G3: Torment shaper build

I'm going to start a new build in geneforge 3 based on the broken vlish analysis. Compared to what the topic says, the game is extremely easy with a bunch of vlish, and shapers combined with vlish in geneforge 3 are so powerful, you rarely need buffs. I'm going to try a game like this, but what do I do first?

Huzzah! smile

The simple start:

1. Make a shaper. Put all your skill points into Magic Shaping, at least until you get to 10. After that put points into Intelligence.

2. Dash for the Testing Hall and obtain Create Artila. Make a bunch of Artila. They will be overpowered for the first island. You don't need to put points into Int, they will work fine without it.

3. But, don't do the entire first island, just dash for the required zones and move on to the second island.

4. There, dash for Create Vlish -- I forget where it is, but FAQs should help you out there. Absorb the artilas and make a bunch of Vlish. Again, no points into Int, you can add those later if you desire. I also recommend getting the Create Vlish canister on the island ASAP, and once you have enough essence, replace 2 or 3 Vlish with Terror Vlish. Terror Vlish don't terrorize in G3 but their missile attack is poison-based instead of magic-based, which is extremely useful against certain enemies, like Gazers.

Depending on how the numbers work out and how early you get Create Vlish, increasing Intelligence before you have 10 in Magic Shaping may be helpful if it allows you to create more than one vlish a level earlier than you would otherwise. (Remember, your creations get 3/4 of your XP with no scaling, ever, whatsoever, in G3.)

Well, I started out rough, but turned out good. I'm actually not going torment, as it seems to be impossible to get to the training grounds pumping only magic shaping, even with a fyora for backup. I also started out pumping leadership and mechanics, so I could get through the tests in the training grounds. Right now, I have 6 leadership, 8 mechanics, and 4 magic shaping. I also added a point in int so I had enough essence to add 2 points in int for both of my artilas. Now what should I do?

Head for the fort on the other side of the island using the middle route that has mechanic traps blocking your way. Do quests that emphasize your current stats of mechanics and leadership and avoid most combat encounters. Come back later to get the rest including the combat tests from the training grounds.

You can do the leadership, mechanics and stealth tests in the Training Grounds even on torment with your current build.

It's harder to avoid encounters and you fall behind on experience initially, but Slarty's plan has merit and should be possible. I don't know if you will gain enough levels to reach Magic Shaping of 10.

Gah!!! No leadership, no mechanics. There are ways to get through the tests without them. You can buy those points later, after you've gotten your shaping and Int up and created some vlish. You are literally shaving 7-8 experience levels off of all your creations, permanently, by using skill points that way.

Well, I started a new shaper, this time on torment. Like slartucker said, I'll get magic shaping to 10, then pump int. But how am I supposed to survive before I get to create artila? I need a lot of help, but this need should wear down soon when I get create artila.

Okay, I finally got create artila. The turrets in the first test in the training grounds were somehow easy, but the second one provided a great deal of challenge, and I probably couldn't beat it until I remembered my icy crystals and used five of them. I didn't even think of the thahd in the third combat test, as it could bless, shield, and even worst of all, heal itself, and with everyone except me and Greta dead and 5 out of 7 icy crystals already used in the cyora/fyora fight, my chances of defeating him was 0%. I sneaked past the thahd in the other test instead, which was the easiest part of the whole test. Right now, I have 2 artilas, one named Repellent and the other named Tape. They both have 6 in each stat, excluding the 2 points of int. I added to control them. I hit a crawler with a glob of acid from one of them, and it dealy 42 damage. I'll make an estimate and say the average damage per acid glob is 40, and with 2 artilas, that adds up to 80 damage per turn. I haven't checked melee damage yet, but I'll post that in a minute. Once I get speed and enough energy, essence, and blessing magic to cast on whatever number of vlish I'll have in the future, I'll be a magical damage powerhouse, with slowing and poison to boot. And then I'll get terror vlish, so I can hurt gazers and whatever else I come across that's magic-resistant. Now what do I do?

Well, thank you for the answers. Now I'm going to get leadership and mechanics up, as I already have magic shaping at 10, and should be able to survive a while with 2 vlish but really need more of those two stats, but start pumping int. right after I get them both to six, and maybe add a few points in magic to cast stronger spells. Is this a good plan?

No no no no no no. Nothing in leadership or mechanics yet. The game makes you THINK you need them, but really you don't. There are plenty of areas to explore where they are not required, and you will get plenty in them eventually. Pump Int so you can get a full complement of Vlish + Terror Vlish as soon as possible. There is no permanent loss (and no meaningful temporary loss) out of delaying leadership and mechanics; whereas delaying the essence required for one of your creations for a few levels, will result in the PERMANENT loss of several experience levels for that creation.

Okay, I'll admit it - I spent some points on mechanics. But it was actually a wise move, because with the 2 extra points, I had the exact number of living tools to unlock the door to get the general's sword. By the way, I'm on donald's isle right now, and actually took care of a pack of battle alphas and glahhks with my 7 vlish. However, this only happened once.

So you know, Slarty's strategy is extreme vlish level min-maxing. It's perfectly reasonable not to absurdly optimize vlishes, and the game is still quite possible without wringing those few final levels out.

—Alorael, who would like to remind you that this is a game and the point is having fun. Min-max to the extent that you enjoy a challenge now to make the game easier later. If it's not fun, put points where you want to; your game will work out.