Will this ever be GPL'd?

jamesmcm

Assumedly, BoA will never be rewritten using a different engine (I assume that by new engine you mean the Geneforge based engine that has gone into A4 and A5). Jeff has no reason to take the time to.

Jeff has also not stated that BoA will ever be open sourced, but we hope that BoE has set a precedent which he will eventually follow. Obviously, the main requirements are that Spiderweb no longer be making money from selling BoA and BoA not containing any code similar enough to the games which are making money to be a threat. The latter may actually be fairly well met, as obviously BoA uses an older game engine than the newer Avernum games, and as I understand it, Jeff has also written a new graphics layer in the newer games which can use OpenGL and DirectX, rather than Quickdraw and whatever it is BoA uses on Windows.

I agree it would be nice to get this into open source. The problem with Blades of Exile is that we pretty much reached very significant barriers porting things reliably. While it is still possible, it would require rewriting very significant parts of the code.

Perhaps there is a middle ground somewhere. If the engine is now obsolete, but sales are still being made, perhaps it would be possible to get a few experienced programmers with proven track records here access to the source code under a non-disclosure agreement. It may be tricky, but I'm sure some contract could be worked out. That way Jeff still gets to sell and the product continues to improve at the cost of a risk of compromising the source. This would really benefit everyone.

Doubtful. I wasn't involved when Blades of Exile's source was released, but I remember that a lot of the initial problems were related to tracking down the source. That, and OBoE was viewed as a gift to the community, where Jeff could wash his hands of it afterwards. A closed development would require more effort from him, not less.

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted By: Niemand
...and as I understand it, Jeff has also written a new graphics layer in the newer games which can use OpenGL and DirectX, rather than Quickdraw and whatever it is BoA uses on Windows.

Most likely WinGDI. Either that or a custom graphics engine that merely blits a preset bitmap to the screen, which really speeds up the drawing, especially with GDI+.
I also hope it will be GPL'd. The GPLing of BOE was wonderful. It really caught me back on to Spiderweb Software.
If BOA is opened, I hope it will be intelligible and not use too much directx or opengl because those don't work so well on my compiler for some reason (Dev-C++).

Quote:
. . . I hope it will be intelligible and not use too much directx or opengl because those don't work so well on my compiler for some reason (Dev-C++).

I would not count on the former, given what I've seen of the BoE and BoA Editor code. Not only was Jeff in a hurry while writing most of this code, I suspect, but he also seems to habitually use an indentation style that is, er, unlike any other I've ever seen. On the other hand, I think you can be pretty sure there would be no OpenGL or DirectX code, although I think this would be something we would work to change, as good, fast graphics for end users is a generally more important goal than ease of development. (Tridash is doing some tinkering in this direction with the 3D Editor, but it's still at an exploratory/experimental stage, I believe.)