Living in Avernum

Oops. I first intended to post a "Living in Terrestia" thread, but then I realised I don't actually know anything about Terrestia, not being much of a Geneforge player. I obviously forgot where I was. Please relocate.

I would probably go for Almaria in A1 times. Not that I particularly like being in or dealing with Almaria in the games, but it is relatively nice and clean, is well situated between the Great Cave and the ToM, has access to the waters and, most importantly, is one of the few places where you can get edible food and good drinks.

But that's me. Imagining I really was one of my characters, I'd probably pick someplace like the Waterfall Warren. My life as an adventurer turned me mad, you see, and I want to be unreachable to others, but still be able to visit places, maybe hire some gazers and raid a town or two, and visit my special friend Erika from time to time.

Patrick's Tower. I don't know what I would do without unlimited access to all human knowledge, so as far as Avernum goes, a big library would probably be ideal for me. Patrick seems like a good guy to work for, cool people are guaranteed to pass through the tower all the time, and the area is one of the safest in Avenum (if this is real life we're talking about, I would probably never leave the Great Cave for fear of dying horribly or worse). If I can't live in the tower, I'd live nearby. Not Almaria though, I always imagined that place being like Amsterdam for some reason, nice to visit but you don't want to live there.

This has come up before, and Formello is still the place to be. It's scenic (for a cave), it's relatively safe, and the face-leaping spiders aren't really that bad once you get used to them.

—Alorael, who would be much more worried about turgid, fleshy sex drones. Or GIFTS. Or horrific monsters of the deep. No, Formello is a good home.

I don't know, Formello is kind of earthquake prone. Plus there are all those rats. I know those are still better than the Eastern Gallery's chitrach problem.

Patrick's Tower isn't far from the main trade routes, quick access to the Castle and Almiria. If it wasn't for all those demons living downstairs, it would be perfect.

The Portal Fortress would be an interesting place to live, I think. I mean, if you're there, you're basically on the crossroads of the world. It's easy to make a living on trade there, and you're pretty much safe from anything short of an invasion/Vahnatai portal disruptance. Plus, it's easy to go anywhere from the Portal Fortress, even if it costs you.

I think the surface is categorically nicer than Avernum, what with having sunlight and trees ("...What're they for?") and fresh air and fewer chthonic horrors and all. We're going for Avernum proper here, though.

—Alorael, who has been generally disappointed by the absence of true abominations of the deeps. The beasts tend towards lizards, bats, worms, and slimes, which vary in aggression and disgustingness but don't really evoke true terror.

Originally Posted By: At what price, vowels?

—Alorael, who has been generally disappointed by the absence of true abominations of the deeps. The beasts tend towards lizards, bats, worms, and slimes, which vary in aggression and disgustingness but don't really evoke true terror.

That's why I liked the mushroom quest in The Za Khazi Run. It had those creepy stalking things (Although I liked the exile graphic better.)

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Patrick's Tower. I don't know what I would do without unlimited access to all human knowledge, so as far as Avernum goes, a big library would probably be ideal for me. Patrick seems like a good guy to work for, cool people are guaranteed to pass through the tower all the time, and the area is one of the safest in Avenum.

Safe except "few" Demons/Haakais live at cellar.

I would live near miners to rob them and sell crystals at towns if lived at underworld, if lived at upperworld then somewhere near biggest merchant route to be able rob them occasionally. After saving upper- and underworld few times its time to get something back.

Picking Dharmon is like picking Fort Draco. Both cities are not especially well placed, extremely filthy and fumy (remember the metal works) and there are alot nicer towns right around the corner.

I always wondered what that place north of Fort Remote used to look like. Somehow, I always imagined it being very pretty.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Originally Posted By: Nikki.
One of the cities in the Great Cave. Dharmon, perhaps? Or maybe Blosk.

Dharmon? You think they have repaired town after Shade's attack already? Blosk wouldn't be dull place so not bad choice.

You think they repaired the damage done to Formello after cavequakes/the Shade attack?

Also, Dharmon is right near the Castle. So it's in a great location - just off the main trade route through the cave, and right near all the important happenings. Also, Dharmon in A1 was quite lovely.

these are all going to be modern day.

i'd probably live someplace in provincial avernum if i actually had a choice since it's on the surface and all but still has the relative freedom of being under the rule of avernum, rather than the empire.

if i had to pick somewhere in the caves, i'd probably pick new formello, since it's close to the surface and seems to have a pretty decent economy. finally, if i had to pick someplace in avernum proper, i'd probably live in blosk. except for the whole thing with the shades, it's been a relatively safe place to live and it's a pretty decent sized city in the great cave. plus, there's nothing wrong with working to help with the clean up of the city.