Photo Thread Reborn

Balladeer

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: VCH
I think it's a Crocus.

Yeah, that's a crocus. In a related news, my snowdrops are blooming, my witchhazel looks promising, and I can definitely see some serious action in my lilac buds. I'll take pictures if I can.

What Latitude are you on in Canada? Nothing has even started to come to life where I am.

I think it's a Crocus.

Yeah, that's a crocus. In a related news, my snowdrops are blooming, my witchhazel looks promising, and I can definitely see some serious action in my lilac buds. I'll take pictures if I can.

What Latitude are you on in Canada? Nothing has even started to come to life where I am.

I live in Chicago. So about 40 degrees north, but I'm closeish to the lake, so it's a bit more moderate here.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
What brought you away from Australia?

Wait, what?

I've never been to Australia. I've never lived out of the United States. My home IP traces to my ISP in Chicago. My work IP traces to Chicago as well. I don't recall ever accessing this website through a proxy. I don't think any internet cafes in Chicago have Australian IP's. AFAIK, I've never even mentioned Australia in any of my posts (except this one). What on earth would give you the impression that I lived in Australia?

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
What brought you away from Australia?

Wait, what?

I've never been to Australia. I've never lived out of the United States. My home IP traces to my ISP in Chicago. My work IP traces to Chicago as well. I don't recall ever accessing this website through a proxy. I don't think any internet cafes in Chicago have Australian IP's. AFAIK, I've never even mentioned Australia in any of my posts (except this one). What on earth would give you the impression that I lived in Australia?

Well, I thought you were Canadian. Maybe it's time for a poll

Oh and BTW I'm at 52°N, or I will be in a few days

Edit: I know who I had you confused with, it's (Din ... something ) I think he/she is Canadian

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Spiritwashing

Dikiyoba is terribly confused by this product.
Sounds like one of a series of products commonly referred to as "snake oil." Or some kind of mineral water blessed at the local church-of-the-month-club.

Honestly, that looks less like snake oil than like normal soap. If you take out all the adjectives, you get water, ash, some minerals, a foaming agent/scent, and some chemical gibberish that he's probably just using to mean "sodium hydroxide" AKA lye. By mixing lye with ash with water, you get a very primitive soap. If you dissolve that in hydrogenated fats, you get a bar of soap. He's probably just diluted it enough that he gets liquid soap. It's not so much classified as "snake oil", which would be what you would get if you tried to market water or olive oil as soap (it's been done), but it falls more under "snake oil salesmanship"- he's selling you a primitive form of soap as a miracle clenser. While he's clearly not being entirely honest(electrically engineered water? Ha!), he's not lying either, and thus, the product is still kosher.

Honestly, that looks less like snake oil than like normal soap. If you take out all the adjectives, you get water, ash, some minerals, a foaming agent/scent, and some chemical gibberish that he's probably just using to mean "sodium hydroxide" AKA lye. By mixing lye with ash with water, you get a very primitive soap. If you dissolve that in hydrogenated fats, you get a bar of soap. He's probably just diluted it enough that he gets liquid soap. It's not so much classified as "snake oil", which would be what you would get if you tried to market water or olive oil as soap (it's been done), but it falls more under "snake oil salesmanship"- he's selling you a primitive form of soap as a miracle clenser. While he's clearly not being entirely honest(electrically engineered water? Ha!), he's not lying either, and thus, the product is still kosher.
I'll have to take your word on it, since I barely passed chemistry in high school, and therefore couldn't quite understand a good part of the label. In the meantime, I will say that I've been to a holistic show once or twice, and some of the labels there were definitely weirder.

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone guess what

i have a new house that's what

it's kind of sparse at the moment since none of the furniture has been delivered yet but it's still nice

house01.jpg

here you can see the gas log fireplace (not operational, the gas isn't turned on yet). by the end of the day there was a fridge to the left of that intercom.

house02.jpg

observe my kitchen. also look how good i am at unpacking stuff (not very)

house03.jpg

these are stairs. they are a practical means of conveyance between different elevations, provided you have functional legs. also you can catch a glimpse of my car in the garage. also also notice the burglar alarm which i managed to set off by accident the first time i went in

house04.jpg

have a backyard. there is a covered deck and a bit of gardeny area around the outside. i'm probably going to put some vegetables there at some point and maybe a fig tree

house14.jpg

here is some more backyard. there is a clothes line strung up behind that little maze of wooden wall things but i have a dryer so who cares

house08.jpg

this is the bathroom. it is an important room.

house09.jpg

this is the master bedroom. it is mine because i am the master. there will be a bed in it soon.

house12.jpg

here is what the house looks like from outside. the maple tree in front of it is dead but hopefully there will be a new one soon.

well, that is my house. see you later with more house pics when i actually have furniture.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
house14.jpg

That's not a backyard. That's like a courtyard.

Do you live in the southwest/California? The rocks and sand and plants seem to fit with their landscaping style.

(This is all just because I am envious of your awesome house. I want a house like that! My house is old and boring)

aussie aussie aussie

oi oi oi

yes, i'm australian.
(...)

Is it a World Cup year or did we win the Davis Cup? wink
And the jar of Vegemite on the shelf in the kitchen is a giveaway.

Sweet place btw. I like the floors downstairs. Is that an a/c unit on the patio - shouldn't it be covered somehow?

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
Looking forward to seeing your fantastic decorating skills later. smile

well, on the bright side, there's no longer a huge pile of packaging material in my living room

on the down side, there's still a bunch of self-assembly furniture that i haven't finished assembling yet

on the down side, there's still a bunch of self-assembly furniture that i haven't finished assembling yet
Though it's fun when the instructions look like they've been through a round or two of our Babelfish contests.

Just out of curiosity, why are you assembling furniture that assembles itself? (Well, you said it was self-assembling!) tongue

• 2 weeks later...