Question

Ouroboros

Because Jeff didn't feel like doing so. Which means he is still making enough money from new sales to keep selling it instead of letting it go for free. Or he doesn't feel like looking for the source code which was why it took so long for BoE to be open sourced. This is only a guess since the only real way to get an answer is to email Jeff and ask.

Exactly.

Of course, redoing Exile 1 and 2 in BoE might be kind of hard, since the game mechanics are somewhat different...

...however, I believe Ishad Nha would be able to do a successful conversion. He's actually been working on one, but without all the interactive stuff (events, special encounters, what the people say, etc)

The Exile 3 template is found at:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/exthree.zip

It has the first 21 large towns. I left out the alternate (damaged) versions of the five main towns because they were too specific to the plot of Exile 3 itself. By main towns I mean: Krizsan, Shayder, Sharimik, Lorelei and Gale.

Edit:

As I recall there were problems because BoE is limited to exactly 256 terrain types whereas the Exile 3 game had provision for more, the mechanics of the two games were different.

I have not fully decrypted the town entries, in the town.dat file, so I can't currently say.

Looking at the Exile 3 graphics then looking at the terrain types of a blank BoE scenario, what I see suggests that a lot of the problems will come in Vahnatai areas. Terrains like Vahnatai machinery, strange walls, slime pools and barriers seem to be the problem. Depends how define plot-relevant of course.

I suggest implementing the slime pool as a monster rather than a terrain type... and the barriers are certainly plot-relevant. So that's at least two you don't need.

I'm not sure about the machinery – you may be able to do without those too. And the Wall of Filth is probably unnecessary, unless you want to include the friendly roach cave.

P.S. You're not saying you actually created a blank scenario to look at the terrain types? shocked

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
That is four down, pentagrams are still not included.
I forget, does E3 even use the pentagrams? I don't remember seeing them...

Currently the spreadsheet contains errors, I am not too sure what is happening. I gave up when I hit the excess terrain problem.
...?

Terrain in a blank scenario, look at bladbase.exs for example.
Yeah, of course.

The terrain types problem seems to be the bottleneck.

A BoE Scenario can hold up to 256 different types of Terrain, and Exile 3 uses 287 in total. 31 pieces of Terrain would have to be taken out... Also I am pretty sure Exile 3 uses way more Scenario Event timers than BoE. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Originally Posted By: Emz
The terrain types problem seems to be the bottleneck.

A BoE Scenario can hold up to 256 different types of Terrain, and Exile 3 uses 287 in total. 31 pieces of Terrain would have to be taken out... Also I am pretty sure Exile 3 uses way more Scenario Event timers than BoE. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Would it be too much to ask you to post a list of the 31 terrain types used in Exile 3 that are not part of the default terrain set in Blades of Exile?

Incidentally, Ishad, Exile 2 actually has terrain types that Blades lacks even the graphic for.

Oh, so for each animation subtract 3... how many animations, then? Water, water rock, water bridges (2), lava, waterfall, conveyors (4), fire, torches (2)... did I miss any? That's 13; 13 x 3 = 39... shocked ...that can't be right...

Were you counting graphics, though? Because it might be that one graphic is used for more than one terrain...

I count (4*50) + 32 = 232 conventional E3 graphics. Then there are 14 animations. This gives a total of 246 graphics. Now some graphics are used for more than one terrain type, prime example are door pictures. Then there are blocked terrains.

One approach is this:

when I draw up a conversion table I take the town.dat file and alter the terrain in one town map. New terrain is all type 0 except for one specimen each of types 1 thru 255, all neatly arranged in lines of 17. Then I send the party into this town and examine each terrain type. (I keep a 48*48 grid of hex numbers saved in a spreadsheet for this, also a 64*64 grid.)

In Avernum 3 there are two types of floors, "cave" and "surface". Thus type 0 in the first is like BoA type 0 while type 0 in the second is like BoA type 37. So in Exile 3 I will need to try this in a surface town and in a cave town.

(I of course make a back up of the town dat file.)

Edit:

That is the theory, in practice I find terrain types occuring on the automap but not in the town, then I get all these "No room for graphic debug # # #" messages.

Edit:

Another approach is to see what is on the map, then look at the spreadsheet and see what number that type of terrain has.