A3: Uranium bars

I have always wondered about these.

I am not one to use FAQ's or walkthroughs, but i have not been able to figure this one out on my own. I know the Uranium bars make you weaker sometimes by carrying them, but is there any purpose to them? Since they are so few and far between in the game, and are also well hidden, i would be surprised if there was nowhere where they could make you some money or finish a quest...

does anyone know?

Hold onto them for a few thousand years and you'll have your choice of making an atomic bomb, making a tidy profit by selling bars to unscrupulous and probably unshaven men, or getting imprisoned in an undisclosed location indefinitely.

—Alorael, who suspects that the bars are rare because making inexplicable illness a common occurrence in Exile would have lost Jeff too many customers.

so i guess the only question remains, why are they in loot chests sometimes, or hidden in back tunnels of dungeons? for example i had to walk up a lava river once to get one because i thought it had some significance. it was way at the top on a little safe square so i thought it had some value. but i guess not...

Cursed items were an import from Wizardry, I'd imagine -- the other major influence Jeff has cited, besides Ultima -- in which they made somewhat more sense, due to longer and more dangerous dungeon treks, vastly more expensive or risky identification, and more limited inventory slots.

In A3, it's also worth noting that some cursed items are actually useful when uncursed, and that the "uncurse items" option when buying a healer's services will remove curses from every item in the selected character's inventory. Uranium bars will sell for a pretty good price when uncursed (or, in A2, even while cursed.) I just leave them lying around in temples, then pick them up whenever I find something useful but cursed like the Humanskin Gloves. Cursed items are rare enough that you probably won't have any disappearing if you leave them in one place.