we would fight orcs - in unstabilized continent of valorim, in the birthplace of empire, military strong area but still too weak to get rid of orcs, or maybe in some remote lands far away from mainland of empire?? or maybe even in orcish homelands beyond some dark portal??
-someone to say "aew, it sux! make chicken plague instead, coz orcs werent in exile, and they just dont fit!!!111oneone"
-or for many other reasons

Originally Posted By: Outkast Artemis
I'm all for plauge. smile

As there is not many different possibilities? Oh, maybe "humans plaguing orc lands" instead of "orcs plaguing human world".

But I think of somethin better and "deeper" than just a butchery like in E3 - treat from orcs lies not in destroying well defended towns, but mainly in destruction of farms outside of towns, killing undefended villagers working on field, ect. which cause in food shortage and famine... which may be evaded (for some time) by transporting food to towns under siege (like in scenario "za-khazi run"), or by giving your own food. It may be ended by destroyin major orc settlements, or somethin like that...

ok, enough of f...in about possibile details tongue , it's just idea, before i start working, i just want to know what to do - things what i would do without any advices, or something bit different? laugh

the graphics i made are mostly undone yet, but there is few done graphics of possibile orcs (mostly re-coloured troglos, which seemed, as for me, like orcs, but red...)
http://img5.imageshack.us/i/orcgraphic.png/
comment please, even if you'd say that "it sux" (but explain what sux, because it could be my dirty socks" :D:D

Originally Posted By: Necrophilius
It almost sounds like you're asking us to create your scenario for you. tongue

Anyway, at least use a spell-checker?

what spell-checker?
I'll answer this question with a question, so that I may better answer it properly.

Are you using Windows or Mac, and what browser are you using?

Well, unfortunately Windows does not have a built-in spell checker like Mac does. However, Firefox does have a built-in spell checker. I think it's off by default though.

So yes, Firefox should be able to help with the misspellings. smile You could also try Word for non-forum stuff (such as scenario text). If you don't have Word, there are free alternatives available (such as OpenOffice).

Make a template: create a square in some colour, 28 pixels wide by 36 pixels tall. Then add a second square right beside it in a different (contrasting) colour, for another 28 pixels in width. Now, duplicate this five times horizontally to make full row, and then as many times as you want vertically.

The lines between the two colours will let you see where the edges of graphics are.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
If it's a monster or an item, it won't be covered up, as they usually don't take up an entire tile. The wand tool and painting it off is pretty much how it has to be done. It's not hard, though.

it sounds easy, but de facto, it's a bit more messy. I tried it that way. And... for example, drake and deep beast - they have white "holes" which fill with colours that i have to remove manually... it's bad idea...

The better one is to remove color squares (slots) just before i put creature into.

Men, thanks for technical help with graphic.
Now, another question... Is it ok to ise someone else graphic in my scenario? I would use floor graphic from Creators Revenge/isle of boredoom, as IMO they fit perfectly "orcish wastelands" laugh
But I dont want do somethin which would be considered as unfair or else...

You can use the graphics long as you credit the person who made them (in this case Stephen Ashby, I think, check the readme) somewhere visible in the scenario package (in the scenario itself or in a text file or something).

EDIT: I know Creator was pretending to be one person at that time, but I have a vague recollection that Stephen was specifically credited with the graphics. I might be thinking of something else though. If it doesn't say, just say The Creator.

is there any possibile way to make that think:

When i use special item, it drains X amount of mana, and makes YYY effect. But when im out of mana, it doesn't work.

Is it possible? I know how to make item drain mana and else, but dunno if there is possibility to disable use of item when there is too less mana???

uhm... so Ill use alternative way of it. Limited use is rather bad idea for "spell", but good for else.

I think, just draining mana and "time limit" (unable to use "special item" until XX time passes from last use)

and, another question.

About skribbane drug - is it ever possible to make this as normal, non-special item? I havent seen that ability, or i have missed it somewhere...

Just tell me, if it is possible, and how tongue

in special item, i think i know what to do to replicate its effect (but not so exactly)

question 2 : is it possible to make character have more hp than 250, and more mana than 150? (by special item effects, but not mindduel...)

When i use special item, it drains X amount of mana, and makes YYY effect. But when im out of mana, it doesn't work.

Is it possible? I know how to make item drain mana and else, but dunno if there is possibility to disable use of item when there is too few mana???

