Can creations pick up items?

In any game in the series, there's a circle around you in which you can pick up nearby items. In the third game, a similar circle extends around other party members, though items go to your inventory only. When you pick up an item that doesn't belong to you, the game checks to see whether you're within view of a friendly NPC--but it doesn't check on anyone else, so the "get" command will let you freely steal items in public view if a party member is by them and you're in hiding. Note that since you weren't expected to be able to do this, you can get access to items that were put out for aesthetic purposes and that you shouldn't actually have at the level you're at. (Incidentally, this doesn't work in the fourth game.)

Artilas probably spit and drool everywhere. The shopkeeper probably gives them whatever they dribble on rather than attempt to clean the mess up. The PC is just insanely dedicated. After all, if you're determined to clean up the mess taking place on the Ashen Isles, what's a little artila spittle on top of that?

Dikiyoba imagines stealing with rotghroths works much the same way, but with even more dedication to cleaning up the loot afterwards.

If a rotghroth loomed over something in my store I'd hand it over too.

—Alorael, who sees most of the upper-level creations as perfectly reasonable sources of extortion. It's the puny ones that need more explanation. Oh, sure, no shopkeeper will pick a fight with an artila, but as soon as the worm is out the door they should all go running to the local constabulary.

What, and complain that I was extorted by threat of drool? I'd feel a right fool.

That rhymes! Cool!

Somehow though I don't think I'd better indulge in too many hopes for getting rich as a rap star. I've heard there's more to it than this. Maybe if I busted a few caps, though. My small caps are pretty much busted already.