Where are Geneforge 5's settings stored?

xxxxme

I'm running Geneforge 5 (Windows version 1.0.2) on Linux under wine. It ran fine until I chose to have the screen resolution saved. Now it starts up with a black screen and no sound.

According to appdb.winehq.org, other people have had this problem. The workaround is not to save the resolution setting. Where are Geneforge 5's settings stored? I can't change them in the game, as I can't start it up.

No, rebooting doesn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program apparently doesn't get rid of the settings, either. I've deleted the Spiderweb Software folder where I told wine "My Documents" was, but this also did not take care of it.

I can see from my hard drive search results that that's how they did it in 1-3. I have 4 installed as well, though, and don't see a .dat file that looks like it's related to either that or Geneforge 5.

On the other hand, the only things related to Geneforge 5 that I found in the registry are for the uninstaller. I guess if I have to, I can just create a new wine folder and move everything I have installed under wine there. When I tried that with just Geneforge 5 earlier, I was asked what resolution to use at startup.

Removing that file doesn't seem to help, though. Let me see if I can make it clear what happens, for those who don't know anything about wine:

When I install a Windows program using wine, it is installed to "/home/xxxxme/.wine/drive_c/Program Files" (by default, Geneforge 5 would be installed in "/home/xxxxme/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Spiderweb Software/Geneforge 5").

The "registry" is in the files "/home/xxxxme/.wine/*.reg".

wine puts things for "My Documents" in "/home/xxxxme/.wine/drive_c/Documents" (this is custom).

I've deleted the whole Spiderweb Software directory (I hadn't any saved games yet) from "My Documents", yet Geneforge 5 still doesn't ask me what resolution to use when I start it.

When I rename my "/home/xxxxme/.wine" directory, make a new one, and install Geneforge 5 there (like installing it again after reinstalling Windows, if I were using Windows), I -am- asked what resolution to use when I start it.

The problem with just using a new .wine directory for Geneforge 5, though, is that I have other things installed with wine, in the old directory, that I want to keep, and don't really want to reinstall all of them.