The Perfect Quote

An apt summary of RPGs, but not especially pertinent to Geneforge.

"They may be wise, and virtuous, and ahead of their time. But history teaches us that those blessed with that sort of madness tend to end up dead. Proven right, but dead." —Litalia, G4

"In my eyes, once you were warped by the Geneforge, you became a creation. You fall under the control of the Shapers. To be commanded, or, if rogue, destroyed." Shaper Grim, G4

"Who has the courage to allow themselves to be rewritten, remade?" G1, Geneforge Handbook

Or, perhaps...

"You see before you the result of all of the labors, the ingenuity, the genius of Sucia Island. It is the great accomplishment of the Shapers here. It is the Geneforge.

It doesn't look like much." —G1

—Alorael, who thinks G1 probably has the best series quotes to summarize everything.

It's from a book in G1 left by the original Shapers. I don't think it had a name, but it's at least from G1.

—Alorael, who agrees that "you cannot unring a bell" sounds very philosophically significant. There's a reason it was put in the ending. It's central to the series, but it's mostly central to the backstory once you get past G1 or G2.

It's a metaphor. Literally, it says that you cannot undo something that has been done. That isn't deep, that's obvious. The phrasing is much more poetically striking, but deep it isn't.

—Alorael, who isn't even sure it holds up to examination. What would unringing a bell mean? The bell itself is unchanged by ringing. "You cannot take back a sound after it has been heard" would be more accurate, but of course it sounds quite stupid.

THOMASINA: When you stir your rice pudding, Septimus, the spoonful of jam spreads itself round making red trails like the picture of a meteor in my astronomical atlas. But if you backward, the jam will not come together again. Indeed, the pudding does not notice and continues to turn pink just as before. Do you think this is odd?

SEPTIMUS: No.

THOMASINA: Well, I do. You cannot stir things apart.