Like Celtic Minstrel said there's no way to check PC spell points (or health, or level, ...) and object can't call specials.
There has been some suggestions of making a "Check statistic" node and to allow items to call specials, but that has not been implemented yet (that wouldn't hard, i think ...).
A possible workaround for now would be to use "virtual" mana points using a SDF. I'm pretty sure that has already been used and worked (Alcritas ?).

About skribbane drug - is it ever possible to make this as normal, non-special item? I havent seen that ability, or i have missed it somewhere...[...]
It gave more hp i think, and more SP, at the moment of usage. Then, it addicted party, without any good effects of takin it (except of avoiding of bad effect)

Until normal items can call specials, i would say no.

is it possible to make character have more hp than 250, and more mana than 150? (by special item effects, but not mindduel...)

Concerning Spell Points, there's a check in the code to prevent the max_sp to become greater then 150 when training. (and the restore_sp function does allow SP to become greater then the max).
Specials also have such a check (health and SP no greater then the max).
Mindduel bypass any check by increase the SP directly.

Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

Edit :
It will probably become possible once the new scenario format is created, but that may not be for a while.

I don't think we would need the new scenario format for this, or am i missing something ? confused

Originally Posted By: Chokboyz
Edit :
It will probably become possible once the new scenario format is created, but that may not be for a while.

I don't think we would need the new scenario format for this, or am i missing something ? confused
We can implement it all we like, but until there's a place to store it in the scenario file we can't really make a scenario using it.

We can implement it all we like, but until there's a place to store it in the scenario file we can't really make a scenario using it.

But do we need the new scenario format to do this ? As far as i can tell, it would be as simple as writing a new case in special handling functions (giving those new nodes their own number, as there's place for it). confused
The new scenario format may handled the special nodes differently, though. smile

Chokboyz

In Chokboyz's Windows release(...)

what is it? you mean, blades of exile modification??

If you'd say yes- another question:
When i put MY OWN icon into scenario, using that modification, will ppl without this modification playin my scenario be able to see MY icon? or not? tongue

what is it? you mean, blades of exile modification??

If you'd say yes- another question:
When i put MY OWN icon into scenario, using that modification, will ppl without this modification playin my scenario be able to see MY icon? or not?

Not much a modification than an upgrade : mostly it has been bug fixing and porting to modern OS.
The planned version, using new structures format, will features more in deep modifications.

Concerning your question, the function being implemented in Classic BoE Beta 2, it is as ADoS said : people won't be able to see it (more it will display some oddness, like the trick right below) if not using recent versions (for now : Classic BoE, Mac/Linux equivalent).

There are some weird tricks that can be done in the original BoE involving distorted standard item graphics, although it's not to any great effect. I forget how to do it, anyway.

The trick is to overflow the unsigned char used to check the stored variable by using value 256 + x, with 0 =< x =< 30 (if i remember correctly). The effect would be a standard item graphic displayed on top of whatever was previously in the case.

On the coding side, i've implemented a new item ability (Call Scenario Special) under the Non-Spell Use category (technical note : the number of this new special is 95).
It (surprisingly) call a Scenario Special Node (specified by the ability strength field) when the item is used. If the number of charge is 0, the item can be used at will (e.g a book); if a number of charge is set, then using the item takes one charge.

Chokboyz

The ONLY way to trigger a Stairway node and have it successfully move the party to a different town is to have the party step onto a terrain space, while in town mode. You can't call it in dialogue, from a timer, by looking, or anything else. You must step onto it in town mode or it doesn't work.

That is changing now, but for classic BoE that's the way it is.

As a workaround, you could use a Portal special to teleport them to some place in the level where the only place to move is the stairway node that puts them in a new town.

Assuming Portal specials will work when talking...

Or another way you could do it is like this:

• When talking, he tells you to step into the portal that he has created. The response calls a special node that changes an ordinary cave floor (or indoor floor) space nearby into a portal.
  • On the place that the above special will place a portal, put a special node that checks to see if the space is a portal, and if it is, call a Stairway node to move them.

Does that make sense?

• [*]When talking, he tells you to step into the portal that he has created. The response calls a special node that changes an ordinary cave floor (or indoor floor) space nearby into a portal.

Does that make sense?

I think not... The character who will "teleport" party, is non-mage. He is just guide who leads party into another dungeon, so creating a portal is bad idea...

but... hm. One non-accesible square in town, which will "stairway" party into the second town? And when party talk to that guy, he will "teleport" party on that unaccesible square in the same town, making it teleported into the proper town??

