A1: Ritual Of Safety?

I hereby confirm no such ritual exists. Correction. It exists, but neither you nor (probably) anybody else in Avernum knows it or will ever learn it. The Gauntlet was built by the Empire, to secure their only way back into Avernum (save teleportation), as they had sealed off all other tunnels.

I've always wondered why they would keep that particular tunnel open, though. The Empire has a few outposts running in A1, and they're all situated very, very far away from the Drake Tunnels. It's actually no good for supplementing or, if needed, extracting their agents in Avernum. But then, it may have been the entry for the Empire's invading forces in the SW, which had no connection to the main army.

No wait. I think it's stated somewhere in the series that the Gauntlet was sealed off... but maybe that was after A2.

Edit:

@Alorael: Really? Geez. I was so sure it didn't. I think I even read a walkthrough somewhere that said it didn't exist...

And by the way Carranzero, it's really better to put your questions into one single topic if you have a few of them. Even if they don't come up simultaneously.

I've nearly driven myself sane looking for in A1/E1, with no success. After looking through every nook & cranny I could find about ten times over in the course of a month, I finally gave up.

Originally Posted By: Rent-an-Ihrno
I've always wondered why they would keep that particular tunnel open, though. The Empire has a few outposts running in A1, and they're all situated very, very far away from the Drake Tunnels. It's actually no good for supplementing or, if needed, extracting their agents in Avernum. But then, it may have been the entry for the Empire's invading forces in the SW, which had no connection to the main army.

No wait. I think it's stated somewhere in the series that the Gauntlet was sealed off... but maybe that was after A2.

With the number and severity of the traps in place, I guess the Empire thought that last exit didn't need to be sealed. Or maybe they wanted to be "merciful" and allow in some fresh air.

In any case, in A2/E2, you find the exit completely sealed off. I wouldn't be surprised if the Empire sent a lot of those troops through there (after performing the Ritual of Safety, of course) before sealing the exit.