Creating a list of Articles

Acky

I would like to create a centralized source for all articles ever written for BoA (something like the Designer's Forum at the Lycuem, just for BoA. The list of Articles on Spiderweb isn't quite complete. I intend to host it on my site.

Here are the Articles that I have

1. It's all about size by Jeff Vogel

2. What about Shareware fees by Jeff Vogel

3. Common Mistakes by Jeff Vogel

4. You shall not pass! by Jeff Vogel

5. Tips for Creating Challenging Monsters by Drakefyre

6. Why? by Drakefyre

7. Player vs. Party by The Creator

8. Choices and Linearity by Drakefyre

9. Creating Compelling Characters by The Creator

10. Basic But Vital Tips by Terror's Martyr

11. Bob By The Creator

12. Building the Basic Quest by Jeff Vogel

13. Useful Dialogue Tips By Isaac

14. The Responsive World By Drakefyre

15. Designing a Quality Town By Drakefyre

16. Good Bad Guys By The Creator

17. Hey! What did you do that for? By The Creator

18. A General Item Overview By Drakefyre

19. Don't Draw Focus! By The Creator

20. Filler By The Creator

21. Follow the Yellow Brick Road By Terror's Martyr

22. High Level Scenarios By Kelandon

23. Cutscenes: A Tutorial by Kelandon

24. Your First Scenario by The Creator

25. Building Blocks for a Scenario by The Creator

26. Ten Dread Diseases of Scenarios by The Creator

27. Playing Scenario's Critically by Terrors Martyr

28. Karma, Dharma and Somesuch By Terror's Martyr

29. Creating An Atmosphere by Vent

30. The Challenge Pits By Stareye (*i)

31. Rollick by Thuryl

32. Dice, Random Numbers, and Statistics for BoA Designers by Stareye (*i)

33. Article: Basic Scripting For Complete Beginners by Kelandon

I'm posting this because it is quite possible that I am missing some. So please, if you are aware of any articles that I am missing, please post a link of send it or send me a copy via Email at ackrovan@gmail.com

The Great Archon

Hey, thanks for doing this. I don't know if you need to host the ones that are already hosted on spiderwebsoftware.com, but it's great that you're hosting the ones that are buried in the forums here ('Rollick', 'Karma', 'Playing Critically', etc.), especially as they could be purged some time in the future.

Offhand, I can't think of any that you're missing. Maybe check the Shadow Vale forums as well.

Most of the earlier articles, like Neimand said, cover common sense, which is both BoE and BoA rather than just BoA. Particularly the ones about plot, since it obviously doesn't matter the game a story is told in. The later ones, on the other hand, talk more about designing and the actual creation of a scenario, which is equally useful.

After rereading 5 and 15, I can conclude that they are still useful. 15 in particular, since it says things that are again, common sense, such as questioning whether or not a town has anything to do with the plot, or if it is just for the hell of it. I've read all of these. Trust me; their all worth reading.

As for Jeff's articles, I would suppose they are only as useful as one's opinion of Jeff is.

The Great Archon

Originally Posted By: Squee and Beautiful Dumb Smile
Are these all relevant? I just notice that the first twenty articles, with one or two exceptions, were either written by Jeff, or by people who have only designed for BoE.

To those of us who actually design for BoA, the lessons are applicable, yes. Kudos for the service to the community, Ackrovan.

Looks much better. Eventually if you feel like taking the time you might turn the raw text documents into HTML pages so that they can look a little nicer and have things like navigation links, but it's perfectly functional as it now stands.

One nit-picky point though: Some of the article links are getting up onto the previous link's line. Glancing at your source code shows that each of these is preceded by a peculiar bunch of   entities; I'm not sure how that happened or what you might have been trying to do there. Anyway, an ordered list (<ol>) might suit your purposes well.

Although there are no meta tags to indicate it, I suspect he has used some kind of GUI HTML editor to create the page. Comments like "<!-- ParagraphStart 399201637 -->" are rather suspicious – I doubt a human would include them.

There are other (unnoticeable without checking the source) things that are silly, for example stuff like "<div class='xxx'><p>" instead of just <p class='xxx'>".

I'm probably out of my league here. All I did was press Space until the link was sent down one line of text (I have no idea if that's proper terminology). This was because pressing enter sends it down *two* lines of text. In retrospect, it probably would look better if I just press enter. Excuse me a moment.

The Great Archon

I'll look into that. But I don't believe it's a feature that the Freewebs website builder has.

Also, would it be all right if this would be added to the forum header? (not this one, the Editor forums header) It'd be more useful if a new designer could see if right off the bat rather than have it on an obscure website.

The Great Archon