Geneforge 5: Graphical issues

Xaiya

Okay, so I downloaded the Startup thing (didn't change the name). It installed G5 nicely. I opened up G5...and graphics appeared to be missing.

It showed the Spiderweb Software logo, but the intro pic was gone. Same with the title screen (although the Start New Game, Settings, etc. things were still there) It just looked white for the missing ones

Even the Copyright Spiderweb Software text at the lower right along with other things were white.

I've tried uninstalling and redownloading and reinstalling. Restarting the computer doesn't work.

The graphics are in the data folder, though.

And I'm using Vista.

This is what we have been sending to users with odd graphics problems. Apart from these steps, there is not much I can say at this point:

There have been some reports of slowness and graphics glitches in Geneforge 5: Overthrow. This game requires a video card with OpenGL support and at least 32 MB of memory. A video processor like the Intel GMA might work, but some users have had speed problems. We have noticed that video cards over 6 years old or so are having a really hard time.

While Geneforge 5 can run well on even fairly old hardware, when a machine is sufficiently old, it may not work. However, there are steps that might help.

STEP 1

First, read the section "Geneforge 5: Overthrow Is Running Slowly On My System!" on the support page

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge5/techsupp.html

Be sure to follow all of these steps.

STEP 2

If these steps don't help, we have made a new test version of Geneforge 5 that might work better. You can download the beta version here:

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=155801#Post155801

If you still can't get Geneforge 5 to run, your system might just not have enough power to run our newer games. This is very unfortunate, but we suggest checking out our older titles. These do not use the graphics card at all, and you might find that they work better.

STEP 3

Finally, if you can't get your system to run the game, it would be helpful to know what its system specs are. Select Run from the Start Menu, run dxdiag, choose to save your system profile, and E-mail it to us. We might be able to use it to give you more information.

Good luck!