A1 Encumbrance

Really? I thought the whole series used Defense, but I haven't checked A1 anytime recently. Does it indicate that Strength reduces encumbrance anywhere?

—Alorael, who in fact knows that Strength didn't even do that in Nethergate. He'd be surprised if Jeff changed it and then changed it back.

OK, thanks.

On another topic, I seem to have a bug: A level 2 character with 8 skill pts to spend is unable to raise anything except Endurance, Melee, Bows, Thrown weapons, Tool Use, First Aid, and Luck. No other up arrows show. Considering that this is a Mage/Priest, that's a bit useless. Note that luck requires 4 points, more than a bunch of the things that are suddenly untrainable. What gives?

I had no such problems with a previous party.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Do you by any chance have very little money? Like, say, between 10 and 14 coins? I notice that the skills you can buy all cost <= 10 coins, and the ones you can't buy cost more than that. Just a thought.

blush

That must be it. I thought I'd be **smart** this time and buy up as much Barter as I could right at the start, so that's what I've been spending my gold on. And I'm used to BoA, where you don't pay to train.

Well, at least it's not a bug! Thanks.

Jeff changed the defense/hardiness affecting encumberance since in one case the rationale was armor affected encumberance so defense made armor less of a burden. and hardiness in the other made you better able to deal with heavy loads. Or maybe Jeff forgot which code he was using between games. smile

Originally Posted By: ResFury
It is smart to buy Barter as soon as you can. It leaves you poor in the short term but much richer over the course of the game.

—Alorael
I can testify to that. Once I've got all the Barter money can buy, I rarely have a shortage of cash under most circumstances. Also, you won't have to hunt for the best places to sell your goods.

Just out of curiosity, and not that I plan to do this, but has anyone ever pumped up Barter high enough to actually get face value? Or more?

After all, the adventuring life is not for everyone. You could make a decent living in Avernum gathering herbs and whatnot, and selling them for a hefty price to stay-at-home townies. tongue

I don't remember that limit anymore, but you hit it with your party's total Barter somewhat less than the amount a four-person party can acquire with coins alone. There's no reason to spend skill points for gold when you can spend gold for more gold.

—Alorael, who just buys all the Barter he can for everyone. Yes, it's a small waste, but then he knows he's getting the best deals.