Your fav game characters, races or enemies

Emz

• 2 weeks later...

I like enemy magic users because its fun to get into spell battles and summon powerful creatures that can destroy them in an instant and I was also fond of basilisk because of there petrification ability and I also liked rakashasi because of the way they absorbed spells and used it as an advantage over their enemies which could obliterate them and get turned into dusty remains and then they could just go over there and stamp the dust into the ground where it'll be forever buried deep within

• 1 month later...

I'm off and on with Erika. I'm never quite sure if she's admirable or loathsome.

Not a big fan of the Vahnatai themselves...I like their culture though. So weird and alien and mysterious.

I think my favorite character would have to be either Solberg or the royal high priestess in E2 (the one in the castle who willingly defected from the Empire...can't remember her name). Solberg's superpowerful and a great mindduelist, but he's friendly and down to earth. A little cowardly perhaps. I mean I'm pretty sure he could have squashed the demons around his tower in E2. And if he'd only confronted Linda in the first place, instead of running away in fear, maybe the whole demon-summoning thing wouldn't have been a problem.

Garzahd's definitely my favorite enemy. Out of all the exile evil masterminds, he has the most presence in the story, and the most personality, I think. And it's cool that he has personal connections with The Five and actually has legitimate reasons for wanting them dead.

I like the chitrachs...praying mantis like things are overlooked in favour of old fashioned giant spiders and whatnot. Giant roaches shouldn't be scary at all, but a mantis is a predator, with claws covered in hooklike serrations and all.

Nephils and sliths...I don't like how they don't wear clothes. Not me being a prude, there's no reason why they'd have a nudity taboo...but they feel the cold, don't they? Actually, sliths really do, so they should rug up. Not to mention they'd want somewhere to attach pouches and scabbards to.

A few slith and nephil character portraits have clothes, but how much clothing do they need? Nephils have fur, and sliths are either cold-blooded or so weakly warm-blooded that clothing probably doesn't help much. They probably do wear belts for equipment, but fur and scales are both more resistant to chafing than puny human skin.

—Alorael, who thinks sliths may generally not wear clothes because they come from a cave. Caves are notable for the stability of their temperatures. Don't like the weather? Find a new cave.

Originally Posted By: Lachesicanics
sliths are either cold-blooded or so weakly warm-blooded that clothing probably doesn't help much.

I suppose so.

They probably do wear belts for equipment, but fur and scales are both more resistant to chafing than puny human skin.

Ok, then, but why not armour? That's useful for everyone...you have sliths and nephils with very different armour ratings, but still running round more or less naked.

—Alorael, who thinks sliths may generally not wear clothes because they come from a cave. Caves are notable for the stability of their temperatures. Don't like the weather? Find a new cave.

Exiles and Vahnatai and cave giants wear clothes, despite being in caves.

Realistically, the races are either idiots or they're in armor. Sliths may not have invented the stuff (hey, it's possible), but after encountering it on humans they'd probably pick up the idea. Humanoids in armor all look the same, though, so the sprites can't do that. Actually, this excuse could go for the clothes, too. Hm.

Exiles, at least, wear clothes because the Empire has weather and, presumably modesty taboos. Vahnatai wear clothes because they are warm blooded, they may also have taboos, and vahnatai cloaks are cool.

—Alorael, who has gotten a beautiful idea from Thuryl. The sliths wear "leather" armor. Specifically, they wear armor made from slith hide. It's always camouflaged!

Originally Posted By: McHugo's
Humanoids in armor all look the same, though, so the sprites can't do that. Actually, this excuse could go for the clothes, too.

Sorry, you've lost me there.

—Alorael, who has gotten a beautiful idea from Thuryl. The sliths wear "leather" armor. Specifically, they wear armor made from slith hide. It's always camouflaged!

Hmmm...do slith shed their skin? Cause then they could make armour out of their own hide, and avoid issues about sliths having different coloured scales.

The sprites for the games are limited. A humanoid figure in armor looks like a suit of armor and makes it hard to tell a slith from a human from a nephil, so the sprites understandably tend to emphasize naked and recognizable non-humans. They may be wearing armor that just doesn't get shown.

Most lizards moult, but they tend to do it piecemeal and leave fragmented bits of scales rather than the intact carapaces or inverted skins left by insects and snakes. Besides, I don't think slith scales are supposed to be quite thick enough to constitute armor, though of course if you attach enough bits and layer them enough you eventually get slith-hide padded armor.

—Alorael, who also notes that many species consume their shed leftovers in order to retrieve the nutrients. Do sliths? Adventuring with a buddy who sometimes peels of his skin and eats it could be uncomfortable at first.

The sprites for the games are limited. A humanoid figure in armor looks like a suit of armor and makes it hard to tell a slith from a human from a nephil, so the sprites understandably tend to emphasize naked and recognizable non-humans. They may be wearing armor that just doesn't get shown.

I don't agree with that. A full suit of armour, perhaps, but a partially armoured figure, with limbs left exposed (especially the head...tail too) can still be recognisable. A few of the PC graphics are armoured, but it remains obvious that they are humans, and you can easily distinguish skin colour as well. Troglos wear clothes and/or armour, so do vahnatai and rakshahs and liches and zombies, you can still see what they are meant to be.

I haven't had much luck with armoured/clothes sliths, but it's lots of fun creating (partially) armed or clothed nephil graphics.

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
Troglos wear clothes and/or armour, so do vahnatai and rakshahs and liches and zombies, you can still see what they are meant to be.
Vahnatai don't wear armour! Clothes, yes, but not armour.

Some of the slith/nephil PC graphics are clearly clothed.

• 4 months later...

i decided after replaying avernum 4 (yes, not in the original exile trilogy, i know) that i like nephils. they seem to be pretty good with strategy in general. i mean, they had that fortress in one of the first two games (i think 1, maybe?) with that oil trap and they attacked from an open corner of the starting fort in e/a2. then, there were a few parts in a4 where they really showed their strategic minds. there was even this one part where they had a thin bridge guarded by both nephilim and i think submission fungus.

• 2 weeks later...

In Exile 1: Escape From the Pit, there are three Nephil areas in the demo: 1. Nephilim Castle west of Formello 2. Nehilim Fort north of Cotra 3. Unfinished Fort north of Fort Duvno. The Unfinished Fort doesn't really qualify as such really, but it is mentioned as a nephil fort and has a nephil chieftain.

Also the demo covers nearly half of the land area of the game, the most of any other spiderweb game!

In Exile 2: Crystal Souls, you have the Nephil Castle just to the west of Fort Ganrick. Although you later come across concentrations of Nephilim, there is no real fort for them.

My favorite character is 'gasp' Archmage Solberg. Garzahd/Empire made formidable opponents.