Kratoa-kel [spoilers][G5]

Is there a non-violent way through here? I've read repeatedly that the whole game can be finished.

In fact all I see is that Stupidity Is The Only Solution. You're sent down with explicit instructions not to tell anyone about the assassination attempt, but what's the only way to proceed?

Guardian Makar: I'm pompous and I hate you.

Player: Oh. Someone tried to kill Astoria!

Guardian Makar: Really? Well, you came to the right person!

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think what follows is reasonably predictable to any PC with an Intelligence of 3.

Guardian Makar: Bwah-haha! You never suspected by cunning deathtrap!

Player: Right, you Machiavellian god, you.

Anyone who's been in the Army can accept those as one in the same. The plot here says that a member of the governing body has ordered you to pursue an investigation discretely, not 'tell all to officer yokel, he'll make things right' (as if that wasn't against every aesop in the series.)

But this is aside from the sporadic loading screen hint that the game can be solved with diplomacy and mechanics. Does that not apply?

Mechanics helps quite a bit in the Stoneworks. You can use stealth and some golems to get through most of it without getting your hands dirty. Can the golem(s) manage the end without your help? I'm not confident, but it's possible.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the Army has plots to induce stupidity. That's more the CIA's job.

Even with buffing and healing, the servant golems will crumble before entering the reactor room that locks the exit behind you and traps you in with a pack of roamers. It would've been ideal if the reactor room damaged them as well, then I could just keep them dazed and trapped in the doorway.

I could probably pass this if I brought the difficulty down from Torment, but I'm just being obstinate.

That will prevent damage from the core, but not from the fidos pouring in from the west, at least not with a mechanics of 13. When they enter your options are to evacuate to the side room to deal with them, or try to fight them in between punching panels. Letting the core go into overload doesn't damage the rovers at all (because the computer is a cheating bastard.)

You could do all this another way: go in through the back way. How you do it is simple, although it will require a lot of fighting.

Click to reveal..
Just attack Makar in Kroata Kel, kill him, and get his key. But be warned, this will make the entire town hostle. You could do it if you wanted to, since there aren't really any quests ( as far as I can remember) and you could go stealing everything now that everyone is dead.

Originally Posted By: DokEnkephalin
I think you missed the point; if I were playing a build that could wipe out towns at level 30, on torment difficulty no less, then I wouldn't have any problem with a pack of guardian roamers.

So really, when you think about it, he's not leading you into a trap: you're leading him into one.