Strange Graphics Issue

Hey,

I'm having a kinda peculiar graphics issue- the graphics work for some of the custom graphics I have, but not others. And I can't for the life of me figure out why this is, since they all come up fine in the 3D editor.

If anyone recognises this, please let me know;

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/Micael456/cryspics.png

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/Micael456/artapics.png

Thanks!

- Archmagus Micael

Yeah that's what I thought, especially as it works perfectly in the editor.

These are the code chunks for the ones that don't work:

Code:
begindefinecreature 107; //Artamon	import = 5;	cr_name = "Artamon";	cr_which_sheet = 5006;	cr_level = 20;begindefinecreature 179; //Three New Goblins	import = 36;	cr_name = "Goblin Shaman";	cr_level = 7;	cr_which_sheet = 5009;begindefinecreature 180;		import = 37;	cr_name = "Goblin Shaman";	cr_level = 7;	cr_which_sheet = 5009;	cr_icon_adjust = 1;begindefinecreature 181;	import = 21;	cr_name = "Goblin Slinger";	cr_level = 3;	cr_which_sheet = 5010;	cr_start_item 0 = 314;	cr_start_item_chance 0 = 100;	cr_start_item 1 = 2;	cr_start_item_chance 0 = 36;	cr_start_item 2 = 45;	cr_start_item_chance 0 = 79;begindefineterrain 358; //Blood Splatters	import = 196;	te_which_sheet = 5008;	te_which_icon = 0;	te_ed_which_sheet = 5004;	te_ed_which_icon = 8;	te_icon_offset_x = -1;	te_icon_offset_y = -6;	begindefineterrain 359;	import = 358;	te_which_icon = 1;	te_ed_which_icon = 9;begindefineterrain 271; // Runes	import = 270;	te_name = "Rune";	te_which_sheet = 5002;	te_which_icon = 2;	te_anim_steps = 0;	te_ed_which_sheet = 5004;	te_ed_which_icon = 2;	te_swap_terrain = 270;begindefineterrain 287;	import = 271;	te_name = "Protective Rune";	te_which_icon = 0;	te_anim_steps = 0;	te_ed_which_icon = 0;	te_swap_terrain = 288;	te_default_script = "rune";		begindefineterrain 288;	import = 287;	te_which_icon = 1;	te_ed_which_icon = 1;	te_swap_terrain = 287;		begindefineterrain 297;	te_name = "Rune";	import = 271;	te_which_icon = 5;	te_ed_which_icon = 5;begindefinefloor 93;	import = 95;	fl_name= "Rune";	fl_which_sheet = 5005;	fl_which_icon = 0;	fl_ed_which_sheet = 5004;	fl_ed_which_icon = 6;	fl_light_radius = 3;

However, these ones haven't presented me so much as a glimmer of an issue:

Code:
begindefinecreature 108; //Artisans	import = 1;	cr_name = "Builder";	cr_which_sheet = 5007;begindefinecreature 109;	import = 108;	cr_name = "Butcher";	cr_icon_adjust = 5;begindefinecreature 110;	import = 108;	cr_name = "Baker";	cr_icon_adjust = 15;begindefineterrain 176; //Paintings	import = 182;	te_name = "Painting";	te_which_sheet = 5002;	te_ed_which_sheet = 5004;	te_which_icon = 3;	te_anim_steps = 0;	te_ed_which_icon = 3;begindefineterrain 177;	import = 183;	te_name = "Painting";	te_which_sheet = 5002;	te_ed_which_sheet = 5004;	te_which_icon = 4;	te_anim_steps = 0;	te_ed_which_icon = 4;

There are a few others I haven't gotten round to linking up the towns with yet, so not sure if they work because the editor doesn't seem to pick up these graphic issues.

But yeah, I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this before, and don't have a clue what's causing the problems (apart from obviously something painfully obvious I'm missing somewhere).

- Archmagus Micael

Just checked Artamon's and they're the same size, and he's the first one I noticed the bug with.

And I just found the problem I think. I changed Artamon's sheet number down to 506 and renamed the corresponding bitmap, and he works fine now. I guess it serves me right for using numbers in the 5000 range.

On the bright side I know what the problem is- though I can't for the life of me understand why it affects some graphics and not others.

Update: Yep, can happily confirm that was the problem. Changed all the other graphics into the 500 range and there wasn't a problem. Serves me right for being lazy I guess (I was incorporating parts from VoDT and didn't want to change all the graphics names, so just put mine into the 5k range).

- Archmagus Micael

The low 5000s is the skill illustrations. As an example, your blood spatter came out as the left edge of the cook's hat from the Hardiness illustration. The 5000 range graphics work in the editor because it doesn't know about skills or illustrations for same, and so it happily loads and uses your graphics. The game has already loaded the built-in graphics, so it refuses to load yours. (If you had done this with the mac version, your graphics would probably have replaced the built-in ones, making the training screen look rather odd, but your terrains and so forth appear as you had intended. Fun, no?)