I think not... The character who will "teleport" party, is non-mage. He is just guide who leads party into another dungeon, so creating a portal is bad idea...
Okay so you can use the sam basic idea, but instead of making a portal, make a door or a stairway. Or even a trapdoor.

but... hm. One non-accesible square in town, which will "stairway" party into the second town? And when party talk to that guy, he will "teleport" party on that unaccesible square in the same town, making it teleported into the proper town??
Almost. You need two adjacent inaccessible spaces – one to teleport to and one that's a stairway.

Almost. You need two adjacent inaccessible spaces – one to teleport to and one that's a stairway.

isn't it possibile with ONE inaccesible space? I mean, for example, x=5 y=6

Teleport is set to: x5 y6
and on x5 y6, where teleport leads, is a stairway...

I ask that, because i want to move party into dungeon immediately after the conversation with npc (or, after he agrees to take the party for a hunt)

isn't it possibile with ONE inaccesible space? I mean, for example, x=5 y=6

Teleport is set to: x5 y6
and on x5 y6, where teleport leads, is a stairway...

No. The party has to actually step on the space with the Stairway node. That means the player has to walk onto it on their own, not be teleported there. There's no workaround for this.

ok, another question. How to make a room description that work only one time, and no more?

I used "One-Time Text Message", but its not working ;/

Did you fill the two Stuff Done Flag fields of the "One-Time Text Message" node with some value (i.e not leaving them at -1) ?
If not, that's the problem (and being familiar with SDF is a good idea to make a scenario wink ).

Chokboyz

Also, don't use Stuff Done Flag (0,0). It's buggy. I think it's been fixed in OBoE, though it's probably best not to mess with it until there's a good, stable release of OBoE.

What bug was that causing ? I don't think i've encountered something like that, so it may always be lurking there confused

Chokboyz

Edit: Ok, i've modified the Stairway node so that it can be called anytime (except combat mode, but i can implement it if needed : it would end the combat mode then move the party).
If the Stairway node is called while talking, if the player select "leave" in the "Climb ?" dialog, then the strings specified in the talking node are displayed. If the player select "climb" or the node is forced (ex1b set to 1), then the talk ends and the party is moved.

A compatibility switch controls the behavior for now, but in the end, i think the scenario format version will be checked smile

ok so I'll make list of already used flags

3 questions:

1) Can I use one flag multiple times? For example, my flag 1,0 will be "special spell" flag, and from this will depend if certain monster will cast special spells or not.

And as it is basically set as 0, I would change it again to 0, after party leave town... just to have this flag for further use. ??

2) how many flags are possible to use?

3) is there any good tutorial how those flags works and what cool things i can do with em?

ok so I'll make list of already used flags

If you're using the vanilla (i.e original) scenario editor, then i think that's the only way to know what SDF is used smile

1) Can I use one flag multiple times? For example, my flag 1,0 will be "special spell" flag, and from this will depend if certain monster will cast special spells or not.
And as it is basically set as 0, I would change it again to 0, after party leave town... just to have this flag for further use. ??

You can, but you had better be sure of what you're doing as mixing up SDF is pretty easy (for instance, even Jeff does that in the game code smile ).
Worse, some SDF (those used for One-Time something) are set once and for all (any special with the same SDF will not be created in town or desactivated outdoor).
Given the number of SDF, i'd recommend using separate SDF if possible ...

2) how many flags are possible to use?

300 * 10 = 3000

is there any good tutorial how those flags works and what cool things i can do with em?

Maybe somewhere in the help file. The best way is to experiment and study other works, though.

Hope it helps,
Chokboyz

Edit : i've finally corrected the resting functions so that event timers are taken into account when resting outdoor/in inn (also check the diseased item possible infection and shop changing stocks). No increased health or whatever is given, only timed specials are checked (scenario timers if outdoor, scenario/current_town timers if in town).
I didn't add a check for the "Change Time" Node because i don't think it need one (it is about changing current time (party.age + or - the value), not passing time).
(once again it's a compatibility switch, but will surely evolve in a scenario make version check)
Unfortunately, the "Have a rest node" is a problem since it can be called in the middle of a node chain (what to do, if a timed event happens then ? break the node chain ? "stack" the events ? (not a good idea in my opinion) ). Then again, you can leave it in state and document the possible timer breaking smile