A3: Completely Inept

I know that this skill (well lack thereof) gets you a 40% exp bonus, so i tried making a party with all four characters with this problem. I put the game on hard and boy it really is hard.

In regular games I always give my mage/priest brittle bones, because theyre never really in the mix anyways. but completely inept is totally different.

has anyone else tried this? any experiences to share

A forum member once ran Hapless, a single character with Cursed at Birth and Completely Inept, through Avernum 2. He found it difficult but managed to win.

Negative traits that give you an experience bonus tend to be worse than they appear. The traits are bad enough to hurt and the experience bonus is reduced by the fact that you gain levels faster and therefore get less experience from most things you kill. You'll be a few levels higher, not 40% higher in level.

—Alorael, who more importantly finds the positive traits compelling enough that he never has room for negative traits. That means this whole post boils down to lacking personal experience with negative traits and therefore limited ability to offer advice.

It's doable in torment so far in my game, but it's hard at the start and you have to be careful with your build to avoid getting hit. As Alorael said you go up quicker at the start and those extra skill points add up.

I've read it's harder with 2 positive traits since you go up slower and don't have all those extra skill points to allocate.

In the first three Avernum games, experience bonuses and penalties actually make a significant difference, much more so than they do in A4 and A5. The difference between a character with two positive traits and two negative traits by the end of the game will probably exceed 10 levels, whereas in A4 it'll be more like 4 or 5. Completely Inept isn't bad as long as you put nearly all your fighters' early skill points into weapon skill so you can actually hit things.

In A1 and A2 the negative traits make the beginning harder, the middle easier, and the end hard again when you hit the level cap. In A3 there is no cap and things get better.

—Alorael, who still points out that the difference between two negative traits and two positive traits is going to be 100% or higher. If you expect to get a 100% difference in levels, you will be highly disappointed. The negative traits are viable, but they certainly aren't optimal together.

Originally Posted By: abvball
I know that this skill (well lack thereof) gets you a 40% exp bonus, so i tried making a party with all four characters with this problem. I put the game on hard and boy it really is hard.

In regular games I always give my mage/priest brittle bones, because theyre never really in the mix anyways. but completely inept is totally different.

has anyone else tried this? any experiences to share
My favorite party combines "Completely Inept" with "Cursed at Birth," with four combination priests/mages; I sometimes even play on the hardest difficulty. It can be done.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
The negative traits are viable, but they certainly aren't optimal together.
That's news to me. I always play with two negative traits, and have no problems; it's just harder.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Sluggish is always terrible and not worth using for the lost AP alone. Even Brittle Bones isn't as bad.

It can be rather funny, though, particularly when given to a mage who's also wearing armor that drops his AP a point. I thought of him as my REAL tank: move, fire, move, fire, repeat. (Mind you, this being a mage, "fire" was literal.")

• 2 weeks later...

Without save and reload, why would anyone want to be an adventurer? You end up dead very fast. Also note that many Spiderweb games have adventuring thrust upon you. In A1 you could conceivably take your exile and settle down somewhere, but you appear to lack all marketable skills but killing things. In A2 you're doing your duty for king and country. In A3 its the same, and no one else is particularly enthusiastic about you and your second-tier compromise party either.

—Alorael, who notes that all (successful) Avernum parties have characters who manage to do their jobs even with negative traits. The character in aggregate must consider himself or herself good enough. Sure, being inept doesn't help, but when you're pretty good at everything anyway (and that seems to stretch "inept," doesn't it?) then it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Stareye and the Siege of Spidweb
Without save and reload, why would anyone want to be an adventurer? You end up dead very fast. Also note that many Spiderweb games have adventuring thrust upon you. In A1 you could conceivably take your exile and settle down somewhere, but you appear to lack all marketable skills but killing things. In A2 you're doing your duty for king and country. In A3 its the same, and no one else is particularly enthusiastic about you and your second-tier compromise party either.

—Alorael, who notes that all (successful) Avernum parties have characters who manage to do their jobs even with negative traits. The character in aggregate must consider himself or herself good enough. Sure, being inept doesn't help, but when you're pretty good at everything anyway (and that seems to stretch "inept," doesn't it?) then it doesn't matter.
i guess that makes sense, but at the same time, if you have brittle bones, you probably won't be putting yourself in harm's way very much

even still, you would be more likely to find spellcasters with brittle bones learning the craft in a school than from the studies of monsters with equally big killing devices.

then again, now that i think about it, maybe having brittle bones is kind of like being anemic. before modern advances in medicine, you didn't really know that you had it until it was too late anyway.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
Does anyone else think about Joxer (from Xena) when discussing completely inept? laugh

He is completely in wrong profession. tongue

On Dragonlance-books Raistlin had health-issue which made him weak but still he was powerful mage (as black mage, as red mage he was weakish at beginning).

Raistlin may have grown more powerful as a black mage, but he was always a very powerful mage, even when wearing red.