Saveing problem

Acky

I'm having some issues with saving. I've juszt opened a new scenario, was done with it, and then tried to save my progress. The games, however, is not letting me do it. Everytime I try to, its saying that I'm running into error 11. I'm running a windows vista. Anyone know what the deal is?

The Last Archon

If the problem is with the Scenario Editor alone, try using different versions of it. There is the official 2D Editor, the original Isaac Windows port and the 2009 version. If you still strike problems the Vista version of Windows Explorer may be creating write-protected scenarios, which can't be saved.

Official version can be found at:

ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/win/BoAEditor.zip

Isaac remake:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...lease_id=335107

Latest 2009 version:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/BoA3DEditor.zip

It turns out that I may have been wrong on that count: I had forgotten that the arbitrary error codes form the mac and Windows versions are completely unrelated to each other. i had looked through the Mac code, and it appear to not ever use that code; however, the Windows code does explicitly use code 11.

The reason is, in fact exactly as I described above: Error 11 is issued when the editor cannot open a temporary file for writing. The file it tries to create will be in the same directory, and will end with a 't' instead of an 's', as long as the current scenario file name did end with an 's', as it should. So this should only fail if:

-You are out of disk space (Not at all likely)

-The program does not have sufficient permission to write the file (quite likely, especially in light of problems others have reported with Vista)

This was why I suggested trying to save to other places. Given that that experiment was a bust and the new certainty of the meaning of error 11, I'm forced to conclude that this still isn't a problem internal to the editor, and thus not one I know how to do anything about.

Here's two problems/solutions that I had with Vista.

1. DO NO install BoA in the Program Files directory. Vista does not give anyone permission to alter those files, not even the administrator. It makes file management much bigger of a chore than it needs to be, so make a Game folder and install it in that.

2. Run BoA Editor as an administrator. Before I did this, when I tried to edit and save a scenario, Vista did not let me save and then erased the scenario folder.

Quote:
1. DO NO install BoA in the Program Files directory. Vista does not give anyone permission to alter those files, not even the administrator. It makes file management much bigger of a chore than it needs to be, so make a Game folder and install it in that.

Heh. Guess what I did.

Well, I don't know how to make a games folder, but nonetheless, thank you all for your help.

'Course, I'm not sure why you would want to help me. All you're really doing is assuring your own defeat.

Click to reveal..
I find the funniest thing about my competitive nature is that, since I'm the least experienced of all of you, save duck, I'll surely end up dead last.

The Last Archon