Is my progression choice in A1 not that good?

After a hard beginning in A1 I finally found how do first steps. So mainly I explored the 4 cities closed to the start area. I did the minor quests linked to those cities, at least those I resolved. I solved the bandits problem of the fort, then goblin problem.

Then I decided to solve the undead problem. But isn't this a bit too soon. I get characters that died a bit too much. I have pain to pregress even if I'm close to the end of the undead cave, I think I'm stuck and couldn't return back for restoring mana because I didn't keep enough back.

My characters are level 4/5. I was wondering if my progression choice is good. I don't see much else to do. I have seen the multiple panels requesting to go in castle for quests but that's quite far. For the quest(s) linked to the north dragon I wonder if this is a good thing to do yet. And for recovering the stolen necklace of the mayor of north town I bet it's too soon yet.

Any suggestion with as few spoil than possible?

If "undead cave" means the spiral near Mertis, leave it till the party is at a higher level. Monsters are tough and there is no easy exit when the party is badly beaten up.

You can always use the Character Editor to remove the party from town. You will lose all progress in the town but you will be able to get out immediately.

The Mertis Spiral is an endurance test since it only gets worse on the way out. You need to have a supply of potions to help out if you aren't high level.

You should finish all the possible quests and dungeons in the northeast part of the map (Eastern Gallery and tunnels about Motrax's cave) before Mertis. Go south and visit the Tower of Magi and then head west to the Great Cave and the Castle while probably skipping the Honeycomb isn't that bad. It gives you a chance to buy spells and pick up some easier quests.

Thanks, yes that's the spiral, yes it's when return back that I'm stuck and yes potion to restore mana except I already used them in previous exploration.

I'm very close to end of spiral as there's only a little part of the map unexplored, I'll try finish the spiral in case this disable undeads when going back and if not I'll try get a quite old save but in fact probably just before I started look for the undead of Mertis.

Then I'll try your suggestions, but in northeast I think I'll avoid the ancient cave that already stuck me at the beginning. Castle and tower of magi can be reach so soon in the game, nice i'll try that.

EDIT: I used a boat up to Almaria and now I'm quite close to the Castle. Cool! smile I'll see if I got some easier quests here and if not I'll try the north east.

Doing the Spiral at that level is quite a deed. It's possible, but really not necessary. You'll be in a lot less pain if you just clear the entire Eastern Gallery and everything to the north of there (NE Avernum, Aranea Caves...) before going south.

But know this: it's not as important when you do what as how you treat your party. As a beginner, go with 4 characters and put as many skill points as possible in Endurance, then Dexterity for fighters and Intelligence for Casters. Don't spread too much.

Well in fact before trying north east I took a boat to go to the castle. I'll see a bit there then will look at the north east. The ancient cave gave me a signal I interpreted (wrongly) as the north east isn't for the beginning (despite talks lead you here quite fast).

For the character management I followed a bit the tips given in the guide linked above but don't follow it fully and focus on intelligence for casters as you said. But on strength instead of endurance and dex because I saw that in the tips. And well I also spread a bit on few stuff, but don't regret much for cave lore and arcane lore.

Thanks for the little spoil, this sort of mechanism is a little frustrating. But it's almost too late for Cave Lore, they have 4 but one who has 2. I'll wait and anyway the effect is already quite high.

I don't have much problem now I followed the directions, the castle and Almaria throw me back to north east and setup a few thing. Now I am enough experienced the mayor of Formello give me a quest probably quite long. I found the dragon cave and reach Fort Draco. My focus will be on Mayor of Formello mission and don't forget the option to visit the magi tower.

EDIT: Lol your spoil was quite minor, 4 steps and few dialog after I read it, I saw the option to buy learning. smile

Originally Posted By: Vent
EDIT: Lol your spoil was quite minor, 4 steps and few dialog after I read it, I saw the option to buy learning. smile
I would've included the name of the town, but I couldn't remember. Also, there other people in other towns/areas where you can buy skills; and regardless of the skill bought, you can't buy higher than level 5 for each character.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
... you can't buy higher than level 5 for each character.

I believed so but quote I could buy up to level 6 for a character for cave lore. Not that I wanted 6 but I was expecting the limit and instead get a training. I haven't tried to see the limit for this training.

Originally Posted By: Vent
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
... you can't buy higher than level 5 for each character.

I believed so but quote I could buy up to level 6 for a character for cave lore. Not that I wanted 6 but I was expecting the limit and instead get a training. I haven't tried to see the limit for this training.
Allow me a moment to clarify. What I meant was if you you buy a skill from someone, you can only get up to level 5 from the person selling it. You can still train in the skill (unless the description says otherwise), but I have no idea of the limit.

No no I didn't train normally, but just buy the skill Cave Lore and get it raised to 6. I'm almost sure because it's surprised me as I was expecting a similar behavior than with Barter.

And no it wasn't in a training area but in the shop where the guy learn you Cave Lore.

But for sure this requires a second check as it seems not a normal behavior. I am using the 2.0 version and in OS X in case this has an influence.

EDIT: But quote that the character had trained before some cave lore skill.

EDIT2: Ha ok Dikiyoba probably gives the explanation, it's a base bonus and it isn't used for the limit of 5.