Exile trilogy and Vista

Fooblepie

Sss-Chah, the CD doesn't automatically install it for me on Vista, that was the only problem I had.

First make sure you're logged in as an admin, and then open up the CD and run the install files manually.

Also, after the game has installed, right click on each shortcut, go to Properties and then the Compatibility mode, and make sure you check off each to run in Compatibility mode with Windows XP.

Also, make sure you install it somewhere other than the Program Files folder. Create a new folder in the root directory of your hard drive (C:/ instead of C:/Program Files for instance), name it Games or whatever you want, and install the games in there (C:/Games/Avernum 3/ for example). This gets around Vista's finickiness over changing files in the Program Files directory.

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
run the install files manually.
yeah, i guess that'd probably work. it was pretty much a combination of me being too lazy and not really caring enough to try that. i guess i could give it a whirl the next time i get the urge to play, though. thanks, both of you.

When I run the installer (the zipped up version) I get the error "This version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers system information to see whether you need a 32 or 64 bit version of the program then contact the software publisher."

I have 64 bit Vista so I assume that is the problem, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Basilisk and Virtualbox both run on Windows, but I believe you have to provide the operating system as well. And yes, they should run anything that requires, say, System 7 or older. (Okay, for Basilisk II you can run up to 8.1)

—Alorael, who has no idea if old Mac OS versions are freely available. He suspects that they are, in theory, still proprietary software for which one must pay.

Originally Posted By: NERPS for Alorael
—Alorael, who has no idea if old Mac OS versions are freely available. He suspects that they are, in theory, still proprietary software for which one must pay.

Apple does offer some old versions of its system software for free on its website, or at least it used to.

I went to the beginner's guide of basilik II and downloaded it. Then I unzipped the folder into C drive. At this point, I'm lost because I don't know how to get rom Mac file or where exactly I should put the .sys file. The instruction is for window NT and mine is Vista. Is service pack1 different greatly from pack2? I just assume that my window update would eventually update to pack2 automatically or is it something must be done manually?

I'd appreciate some help very much because I would really like to play the blade games.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 5anchalee
I went to the beginner's guide of basilik II and downloaded it. Then I unzipped the folder into C drive. At this point, I'm lost because I don't know how to get rom Mac file or where exactly I should put the .sys file.

The only strictly legal way to get a Macintosh ROM file is to copy one from a Macintosh that you actually own (and even that's a little dubious), so we can't really help you with that.

Has anyone tried Virtualbox with Vista64? I think I will go with it instead of Basilik just because the instructions seem clearer.
I just checked the VirtualBox website; 64-bit Vista is listed as one of the supported host operating systems. My system is only 32-bit, and it works great. You may want to double-check the documentation, just to be sure.

I had no clue with Basilisk either; it seemed way too technincal for my liking, worse than another emulator (called "Bochs") that I found before VirtualBox. Then again, the best one for anyone to use is probably the one you understand the best.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Has anyone tried Virtualbox with Vista64? I think I will go with it instead of Basilik just because the instructions seem clearer.
I just checked the VirtualBox website; 64-bit Vista is listed as one of the supported host operating systems. My system is only 32-bit, and it works great. You may want to double-check the documentation, just to be sure.

Can you help guiding me then? I did download Virtual Box and set up a drive but didn't have XP OS system copy at the time (Is that downloadable from the site or do I need to buy it somewhere?) so I had to uninstall the program just to be on the safe side. Would downloading this program hurt the speed or memory of the pc? I am not comfortable tinkering with the system on my own. The Mystic, it would be great if you can tell me what to do step by step. Thanks ahead.

Originally Posted By: Fooblepie
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and nothing came up.

Is there ANY way to get Exile 1-3 to work on Vista? I love the games and I don't enjoy the Avernum series half as much and it would be fantastic if I could find a way to play them on my Vista pc.

Being a Linux user, I play Exile 1-3 via Dosbox running Windows 3.1. If you have a spare windows 3.1 disc laying around you can install it through dosbox with this guide. I have windows 3.1 set to 256 colors and 800x600 and the game works great. Avoid 16-bit color even though Dosbox supports it, its very buggy and not worth it at this point. If you set this up you pretty much have Exile cross platform; another possibility is virtualbox since Exile needs no 3D acceleration.

Originally Posted By: Sinner
I have windows 3.1 set to 256 colors and 800x600 and the game works great. Avoid 16-bit color even though Dosbox supports it, its very buggy and not worth it at this point.

It's especially not worth it for Exile, since the Exile series only has 256-colour graphics anyway.

I did download Virtual Box and set up a drive but didn't have XP OS system copy at the time (Is that downloadable from the site or do I need to buy it somewhere?) so I had to uninstall the program just to be on the safe side. Would downloading this program hurt the speed or memory of the pc? I am not comfortable tinkering with the system on my own. The Mystic, it would be great if you can tell me what to do step by step. Thanks ahead.
Creating a virtual machine in VirtualBox is simple, but can be a rather lengthy process. First, you need the following:
Click to reveal..
  • VirtualBox (obviously)
  • a copy of the OS you want to virtualize, preferably purchased (and therefore legal); this is the "guest OS," and the OS on your physical computer (the "host computer" or "host system") is the "host OS"
  • enough free space on your physical hard drive to create the size virtual drive you want (e.g. If you want to create a 20GB virtual drive, your computer's hard drive needs to have at least 20GB free space.)
  • enough memory to give from the host OS to the guest OS; the more memory you give to the guest, the less there is available to the host when the guest is running.

Then, to create the virtual machine:
Click to reveal..
  • Run VirtualBox, and click "New" to begin setting up the virtual machine.
  • Make up a name for the virtual machine, and select an operating system and version. The defaults are "Microsoft Windows" for the operating system, and "Windows XP" for the version.
  • Select a base memory size for the virtual machine. If you're not sure how much to select, just use the recommended amount; you can always change it later in the settings.
  • If you already have a virtual hard drive set up, you can select "Use existing hard disk" and select it from the list; if not, select "Create new hard disk" and follow the instructions in the "Create new virtual disk" wizard.
  • When you're done, click "Finish."
Finally, you'll need to install the guest OS on the virtual computer. To do this, make sure the CD or ISO file is mounted in the virtual machine's CD drive, start the virtual machine, and follow the instructions.

As your question about speed and memory: VirtualBox by itself really has no noticeable impact on your computer. However, when you have a virtual machine running, the amount of memory you selected for it is unavailable on the host computer until you shut down the virtual machine; this may slow down your computer a bit, depending on your system configuration.

• 1 month later...