What Should I Play?

What's the forum's advice for me playing? I'm about halfway through A5, at the moment, and I'm really enjoying this, so i was wondering, what would you all advise me to play next?

I was considering playing one of the Exile ones, instead of the Avernum ones, but could someone educate me on the differences please?

Also, hello, and first post. =D

( E3/A3 sounds like the best idea, but I don't like the whole "forced to rush about" thing, if you complete the mainquest, do you still get to mess about in the world, or does the game end? Or, is there a point in the game where you don't need to rush anymore? )

If you by saying "playing next" mean that you will play the others later, I suggest starting with A1, then doing 2 and 3. It's not necessary to have played any other game to understand and enjoy any of them, but you miss out on some cool stuff if you don't follow the chronology.

If you just wanna play the one you'd like the most right now, there's more than enough threads around discussing what to like or dislike about all Spidweb games.

Originally Posted By: Devour
( E3/A3 sounds like the best idea, but I don't like the whole "forced to rush about" thing, if you complete the mainquest, do you still get to mess about in the world, or does the game end? Or, is there a point in the game where you don't need to rush anymore? )

The game ends, unfortunately, but the rushing isn't that bad. Towns do decay, but none of the quest-important characters actually disappear, so you can waste as much time as you like.

Rentar is not his she is her.

My choice is avernum 3 and a2? i need to play it myself.Sorry

welcome to forums devour.

Note that you are being welcomed by a member who is himself a new member.

Whenever someone talk about avernum 3 ending i start to feel a need of polling where you can choose your favourate character throughout the series.Is there any such thread?If yes add a link i want to go there and vote for erika.

But if there is not please someone start i just dont know how to create polling.

And i will be there to see who is second.

There have been plenty such threads, and as far as I recall Erika always won. Simply use the search function, might be a good exercise.

About the games: I have never experienced the feeling of being rushed playing A3. In fact, I don't even have the patience to sit around waiting to see the world change due to the plagues, even though that's quite fun.

Still, start with A1. It gives more depth to A2, which is like one of the best games ever!

There's nothing wrong with playing the Exile trilogy instead, either. You'll get used to the graphics, and the gameplay is fun, but more complicated than that of Avernum.

Start with A1 if you think you'll play through the series or just play the demo if money is a problem, but it's worth seeing the original form of Avernum. A2 is my favorite of the original trilogy.

Exile shows its age, especially E1 and E2. I prefer Avernum in general, and I definitely wouldn't be able to go back to engines older than E3's.

—Alorael, who thinks the trilogy is worth playing through in order. At the very least try the demos in order and skip games whose age makes you cringe. A1's lack of a quest list can do that.

I started with A3 and then mass downloaded all the spiderweb demos my computer could use. After finishing A1-3 I went to g1-3 on cds. then a4. I am planing to get Boa,A5,G4, and nethergate:r with some newfound money. If you have bought a5, I suggest either a1 or a2 then go from there finishing the avernum series. A1 would go from the start but its not as good a game as a2. A3 isnt a bad idea but its not as good (though close) as a2 and it doesnt have the orgins feeling to it.

Originally Posted By: Loneliest One

Exile shows its age, especially E1 and E2. I prefer Avernum in general, and I definitely wouldn't be able to go back to engines older than E3's.

This. I tried to replay E2 recently, and it was just much harder to get along with than A2.

Originally Posted By: Princess Gwaelin
Originally Posted By: Alorael

This. I tried to replay E2 recently, and it was just much harder to get along with than A2.

I hear that. I tried to replay E3 about a year ago, just because I was nostalgic and it was the first Spiderweb game I played, but I didn't get very far.

Personally, I started with A3. The graphics are nice enough and I acutally prefer them to the bulkier look of A4/5 and Geneforge.

I thought about playing older versions as well, but since I understand Avernum to be an Exile remake, I decided against it. Plus, with A3-5 there is already so much content that it should last you a long time. wink

Although the cutscene at the end of E3/A3 is rather nice. I miss being able to do other things after winning the game; I liked having the chance to receive my well-earned rewards after completing the final game-winning quest. Sometimes I'd even (usually unintentionally) leave a few odd things to do after I won.