A3: Bug joining thieves guild??

I need some help...

I want to join the thieves guild, but im having a problem. I got the skribbane herb from shayder, and took it to lorelei. only problem is, kendra wont seem to accept it? i even buy a pair of her gloves after, cuz by when she says that seems like the code. I sell the skribbane but she wont open up a secret passage like shes supposed to. any ideas? my problem could be caused by the fact that i picked up the skribbane before i actually got the quest? or that i bought her nice pair of gloves earlier in the game and maybe buying the gloves after selling skribbane is necessary??

i could use some help please and thank you

She won't accept any skribbane you happen to pick up. Once you get the quest in Shayder you need to pick up the package for delivery where it's hidden. I can't recall where that is anymore, but the quest probably tells you. Once you bring her that specific batch of skribbane she'll open the secret passage for you.

—Alorael, who will add that you don't get to join the guild. You do get them to help you out, but apparently the standard gamer's methods of opening every door in every home and taking everything not nailed down isn't accepted guild practice.

ah see the problem is that i picked up the skribbane from the room in the town where the guy in the bar said it was...so i think i got the right one but the problem is that i did it before i was assigned the quest. i also picked up other skribbane along the way so maybe i have too much so the game wont recgonize it?

ill go try again and post tomorrow what happened

You do need to actually get the quest from Irvine before you can finish it, but you shouldn't have any problems from picking up the package before getting the quest.

—Alorael, who wouldn't worry about other skribbane. The game will be checking for a special item, not the usual and usable skribbane item. Make sure that the package is, in fact, listed in your party's special items.+

No. That package is retrieved from Delis, which is west of Krizsan. It's an otherwise entirely inconsequential town.

—Alorael, who can't recall what that package is called either. It should fairly obviously not be the one from Shayder, though, since that's not anywhere close to where you get it. The item description probably helps too.

From A3 faq:

2 - Deliver Package to Lorelei

Where to Get: Irvine in Shayder

How to Complete: First buy booze from the innkeeper to get an 'in' with Irvine. The package is south in a tiny room. To deliver it to Lorelei without incident, use a secret crossing west of Lorelei to take you past the checkpoint. An easier method is to use Ernest's teleporter.

Reward: 250 XP and 1000 coins. You can also now join the Thieves' Guild.

Other place where skribbane is mentioned at Gale.