Avernum 1: Is this a bug?

jimbob

Alright, so I was in the nephilim fortress and accidentally targeted a cat with my archer. The cat obviously died, but my reputation did not go down. I thought that it was supposed to ask you if you were sure you wanted to attack, since the cat was not hostile. Thanks to everyone who answers!

I had this "problem" when I was doing this fortress yesterday. All I can assume is that the cat is a neutral creature, and that A1 handles neutral creatures differently to the later games.

It's not a bug, and it's not going to miss up your game - and, for me at least, targeting other friendly characters does bring up the dialog asking if you're sure.

Jeff has a few places where you can attack neutral creatures without affecting the game. It might make the place hostile, but except for a prisoner downstairs there isn't anyone that isn't already hostile.

There is a similar thing in a slith place with killing stray lizards.

Actually, if you target the cat with a melee attack or a spell, it does ask if you want to do it, and your reputation does go down if you attack. This is not the case with a bow. It does not even ask if you want to attack, you just shoot and the cat dies, with no reputation loss.