Geneforge 5 v1.0.2 update - Fixes For Missing Text Problem, Saving Problem[G5]

We are in the process of releasing Geneforge 5 for Windows v1.0.2. By the end of Monday the 9th, the download will be available on the main Geneforge 5 page.

This upgrade should help with two problems.

1. Missing Text and Messed Up Graphics

Some people, after launching the game, find that the title screen is white and the game text is missing. If this happens, to you, go into the Start Menu, enter the folder Programs > Spiderweb Software > Geneforge 5, and run the DirectX version of the game. It might work better. (It has been tested and found to solve the problem at least on some configurations.)

If the main game application works for you, just continue to use that. The main application (which uses OpenGL) seems to be faster on most machines.

2. Problems Saving the Game

Geneforge 5 normally writes saved games in the My Documents folder. It had code to write the saved games elsewhere if that folder was missing, but there was a bug in it. That bug is now fixed.

As always, if you try this update out, please let me know if it helps or doesn't help.

- Jeff Vogel

(Edited 3/7/09, 1 PM - I replaced the v102 with a newer version. I tweaked some things that might improve performance. The download link is the same.)

Originally Posted By: Darkdread
btw, I've observed when I start a scenario/dungeon is fine, but as I advance and more creatures/people appear it gets slow. For example inside a town is very slow frown

I've noticed the same thing. Also, when I called up the Win Task Manager, the Page File usage started to climb up in an arithmetic progression corresponding to the size of the map currently uncovered in the game. By the time that I was finished exploring the map, it was almost at 750 MB. I am not a programmer, but it may have something to do with buffer allocation or something.

Machine specs:- 1GB RAM, GeForce 4(Yeah I know it's old) :=)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...