Most Annoying

Al;right, here's a poll for some fun... which area did you find the most annoying area in the entire game?

In my case, it was Shath's Wastes in G2. I'm a guardian, and I pride myself on getting through the game without losing a single creation. Imagine my annoyance when the two weaker creations I had would be turned, or killed by turned creations, causing me to have to restart again and again and again. Add in AI that has me yell "GET BACK HERE!" and... well, I found myself frustrated.

On Easy.

Western Okavano isn't bad with sufficient daze to keep the swarming worms from moving around and attacking.

I thought Lerman's Pass was worse with the essence pools that slowed and the worms being resistant to most damage types other than physical. That's before you deal with Talis-Eye and the Unbound.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba doesn't know whether it's the worst zone in the entire series, but the Western Okavano zone has to be the absolute worst in G5. The sheer number of worms coupled with an extremely weak curing spell makes it pure tedium when you have several creations.

As has already been mentioned, Daze works wonders. Just Daze the worms and target the spawner. If you're playing a warrior character, that might not be a viable option. As a warrior, I waited until I was level 30 before wiping out those spawners. There was no hurry, since it was still pretty easy to access the Trakovite Haven without clearing that particular zone (it takes about 10 seconds to cross).

I play as a shock trooper, so no daze for me.

The worms weren't really the issue, though it didn't help that they're numerous and, well, bland. It was the necessity of casting the curing spell twice (and occasionally three times) any time I needed to get rid of poison/acid, especially since my other healing craft spells worked well enough. The worms were just a horrible, horrible source of poison. Given that I like to send everyone to the front lines, I was casting the curing spell 6 or 8 times after every major encounter. That just gets old fast.

Dikiyoba.

I don't know whether this is going to stay the most annoying area for me, given as I've only played G1 (not finished yet) but I'm going through the Mines sections right now, and oh my god I hate pylons.

Plus there's lava blocks that burn my party horribly. And the pylons spew acid/poison damage at you.

Trying to keep my creations and me alive is pretty hard, I have to cast heal and I'm using up curing pods like crazy.

Methinks I should have finished the whole bottom area before trying to attempt to get through the mountains. frown

The mine zones get much easier if you can get to the servant mind in the central zone. (He probably needs mind nutrients, since most minds do in this game.) He can make the pylons stop attacking you in the central zone plus one other zone at a time. It does mean that you have to keep returning to the mind, but having the mind inactivate the pylons in a zone is what finally clears them, so at least it becomes slightly easier to move around.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
Why didn't you just use curing pods/spores? I horde them for that very reason.

Well, it was Dikiyoba's first playthrough and Dikiyoba very, very rarely uses items, so Dikiyoba didn't have any on Dikiyoba and running back to get them would have also been annoying. The next playthrough Dikiyoba will but, bleh, Dikiyoba is not looking forward to hacking through all those worms again.

I suppose for me it was the Demonic Depot in G2. I didn't build my character very well, but I could get through most areas by wit, and by ambushing individual enemies. Turned out an individual rotgroth was more than capable of massacring me even by the endgame. (Yeah, I did a lot of sneaking around in the final areas.)

Mind you, I can't think of anything in the Geneforge series as tedious as some of the fights in Avernum 4, and even Avernum 4 was less tedious than, say, Final Fantasy IV. (Forget Chitrachs--Gatlingers must DIE!)

A4 indeed. 227 Chitrachs!!!!!

Feo: What in the world was tedious about FF4? Comparing Gatlingers to Chitrachs is spurious. Gatlingers appear only in a handful of random fight setups in a handful of areas. You can always run from said random fights and it's usually very easy to do. And you are not directed to explore an extensive cave system containing 227 Gatlingers, most of which it is hard to avoid fighting. Furthermore, there are lots of ways to 1-shot Gatlingers: most spells will do it, Yang with the right claw, and the Stone spell will take out a group in one hit for 15 MP. Chitrachs are hardy and obnoxious. There is really no comparison.

Originally Posted By: Ambignomoi
A4 indeed. 227 Chitrachs!!!!!

Feo: What in the world was tedious about FF4? Comparing Gatlingers to Chitrachs is spurious. Gatlingers appear only in a handful of random fight setups in a handful of areas. You can always run from said random fights and it's usually very easy to do. And you are not directed to explore an extensive cave system containing 227 Gatlingers, most of which it is hard to avoid fighting. Furthermore, there are lots of ways to 1-shot Gatlingers: most spells will do it, Yang with the right claw, and the Stone spell will take out a group in one hit for 15 MP. Chitrachs are hardy and obnoxious. There is really no comparison.

Gatlingers are simply the most irritating enemies I could think of offhand in FF4. As for why the game is tedious in general, I've never been fond of random encounters with endlessly respawning foes. I realize I'm in the minority, but I still say there's something peculiarly pointless about slaughtering one monster after another for the sake of levelling up, but knowing there'll be just as many monsters left when you're done. Of course, this is a feature of the entire FF series--FF4 is only more tedious because, at least in the GBA version, special attacks and spells take a very long time to power up, so most of the time you're better off mashing "attack" over and over and over . . . But anyways, chitrachs stay dead when killed, and bows and spells deal with them just as well as melee attacks.

Bows and spells deal with them a lot better than melee attacks since they don't trigger parry and riposte. Plus, it takes loads of spells to kill a chitrach on higher difficulties, not one spell as with Gatlingers. I'm sorry, the comparison is ridiculous.

You are playing FF4A, btw, not FF4; it's definitely lesser than the original, so don't implicate the original game in that grinding crap. I agree with you that grinding sucks, but that's an implication of the vast majority of the CRPG genre, not just the FF series. Actually, if you think about it, FF4 probably involves less grinding than any other game in the series.

Anyway, if you're gonna pick on an enemy pick on the friggin Cuars that abuse Blaster. They're much more annoying.

Originally Posted By: Ambignomoi
You are playing FF4A, btw, not FF4; it's definitely lesser than the original, so don't implicate the original game in that grinding crap.

I'm told that the European release of FF4A fixed a lot of the most serious bugs in the American and Japanese releases, not that that helps you very much at this point.

Really? I thought they were a variety of Chitrach since they look like chitrachs, move and attack like chitrachs, sound like chitrachs, usually appear with chitrachs, and are basically exactly the same as chitrachs except for the ability to neutralize any magic in an area around them, making a normally mildly annoying Chitrach battle into one that makes you want to stab something.